Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 05:39 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have to go with the cop for this one.

I worked for 4 years in a convenience store, 3 of those years were spent working grave. You know how I instantly targeted troublemakers and shoplifters? They gave me cues and they watched me.

Normal people shopping don't pay a lot of attention to the cashier unless they have a question (and the question itself will be a giveaway) or they're ready to check out. When people come in and are over friendly or look to see if I'm watching them, or if they watch me out of the corners of their eyes, yeah, that's a pretty good sign something's going to happen. Most of the time they're deciding if I look the type to check ID on cigarettes or beer, but sometimes it's to see how alert I am to what they're doing.

For instance, if I see little kids over by the candy throwing looks my way, I'll walk over and ask if I can help them. If they asked me why I was there, do you think I'm going to say, "Well, gee, you're watching me like you're waiting for me to look away so you can steal some candy."? Heck, no. I'm just going to ask if I can help them find something. Guess what? The answer is always no and they always leave without buying anything.

Cops have the same antenna. There's things people do and don't do that sends up a red flag and tells them they better check a person out. Some cops can't even articulate what it is they saw. They'll say it was a hunch and it probably was. But if you are innocent, great, on your way. If you're not, then one more off the streets.

If you don't want to be pulled over, besides all the obvious reasons, then try not slowing down 20mph on the freeway when you spot a cop, or suddenly start using your blinkers all over the place like you previously weren't, don't get nervous and swerve all over the road, don't make any sudden turns and act like you're trying to get away, don't sneak peeks at the cops to see if he's watching you, and don't make a direct eye contact challenge. If you find yourself doing that, at least smile and not, but a smirk will get a cop interested when you do that. You wouldn't stare eyeball to eyeball with a strange dog that approaches you and challenge him that way, so why the heck would you do something like that to someone who has the power to arrest you and wears a gun?

Cops develop instincts to apprehend the bad guys and stay alive. They're not going to give that up just because you happen to feel put out because you got pulled over after giving off the wrong signals.

Grow up and get over it. And in the case of the cop telling the guy he stopped him because he made direct eye contact? He's doing that guy a favor and telling him how to not attract attention next time.
What you're talking about is profiling. And what is profiling? Making assumptions about people based on certain traits. Did it ever occur to you that people "profile" guys who work in convenience stores? But, you say profiling is okay and it works. I getcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:40 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
You get it... people with agendas never will... the officer mentioned his legal reason for the stop ..and his feelings ..one is legal ..the other doesn't matter UNLESS its coupled with other legal reasons

We call it the felony look... or the awxsheeit look. Parolees have it..cops have it..they know us..and we them .. regular citizens display discernrment or fear .. crooks display deceit.. fear.. and doubt... its so telling a one year took learns this.. if you want to stay alive you do

How many times have each of you looked at your children and knew they did something "wrong" long before you discovered it...
I can't pull you over for "the look"
But I can for the other 48000 vehicle codes

Get over it folks

And while were on the subject
Profiling works very very well...we aren't allowed to do it because of PC garbage

Ask the Israelis....
1. We are not your subordinates.

2. Many times. Guess what? Quite a few times I was WRONG and being overly suspicious.

3. Are you looking for a reason to pull people over or are you protecting the citizenry you serve?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,428,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Your statements are conflicting. A person who is frightened enough by the presence of a fficer to behave unusually is a person frightened enough to behave unusually...which is going to mean doing things like checking the rear view mirror frequently or staring a bit too long. All of that behavior is "not normal," but there is no "normal" for "not normal."
Like fussing and complaining about people owning police cars?

When person fussing about people owning police cars, they've already are already driving dangerously.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
1. We are not your subordinates.

2. Many times. Guess what? Quite a few times I was WRONG and being overly suspicious.

3. Are you looking for a reason to pull people over or are you protecting the citizenry you serve?
How would the police "protect" if they had to wait until crime was committed before stopping someone? Aren't there entire threads that evolve into demanding someone who has done nothing wrong being prevented from owning a gun? The term "crazy" is used to define people yet the means to do it are never brought up ither than to say someone will determine who warrants to be restricted. Could that include acting suspiciously or looking suspeciously? You bet, that is what is being promoted so why the double standard? Think about recent events, the solutions being proposed and the way they'd be implemented and then think about your comment. Guess who will be reaponsible for detecting the "crazies" which could include behaving suspiciously? I am willing to bet that if the criteria for taking a gun away from someone needed only suspecious behavior you'd be in line to vote for it. Right?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
How would the police "protect" if they had to wait until crime was committed before stopping someone? Aren't there entire threads that evolve into demanding someone who has done nothing wrong being prevented from owning a gun? The term "crazy" is used to define people yet the means to do it are never brought up ither than to say someone will determine who warrants to be restricted. Could that include acting suspiciously or looking suspeciously? You bet, that is what is being promoted so why the double standard? Think about recent events, the solutions being proposed and the way they'd be implemented and then think about your comment. Guess who will be reaponsible for detecting the "crazies" which could include behaving suspiciously? I am willing to bet that if the criteria for taking a gun away from someone needed only suspecious behavior you'd be in line to vote for it. Right?
In the first place, you are living in a dream world or you watch too much TV if you think the Police can protect you. A police presence can sometimes serve as a deterrent, but most crimes occur when cops are no where nearby and cops only know about them when they are called to the scene, at which time they attempt to prevent further harm/damage from occurring and arrest the responsible parties if that is appropriate. A good program of micro targeting using crime stats results in far better results on catching 'the bad guys' than do pulling 22 year old black guys over because they fit the 'profile' and is fair game for a law enforcement hunting expedition.

I have a friend who is a parole agent, she's white her husband is black. They have a 17 year old mixed race son. He was pulled over in front of his parent's house. His mother watched from inside the house while the cop made the kid get out of the car and sit on the curb while the cop searched his car. She walked outside when the cop was saying "you need to tell me where your dope is or i'm gonna tow this car". She asked the Officer what made him think her son had drugs in his car and he started walking back to his patrol car. She followed him and showed her badge (in California parole agents are sworn peace officers) at which time the cop apologized and said he had confused her son with someone else and he drove away. The kid is a straight A student with no prior police contact. That kid would have probably had his car towed if she hadn't been home. I know the cop who made the stop and that's his M.O.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:45 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times
More than 100 ft. before making the turn? Yikes! I'd forgotten about that rule. Well, at least I use the turn signal. About half the people in my town don't signal at all. Where are the police, then?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In the first place, you are living in a dream world or you watch too much TV if you think the Police can protect you. A police presence can sometimes serve as a deterrent, but most crimes occur when cops are no where nearby and cops only know about them when they are called to the scene, at which time they attempt to prevent further harm/damage from occurring and arrest the responsible parties if that is appropriate. A good program of micro targeting using crime stats results in far better results on catching 'the bad guys' than do pulling 22 year old black guys over because they fit the 'profile' and is fair game for a law enforcement hunting expedition.

I have a friend who is a parole agent, she's white her husband is black. They have a 17 year old mixed race son. He was pulled over in front of his parent's house. His mother watched from inside the house while the cop made the kid get out of the car and sit on the curb while the cop searched his car. She walked outside when the cop was saying "you need to tell me where your dope is or i'm gonna tow this car". She asked the Officer what made him think her son had drugs in his car and he started walking back to his patrol car. She followed him and showed her badge (in California parole agents are sworn peace officers) at which time the cop apologized and said he had confused her son with someone else and he drove away. The kid is a straight A student with no prior police contact. That kid would have probably had his car towed if she hadn't been home. I know the cop who made the stop and that's his M.O.
I think you made up that entire story, the ideas and stories you tell are legend on CD.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 714,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

If the 22 yr old didnt do anything wrong, he has nothing to worry about

Old 08-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
More than 100 ft. before making the turn? Yikes! I'd forgotten about that rule. Well, at least I use the turn signal. About half the people in my town don't signal at all. Where are the police, then?

Just imagine had a copy stopped the killer of that news crew for some minor infraction. We'll never know just like we won't wver know how many other crimes didn't happened because some cop stopped someone. Notice though, how so many always want someone stopped because they didn't make a full stop, cut them off or something else equally minor.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,404,242 times
its a unwritten rule never look a dog or a cop in the eyes, they will bite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events