Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 713,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Is making eye contact with ANYONE illegal?
gotta love the contrarian attitude. the "i want to do or say what i want to do or say, and if it ticks someone off, so much better"....these are the people who wonder why they get punched in the mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,578,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
How would the police "protect" if they had to wait until crime was committed before stopping someone? Aren't there entire threads that evolve into demanding someone who has done nothing wrong being prevented from owning a gun? The term "crazy" is used to define people yet the means to do it are never brought up ither than to say someone will determine who warrants to be restricted. Could that include acting suspiciously or looking suspeciously? You bet, that is what is being promoted so why the double standard? Think about recent events, the solutions being proposed and the way they'd be implemented and then think about your comment. Guess who will be reaponsible for detecting the "crazies" which could include behaving suspiciously? I am willing to bet that if the criteria for taking a gun away from someone needed only suspecious behavior you'd be in line to vote for it. Right?
So your advocating a "Police State" or a "Nazi" America, where the Gestapo can just stop people at random for suspicious looks, and demand to see "their "Papers." Any Cop who thinks like that should have their gun taken away from them, because they are crazy.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,536 times
Quote:
Try this. Walk into any Barrio and start looking directly into the eyes of someone, say in their late teens to early 20s as they sit on a front porch with several friends. Please, report back on the results, then ask the question again after your dental implants heal up.
Quote:
I'm not in South America, thanks.
Oh really? They have them right here in the USA, perhaps you've ventured out of a gated community and seen them? If not, visit any bar, you'll get a slightly but just as rich an experience, then do come back and let us know how it worked out for you. Come on, I know you can do it.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Add to that, try a gay bar first, then a biker bar, I think you will gain a wealth of experience from which to share. Pretty sure they have those where you live.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,578,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Except.....the guy immediately starts being argumentative and combative.
So the cop gets the "eye" stops the guy to check it out because thats what they are trained to do because often the "eye" is a symptom of suspicious activity. He gave him a made up reason not telling him it was because he gave him the "eye" because he knew, and correctly so, what **** storm that would cause. The guy was argumentative and crying about how it made him feel being followed by the cops "in light of...."Did he get a ticket? Was the cop poking, because I didn't get that impression. The impression I got was the officer was tired of the guy complaining and basically said just shut the fup or I will give you a ticket. Like my dad use to say, stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about.

Now if the guy would have kept his mouth shut or just said oh my bad I didnt know you had to signal within a particular distance, Ill remember that I would bet you it would have ended there in "have a nice day".
You can do that if you like. Noting wrong with that approach. There are a ton of people out there that won't stick up for their rights and injustice, because its easier to kiss feet. Its OK. There are enough of us out here that won't get down in the street and kiss their feet.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,239,015 times
Quote:
Oh really? They have them right here in the USA, perhaps you've ventured out of a gated community and seen them? If not, visit any bar, you'll get a slightly but just as rich an experience, then do come back and let us know how it worked out for you. Come on, I know you can do it.
I know when and where it's cool to look around, worry free. I've spent a great many years traveling around this rock.

One thing, except in some of the third world countries, is I know it's ok to be situationally aware, make eye contact, know what's going on.

The U.S.A. isn't a thirld world country. When I roll by and see a cop, engage it with nothing more than eye contact, I shouldn't have to worry about them harassing me because I looked at them.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
How would the police "protect" if they had to wait until crime was committed before stopping someone? ...
Is that a serious question? Give me your name and address. You might commit a crime sometime in the future. I want to report you.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I know when and where it's cool to look around, worry free. I've spent a great many years traveling around this rock.

One thing, except in some of the third world countries, is I know it's ok to be situationally aware, make eye contact, know what's going on.

The U.S.A. isn't a thirld world country. When I roll by and see a cop, engage it with nothing more than eye contact, I shouldn't have to worry about them harassing me because I looked at them.
I know you have a point but since what you've said doesn't apply here could you explain the relevance?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Just imagine had a copy stopped the killer of that news crew for some minor infraction. We'll never know just like we won't wver know how many other crimes didn't happened because some cop stopped someone. Notice though, how so many always want someone stopped because they didn't make a full stop, cut them off or something else equally minor.
Grasping at straws with "what if's".

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM

Old town, actually that was interesting. Would you say then, that direct eye contact can in certain situations cause another person to consider your presence something other than coincidence? It sure seems that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events