Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,349,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The number of people who have attacked this woman on a personal level in this thread, whether for her appearance or intellect, instead of focusing on her actions or motives, is amazing.
I have to agree, there is no call for it and such comments discredit those of us to believe in securing the rights of gays and lesbians to enjoy the same fundamental rights as others. I would add, that Ms. Davis' "moral lapses" are irrelevant since they all took place before her becoming a born again Christian. Somewhere in one of these multitudinous threads on this topic I pointed out that her religious zealotry isn't unusual for those who "come to jesus" late in life and who usually do so as a result of their lives spiraling out of control. "Coming to Jesus" is all too often the only life line that they could find to bring them out of the morass that they found themselves in. I won't condemn her for finding a way out of that black hole she must have emerged from, I get that part. What I will never get is the level of intolerance that it gives birth to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,286,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Nepotism is the way it works down here, and "just not that bright" is practically the Kentucky state motto. Kentucky is one of the most corrupt, most poorly educated, and most illiterate states in the US. Put all those things together, and you get a set of circumstances that is a perfect breeding ground for people like this.

I'll say again what I said in an earlier post - this sort of behavior, and mindset, may seem ludicrous everywhere else in the United States, but in Kentucky, it is the norm. This is the way things are down here. I've lived here almost 4 years, and there is not one thing about this entire episode that I find the least bit surprising or out of the ordinary. This is Kentucky, and the state is positively swarming with people exactly like her and her son.
But isn't she in a college town? You'd think there would be a certain level of intelligence around a college.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
She makes $80k/year.
She could buy the whole trailer park on that salary!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I have to agree, there is no call for it and such comments discredit those of us to believe in securing the rights of gays and lesbians to enjoy the same fundamental rights as others. I would add, that Ms. Davis' "moral lapses" are irrelevant since they all took place before her becoming a born again Christian. Somewhere in one of these multitudinous threads on this topic I pointed out that her religious zealotry isn't unusual for those who "come to jesus" late in life and who usually do so as a result of their lives spiraling out of control. "Coming to Jesus" is all too often the only life line that they could find to bring them out of the morass that they found themselves in. I won't condemn her for finding a way out of that black hole she must have emerged from, I get that part. What I will never get is the level of intolerance that it gives birth to.
Yeah, I have relatives who were out of control and then suddenly "got saved" and turned their lives around. On the surface, all looks well. Then you take a little peak just below the surface and realize they took all that dysfunction and addiction and re-directed it into extreme religion They're addicted to religion, and the dysfunction never truly leaves their lives.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,255,272 times
From Stisnexto Kim Davis

"Protesters just called someone a pervert and cried about Sodom and Gomorrah BUT HE'S JUST GETTING A ------- FISHING LICENSE GUYS"

Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 AM

7,257 posts, read 7,120,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
But isn't she in a college town? You'd think there would be a certain level of intelligence around a college.
It's a religious college.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,531,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
It's a religious college.

No, it is not. It's a state-run university.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,292,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Ok, so even assuming her sins don't count since she got a do-over when she found Jesus, where is the evidence that she has been applying her religious standards on any thing besides homosexuality? Does she ask all applicants if they've been married before and then decline the applications for divorced people since the bible explicitly prohibits them from marrying again? Or is it just this one particular sin she happens to get all worked up about. Her hypocrisy isn't just limited to "do as I say, not as I do", it's the fact that it's so narrowly targeted on something she personally doesn't like and not a full application of her biblical principals across the board.

Not that it would be legally permissible to deny divorced people a marriage license, of course. But the fact that she singled gays and lesbians out for discrimination is part of why this has been such a flashpoint.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,595,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

My sympathy for her is limited.
I have no sympathy for her. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM

19,308 posts, read 17,193,101 times
A lot of pages to read through and I am sure a lot of personal attacks on Ms Davis. As for my 2 cents I think if her personal beliefs are in conflict with the duties & responsibilities that she was elected to perform than by all mean keep true to your faith but step down and allow someone to fill the job.

She was elected to fill a role not be the moral compass that the community operates under, she has free choice to choose and this is a perfect example why church & state are separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events