Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 02:58 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am not aware that Ms. Davis has stated such hateful things. If she has, I pity her.
When she says that homosexuality is a sin and that sinners go to hell, she's at the least implying, if not outright stating that homosexuals will go to and burn in hell for their sins.

Just because that's what she believes doesn't make it appropriate to say to people. It's condescending and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 03:02 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
<shrug>It may have been deleted. And quit stalking me.
Don't post BS if you don't want to get called on it. "Stalking", seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The judge made a decision based upon the law, not by taking a public opinion poll
Sorta my point. Annuvin's whining about militant activists and witchhunts is plain silly.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
When she says that homosexuality is a sin and that sinners go to hell, she's at the least implying, if not outright stating that homosexuals will go to and burn in hell for their sins.

Just because that's what she believes doesn't make it appropriate to say to people. It's condescending and rude.
If she actually said such a thing, she was being more than condescending and rude -- she was being hateful. As a public employee, such remarks would seem to be grounds for harrassment charges being brought against her. Since such charges have not been brought by the crowd of media and gay rights activists who confronted her with such hostility, I doubt that she actually expressed the thoughts you attribute to her.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Don't post BS if you don't want to get called on it. "Stalking", seriously....
It's not BS, just calling attention to the hate which characterizes the "progressive" posters in this thread. None of you lefties like being confronted with the hypocrisy of your intolerance and scorn for people who disagree with you. That is the definition of bullying, and it is rampant throughout your collective posts.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:12 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
She should have been fired and end of story.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I really don't get what all the fuss is about. If she refuses to perform her basic job duties, fire her for insubordination and move on. All this alleged controversy, prison drama and pandering for the camera just reinforces the "witchhunt" motives of the more militant gay rights activists and does precious little to garner my support for them.
The "militant gay activists" including the two straight couples that sued the clerk ASKED the judge to not jail her. The Catholic anti-gay judge is the one that put her in jail for contempt of court and offered her an out by allowing the deputy clerks to issue licenses, but the poor clerk wouldn't even allow others to issue the licenses.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I get what you mean. However, she found herself in the position of being in a job where she was asked to go against her beliefs. I have not seen any quotes of her stating that gay couples are not good enough for the services of her office. If she adheres to the principles of Christianity, she should not judge anyone, nor place herself above others. My understanding is that she stopped issuing licenses to all to remove herself from the process. I imagine, like most of us, she needs her job and this is why she made this decision.
She is not allowed to make that decision. The STATE of Kentucky says that county clerks are to issue marriage licenses. She is not in any position to change her job description.
She can either resign, or allow deputy clerks to issue the licenses, but she refuses to do either.

Quote:
I find this behavior (screaming, attacking) disgusting. I do not accept it from anyone regardless of affinity, orientation, or belief.
At least you're consistent.

Quote:
My reply to this is to refer you back to my first post regarding not being judged on past mistakes. She also serves as an example that whatever one has done can be forgiven. You are missing the point, she isn't being holier than thou, she is trying to follow her beliefs. And one would have to be naïve to think that none of us, our actions, are not shaped by our beliefs. As to your last sentence above, she doesn't want her signature on the licenses as it = her giving her approval.
She is the county clerk, it is part of her job description from the state to issue marriage licenses. She does not get to pick and choose what she will or won't do when acting as a representative of the state.
Signing the licenses is not giving her approval of anything, it is only affirming that all of the information on the license is correct and valid.
Quote:
I imagine she will resign.
She said that she will not resign, and if released from jail she will not allow anyone in the clerks office to issue the licenses either.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Your argument would work if people were going to that specific Walgreens knowing they would be denied.
No one should be denied service from a GOVERNMENT OFFICE. Plus since the couples were residents of that county, and there is no other office in that county, why should they be refused service that their taxes pay for?

Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Many people were going to this county to be issued a marriage licence because they knew they would be denied. They did it solely so they could create an uproar.
ALL 4 couples were residents of that county. They went to the only office in the county that issues marriage licenses.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No one should be denied service from a GOVERNMENT OFFICE. Plus since the couples were residents of that county, and there is no other office in that county, why should they be refused service that their taxes pay for?
Im not saying I agree with what she was doing. Just that the analogy wasn't adding up and corrected it.

Ok.... what 4? Are you saying that only 4 people tried to get married from there? That's not what was on tv. They had at least 2 gay couples that they interviewed that were from other states that went there specifically because they knew they would get denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events