Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Criminals have guns. Criminals are always going to have guns, legal or not. It makes no sense to tell law-abiding citizens they can't have guns. It's evil people using guns that are the problem, not the guns themselves. You take guns away from law-abiding citizens and the criminals would LOVE that. It makes it much easier for them to commit crimes.
You have to admit NRA lobbyists are insane thou. I agree with your statement despite the NRA nut jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 04:46 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Maybe if some posters had the sense to realize that PEOPLE commit crimes and not inanimate objects,
Actually it's more like a partnership. If gun and person weren't working together in partnership, they couldn't commit their crimes. But if we do send the gun to prison, along with the person, we have to make sure they get separate cells, so they won't go back into their partnership.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:50 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Criminals have guns. Criminals are always going to have guns, legal or not.
Because we don't have the brains to figure out how to take their guns away? Because we're Americans, and Americans are famous for not having brains?

GW Bush gave up on trying to kill Osama Bin Laden. We had to wait for Obama to prove it could be done.

What kind of president do we have to wait for now, to prove we can take guns away from criminals? As if we had an ounce of competence or something.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
This thread is about a 30 year patrol veteran a month away from retiring for good...and being murdered for protecting someone's property from burglary

Its not about the NRA and someones ability to have a gun...that debate is better served in a new thread

When we as a society detach from the murder of someone we charge to protect us I have fear for our future

This will be an intense investigation... these men will be caught

Sometimes I wish for the simple justice of historical western law

Old 09-02-2015, 06:00 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I have worked in high security environments -- locked mental health units, super max prison for adult male felons …

An important part of the solution to the "violence" problem in general is greatly reducing the access of violence prone person to "tools of violence" …

Again, guns guns guns in America today are TOO readily "handy" and are exceedingly lethal "tools," which is so of course by design …

So, no … A "gun" is not somehow culturally equivalent to a kitchen knife, a hammer, a baseball bat, or a motor vehicle ...
Here is the problem, and why your suggestion of more restrictions (I'm guessing that is what you are after) is not the long term solution. Sure, let's just say overnight you could eliminate firearms from everyone. Absolutely you would see a drop in violence... short term. The violent people (pure criminal or mentally ill) will gravitate towards the next tool, which I'm assuming would be knives. Then all of a sudden you will see knife violence escalate, sure deaths would be down but those same violent people will find a way. It's already happening in the UK. If just dropping the number of deaths is your goal short term, great if curbing violence as a whole then you have to look at the root causes of why these people think taking a life or lives is the practical solution to their problems.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:03 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Because we don't have the brains to figure out how to take their guns away? Because we're Americans, and Americans are famous for not having brains?

GW Bush gave up on trying to kill Osama Bin Laden. We had to wait for Obama to prove it could be done.

What kind of president do we have to wait for now, to prove we can take guns away from criminals? As if we had an ounce of competence or something.
That will work about at well as the war on drugs. Take away the drugs and we won't have to worry. Take away the guns and we won't have to worry.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
What an incredibly daft post.
Why ? Do you actually agree with them ?

Detroit Police Chief Offended By ‘Pigs In A Blanket

Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
This thread is about a 30 year patrol veteran a month away from retiring for good...and being murdered for protecting someone's property from burglary

Its not about the NRA and someones ability to have a gun...that debate is better served in a new thread

When we as a society detach from the murder of someone we charge to protect us I have fear for our future

With more an more officers getting shot in the line of duty, only a dolt would see and believe it's a gun issue. There is a much larger deeper seeded issue that our politicians do not want to engage. I'm sure we are all aware that being a LEO is a dangerous profession, but it seems lately it is open season on them.

Texas sheriff announces arrest in deputy's death - CNN.com

Ten Days, Seven Fallen Officers | Across America, US Patch

Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Well...notmeofficer, I am inclined to agree with you. Due process and all of course, because we are all innocent until proven guilty. Having said that, once the person is convicted then I think that we need to have harsher penalties for violent crimes. The appeals process needs to be cut back, as well as the options for parole. Do the crime, do the time. On the same token we need to rethink our stance on non-violent offenses... but of course that is a topic for a whole other thread.

At any rate, what a sad story. 30 years in, a month away from retirement and his life snuff out, because of some degenerate a-holes! Once convicted they should fry 'em!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 AM

149 posts, read 232,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
Incorrect.

The media fail to report when black communities do what they can do to combat crime. You have to be there, or seek out the info. Those are not as "interesting" a story as a white cop killing an unarmed black male, because it doesn't stoke the fires of the racial divide. The divide some of us like to pretend doesn't really exist.

"We" are all being played for idiots, anyway. Many whites and blacks hating each other, when most of us are being screwed over by the so-called elite, but we're pointing fingers at each other.

Besides, when a black criminal commits a crime, if caught, he is taken care of. As they should be. Name one time you've seen a clearly guilty criminal get mass support from black people when arrested? Well, other than OJ? Ziiiiing!

Our issues are with corrupt LEO's getting away with murder, literally, only to receive slaps on the wrist. Do you know how demoralizing that is to see over and over and over and over again? If you can't put your faith in those with the power, who can you put faith in? This stuff has been going on "forever", tho'. Its just become a 'thing' in the media. Many blacks are just as terrified of police officers now as they are of gang bangers, Klansman, and everyone else who'd do us harm without thinking twice about it. In small towns down south, many policeman are members of the KKK. If you only knew all the sh*t they get away with. Some make it to the media, and some of it never does. There was recently a story of a black man who married a sheriff's white daughter in some small Texas town. He was murdered, and parts of his body were cut off. They ruled it a suicide. HAHAHAHAHA! Right.

BlackLivesMatter was created, because clearly many people need to be reminded. Our lives have never mattered as much. If you aren't black, you will more than likely never understand, because you have no direct experience, or incentive to understand. Only when the heat comes to your front door step does it matter. Thats fine. You're human. Most of us think selfish, anyway.

The black community isn't flawless, but what community is? Hell, I have major issues with my community, but that's not for here and now. But, does that mean cops should be unleashed on us like a pack of wild animals, and we should just accept it, because some lawless individuals in the black community commit crimes also? Get rid of THOSE animals, too.

Some whites - and I stress SOME, because you can't paint every of any race with a broad brushstroke - like to point out blacks that commit crimes, as if its even a tenth of us committing them, and as if we want them terrorizing our communities. I don't want to be murdered, or robbed anymore than you do.
Please excuse all grammatical and typographical errors. The perfectionist behind the wheel fell asleep. I proof-read this thing twice, and still didn't see all the mistakes that I so clearly see now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events