Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Someone who actually makes a living teaching this stuff, that's who.

Come back and speak to me when you understand the jurisprudential distinction between the public and private realm. Until then, continue parading spurious and harebrained analogies like the one above. I am sure there are more people out there getting a laugh than just me.
You're the laughingstock. You can't answer simple, or direct questions. Then you pull out the "teacher-card" as if anyone cares what you "teach". You have shown yourself to be obtuse to the extreme. Tell us how you run a nation with no borders or rule of law, professor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
One of the unspoken ironies of recent history (immigrants coming to the USA across the Mexican border) is that the history goes very deep …

During and immediately following the War of American Imperial Aggression of 1846-48, the United States seized about fully half of the territory of The Republic of Mexico …

(This was under the reign of James Polk, interestingly just recently named by Jeb W. Bush as his personal favorite President … !!!) … Leading up to and during that unjust war, many Americans were openly opposed to it, including Ulysses S. Grant …

Anyway, during decades upon decades of peaceful immigration -- some documented, some not -- the people of Mexico have been slowly relentlessly reclaiming the land that was stolen from them …

As it has been observed and commented more than once, not that long ago, by President Barack Hussein O'Bama -- "The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice … "

Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Back during the Clinton Administration, welfare reforms were put into place that do limit the total benefit packages that can be received under the "welfare" system …

But, certainly there are ongoing economic problems in America that have nothing at all to do with "immigration" …

I remember, e.g., when communities began organizing "food shelves" (most commonly in church basements, and so on) … The arrangements were informal and intended to be only temporary, getting families and neighborhoods through those tough times a few decades back …

But the need for such community supports has only grown and persists and likely will never go away …

Part of it is "globalization" and "free trade" (Ross Perot was right about that, way back in 1992.) … The relentless erosion and intentional destruction of labor and trade unions hasn't been good for America …
I agree those issues exist for sure. But it doesn't explain many things. For one, there's a personal responsibility factor in this. At least the way I was brought up. If you can't afford something, you don't have it. Or buy it. And that includes bringing a kid into the world. Yet many people who don't have their act together, the means($) keep having kids. This is not isolated events. And the welfare system of course takes care of the kid/no questions asked and this enables this bad decision making/behavior cycle. This goes beyond Ross, globalization, free trade....I call it pure selfishness. Not doing what's right for the kid which should be A#1 priority in my view and expecting other working people via their taxes to foot the bill is just that.....selfishness.

As for jobs, there are many fields out there screaming for qualified/educated workers with great pay. The problem is, large groups of our populace aren't going into these fields as a whole where all this demand exists. Accounting. Health Care jobs of all stripes. Engineering. Even basic health care jobs like radiology where last I knew a 2 year degree could get one into a decent paying/secure job. IT jobs of all stripes from basic to very qualified. I worked in many different areas of IT and we were always begging for all types of jobs yet it was like pulling teeth to find qualified workers in our own country. And there are lots of basic work at home type jobs like selling things on ebay. I've known more than a few people who never went to college who got creative and resell things on ebay and do very, very well.

Bottom line....lots of personal responsibility here that needs to be dealt with before we blame this/that/the other thing. I think many of us listen to the victim mentality our "leaders" preach. And it is working. Leaders don't succeed unless they have a population that rely's on them and makes the populace think they are victims of something else/everything is out of their control. It's a brilliant marketing game. And what better way to stay in power then to provide lots of "benefits" to the victim thinking masses? We have become a country that's largely losing it's drive in many ways including the few examples I've given above. That's a fact. The enablers are ourselves in many circumstances as the mirror doesn't lie. Time some of us grow up, grow a pair, and stop making excuses. Unfortunately, I think for the most part, it's a little too late. We've lost our way. The insane are running the asylum. And the asylum is voting the same clowns in year after year, decade after decade. GIGO(garbage in, garbage out).

Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You're the laughingstock. You can't answer simple, or direct questions. Then you pull out the "teacher-card" as if anyone cares what you "teach". You have shown yourself to be obtuse to the extreme. Tell us how you run a nation with no borders or rule of law, professor.
LOL …
Governor Scott Walker (R., Wisconsin) has very recently suggested building an impenetrable secure high tech wall between the USA … and Canada …

What can we say … ???

(Hey, here's an idea … !!! We could hire all those otherwise supposedly lazy Hispanic "wetbacks" to build the Canada Wall … ???)

Old 09-02-2015, 08:16 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Quote:
One of the unspoken ironies of recent history (immigrants coming to the USA across the Mexican border) is that the history goes very deep …

During and immediately following the War of American Imperial Aggression of 1846-48, the United States seized about fully half of the territory of The Republic of Mexico …

(This was under the reign of James Polk, interestingly just recently named by Jeb W. Bush as his personal favorite President … !!!) … Leading up to and during that unjust war, many Americans were openly opposed to it, including Ulysses S. Grant …

Anyway, during decades upon decades of peaceful immigration -- some documented, some not -- the people of Mexico have been slowly relentlessly reclaiming the land that was stolen from them …

As it has been observed and commented more than once, not that long ago, by President Barack Hussein O'Bama -- "The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice … "
This is the level of idiocy that passes through the mind of an open borders fetishist. He loves him some Mexican takeover of the nation.....best thread I've ever seen out here exposing these people Give us more, please. Folks need to see this stuff.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
LOL …
Governor Scott Walker (R., Wisconsin) has very recently suggested building an impenetrable secure high tech wall between the USA … and Canada …

What can we say … ???

(Hey, here's an idea … !!! We could hire all those otherwise supposedly lazy Hispanic "wetbacks" to build the Canada Wall … ???)

Further proof you have zero evidence to support your position. Red herrings, smoke screens, strawman arguments because you have nothing substantive to say.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree those issues exist for sure. But it doesn't explain many things. For one, there's a personal responsibility factor in this. At least the way I was brought up. If you can't afford something, you don't have it. Or buy it. And that includes bringing a kid into the world. Yet many people who don't have their act together, the means($) keep having kids. This is not isolated events. And the welfare system of course takes care of the kid/no questions asked and this enables this bad decision making/behavior cycle. This goes beyond Ross, globalization, free trade....I call it pure selfishness. Not doing what's right for the kid which should be A#1 priority in my view and expecting other working people via their taxes to foot the bill is just that.....selfishness.

As for jobs, there are many fields out there screaming for qualified/educated workers with great pay. The problem is, large groups of our populace aren't going into these fields as a whole where all this demand exists. Accounting. Health Care jobs of all stripes. Engineering. Even basic health care jobs like radiology where last I knew a 2 year degree could get one into a decent paying/secure job. IT jobs of all stripes from basic to very qualified. I worked in many different areas of IT and we were always begging for all types of jobs yet it was like pulling teeth to find qualified workers in our own country. And there are lots of basic work at home type jobs like selling things on ebay. I've known more than a few people who never went to college who got creative and resell things on ebay and do very, very well.

Bottom line....lots of personal responsibility here that needs to be dealt with before we blame this/that/the other thing. I think many of us listen to the victim mentality our "leaders" preach. And it is working. Leaders don't succeed unless they have a population that rely's on them and makes the populace think they are victims of something else/everything is out of their control. It's a brilliant marketing game. And what better way to stay in power then to provide lots of "benefits" to the victim thinking masses? We have become a country that's largely losing it's drive in many ways including the few examples I've given above. That's a fact. The enablers are ourselves in many circumstances as the mirror doesn't lie. Time some of us grow up, grow a pair, and stop making excuses. Unfortunately, I think for the most part, it's a little too late. We've lost our way. The insane are running the asylum. And the asylum is voting the same clowns in year after year, decade after decade. GIGO(garbage in, garbage out).
The immigrants I have come to know are becoming educated, picking up employable skills, mastering English, becoming acclimatized to American culture (not "assimilated" yet, which takes at least a generation) ...

Old 09-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Further proof you have zero evidence to support your position. Red herrings, smoke screens, strawman arguments because you have nothing substantive to say.
So … You endorse the Walls proposed by The Donald and Governor Walker … ???

Yes or No … ???

Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Well then, sounds like it's time for you to set an example for all of us, walk the walk, and do the justice thing with those mighty words you quoted that the herd/sheep love to follow superficially when a person in power wants something.....and that's give up your house and move on from Minnesota because your ancestors took that land from the Native Americans.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
The immigrants I have come to know are becoming educated, picking up employable skills, mastering English, becoming acclimatized to American culture (not "assimilated" yet, which takes at least a generation) ...
Great to hear. But according to the topic at hand/the study this thread is based on, many aren't doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events