Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 10:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times

Advertisements

Seriously, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls …
Real science is terribly interesting, and there are some excellent resources available to any general reader …

Two classics still in print, brilliantly written, rock solid biology, highly recommended:

Paul Colinvaux, "Why Big Fierce Animals Are Rare: An Ecologist's Perspective." (1978, Princeton Univ. Press) …

Edward O. Wilson, "The Diversity of Life." (1992, Bleknap, Harvard Univ. Press) …

Read those two and you will begin to start to *get* something of the amazing web of life on the Earth ...

Last edited by Teilhard; 09-14-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 12:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I never used the word "fascinating"..........But, OK.

It is a life style..........part of a culture.

Hunting with dogs is as old as man and dog first bonded. (we just hunt bear with dogs).

Each dog wears about $1000 in equipment to track them.

Houndsmen learn to know the bark of their dogs.......and what each sound means.

The deer we hunt is for our meat for the year........that should tell you enough.
Of course you never. So I was asking what was your point of that to the poster's question?
What is enough? Was it the $1000 dog equipment or the deer meat which???

Quote:
We are not "poor" at all.

We like to eat venison.

Hunting is legal.
I think nobody said you are poor........We all know you're not by husband's expensive hobby lol, no other posters here that hunt emphasize that more enough

Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Let me explain it to you again … patiently … not for the first time …

I have a degree in biology …
For more than 40 years, I am a member of the biology section of the American Association for the Advancement of Science …
I have kept up fairly well through the years …
I don't get my population biology information from reading "American Hunter" or "Field and Stream" …

And in fact, I have read lots of articles -- and books !!! -- through the years ...

***Shrug*** so the science is settled because yo say so....

Congrats....

Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Is there something that has led you believe that hunters hunt "just for the sake of killing?" If so, I would be very interested in reading it, as that is very different from my experienced, having associated with hunters my entire life.
Oh, for god's sake!

One Last Time....

Palmer didn't give two ****s about what happened to Cecil or any of the other animals he killed after they were dead. He got the head to hang on his wall and maybe the hide to walk on.

THAT is trophy hunting. Don't even bring up that 'the natives got the meat'. Palmer and those like him DON'T CARE about that. They DON'T CARE about where their thousands of dollars go or who gets them. They are NOT hunting out of a sense of altruism.

I have nothing against people who hunt for food.

Trophy hunting and hunting for food are two separate things.

TROPHY HUNTING is the topic of this thread. Remember?????????

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I can agree with you that hunting is costly.

I am sure my husband has over $30,000 in hunting and fishing this year............and it is NOT deer season yet.

He lives to hunt and fish............and it IS legal.

He can afford it.
Yet you are on the government dole...

Old 09-15-2015, 05:58 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This post has what to do with anything thread related?

Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This post has what to do with anything thread related?
It has to do with the fact that driller1 seems to justify killing animals because 'they can afford it'.

For that matter, deer hunting has nothing AT ALL to do with this thread, yet there are pages upon pages of posts discussing deer hunting!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Quote:

THAT is trophy hunting. Don't even bring up that 'the natives got the meat'. Palmer and those like him DON'T CARE about that. They DON'T CARE about where their thousands of dollars go or who gets them. They are NOT hunting out of a sense of altruism.

I have nothing against people who hunt for food.

Trophy hunting and hunting for food are two separate things.

TROPHY HUNTING is the topic of this thread. Remember?????????
What is wrong with trophy hunting when the meat is used, as in the majority of so called "trophy hunting"?

Whether hunting for trophy whitetail, elk, bear, moose, etc.. and keeping the meat for yourself or going to some exotic location and LEGALLY trophy hunting for NON-endangered game and having the meat go to the locals!

Again, what exactly is wrong with that? Some may not like a mounted animal or part of one in their living room but many do. I think they fit in well with the decor for outdoor living.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
What is wrong with trophy hunting when the meat is used, as in the majority of so called "trophy hunting"?

Whether hunting for trophy whitetail, elk, bear, moose, etc.. and keeping the meat for yourself or going to some exotic location and LEGALLY trophy hunting for NON-endangered game and having the meat go to the locals!

Again, what exactly is wrong with that? Some may not like a mounted animal or part of one in their living room but many do. I think they fit in well with the decor for outdoor living.
There is absolutely nothing wrong. We caught a "trophy" 600 lb plus Marlin in Cabo. It tail wrapped and died on the bottom in 100 feet so there was no C and R. We had to hand winch it in. There was no way we could have shipped that much back to the States without costing a fortune so we gave it to the Panga crew. They were so happy they arranged with a local eatery to feed us for free the rest of our trip. They had big racks of that Marlin smoking the next day with a line of people to get some.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
What?????

Please explain that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events