Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:53 AM

465 posts, read 418,510 times

Advertisements

Children attacking parents is in the news again. This appears to be the new norm. One case that comes to mind happened months ago when an adult child decapitated his mother because she asked the son to take out the trash.

I thought we were doing a better job of parenting. No more spankings. Everyone gets a trophy. If so, why are children of today responding like this?

Motive unclear in Gwinnett brothers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
A new norm? Hardly. To think this is indicative of 'children of today' is foolish.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:50 AM

465 posts, read 418,510 times
Default Foolish ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
A new norm? Hardly. To think this is indicative of 'children of today' is foolish.
Foolish ignorance is not an excuse. Look up and pay attention to the surroundings.

Huge rise in violence against parents by their children: Cases up by 60% as offspring as young as seven are investigated* | Daily Mail Online

What

Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
This is a big part of it:
Quote:
During just one year (2009-10), nearly 2,000 parents, mostly mothers, were attacked by their children, mostly sons, in London alone.
Fathers were not, and are not, expendable.

But, the other part is that parents opted out of being the meanie parent to being a friend and peer. The other part is that children are not taught that THEY are responsible for their actions and that there will be consequences if they do the wrong thing. You don't have to hit a child to discipline them but you do have to have clear, consistent rules that are enforced. Children are simply not taught to respect authority - not their parents, not their teachers, not the police - because those who were supposed to teach them that were too busy trying to prevent them from getting their feelings hurt.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
No more spankings? Everybody gets a trophy? Are you kidding me? While I am not one who followed the spank your child way of disciplining, I do feel that parents these days are afraid to discipline their children. Kids get away with so much more, they are far more defiant to authority figures, teachers, etc... drives me crazy. Not to mention how this whole "everyone is a winner" mentality is a bunch a bull.

I'm sorry but kids today are wimps and are coddled too much. I see nothing wrong with healthy competition and kids being told NO. Boundaries are a must for kids and rules are important. This doesn't mean kids can't have the freedoms to be unique and learn to question things. Kids just need to know that they can't get their way 24/7 and that no, not everyone wins or gets a trophy. If you want things work hard for it, don't expect everything to be handed to you. They also need to understand what the word respect means.

end rant.

As for violence against parents being on the rise or more of an issue... I truly believe it has to do with kids not having boundaries or rules or being taught respect for authority at an early age. Parents are afraid of hurting their childrens feelings or being hard on them. On the flip side I also see that more and more children live in abusive households and are dealing with more emotional baggage then one can handle.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:05 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
The article cites 1417 attacks on parents in the greater London area. There are over eight million people in Greater London, millions of which are likely parents. So, no, it is not a new norm.

I do agree that foolish ignorance is no excuse though, OP.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:13 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Saw this story last night. My uneducated guess is this about money. The parents (one was 22) may have cut the older brother off (and maybe the younger one, too), and the parents probably had a nice life insurance policy that they decided to cash in on.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
The rise of children attacking parents is consistent with and parallel to the rise in the amount of children taking psycho-pharmaceutical drugs that have affects and consequences those that are administering them do not yet fully understand.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
Children attacking parents is in the news again. This appears to be the new norm. One case that comes to mind happened months ago when an adult child decapitated his mother because she asked the son to take out the trash.

I thought we were doing a better job of parenting. No more spankings. Everyone gets a trophy. If so, why are children of today responding like this?

Motive unclear in Gwinnett brothers
We had a story close to that about 10 years ago ( I was literally working around the corner ) an adult son beheaded his own dad in Swiss Cottage London because he thought he was Turning gay!!! It's was head line stuff for weeks

I've been lucky to been well raised so don't understand how ppl can go about hurting or even killing parents

Old 09-08-2015, 01:38 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive outlaw View Post
the rise of children attacking parents is consistent with and parallel to the rise in the amount of children taking psycho-pharmaceutical drugs that have affects and consequences those that are administering them do not yet fully understand.
exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events