Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:49 PM

469 posts, read 398,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Why couldn't she politely 'thank him' and walk away......the b*tch sued! Yes, sue no matter how ridiculous! She is the one with issues.........

I have and for the most part salons are much cleaner and seem to be more what most women are looking for. Plenty of hairdressers know how to do this cut......she is looking for easy money and fame.
Why on earth should she have thanked him for discriminating against her? Do you thank people who treat you like crap?

Because she stood up against blatant discrimination she's a b*tch?

And you think you know what women want when it comes to their hair? Apparently you don't, because she was perfectly happy to have her hair cut there, and wasn't "allowed" to for no other reason than SHE WAS A WOMAN.

Finally - SHE DIDN'T SUE! SHE DIDN'T GET ANY MONEY! The Barbershop got fined because what they did was illegal. Get - it - ILLEGAL. There's a reason it's illegal - because it's discrimination, and it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Dya know feminine products are TAXED as luxury items where I live? And, most probably IDK, where you live???

If men got periods they'd be handed out free! The working month would only be 3 weeks long!
Interesting. What state do you live in? I'd be interested in researching that further.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:55 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Can I then get upset if I go to a beauty salon for a high and tight and they say they cant do it because they dont know how to?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Can I then get upset if I go to a beauty salon for a high and tight and they say they cant do it because they dont know how to?
If you insist they have to do it or you can report them and they will get fined. I'm not sure what your point is, the law is clear it doesn't say you can discriminate on gender "unless", it says you can't.

And the woman was asking for a very common man's haircut, her lack of male genitalia did not make it any harder for the barber to cut her hair in that style than if she were a man.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:08 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you insist they have to do it or you can report them and they will get fined. I'm not sure what your point is, the law is clear it doesn't say you can discriminate on gender "unless", it says you can't.

And the woman was asking for a very common man's haircut, her lack of male genitalia did not make it any harder for the barber to cut her hair in that style than if she were a man.
My point is that if they cut hair it seems they must serve everyone. Even if they dont do what is being asked.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you are a male I dare you to go try and get a pelvic exam. File a complaint when they refuse.

Look, barbers and cosmetologists are trained and licensed differently or didn't you know that? In several states a licensed barber can't work in a salon unless the barber section is separated by a wall or, it's just simply not allowed at all.

I bet you didn't know that a barber's license allows you to use tools that the cosmetologist can't.

My last actual barber who's been in the business for 40 years would not cut any woman's hair, he did in fact occasionally turn away women. When I asked him about it he said "I have no idea how to cut women's hair and don't want to learn, I'm NOT a cosmetologist".
Well that's odd. I have curly unruly hair and I am a female. When I was a kid, the only one who could give me a decent haircut was my dad's barber. He gave me a short, cute hairstyle. Beauticians usually didn't do half as good a job.

Most of my adult life I have gone to beauticians who cut men's and women's hair or barbers who cut men's and women's hair. I never thought anything of it.

Places like Super Cuts do both.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Considering that she asked for a fade, which is commonly done in barber shops, she sis not ask for a service that they don't offer.

Most cosmetologists do know how to do a high and tight, at least they taught us how when I went to school.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
My point is that if they cut hair it seems they must serve everyone. Even if they dont do what is being asked.
She didn't ask for something that the barber didn't do. If she had asked for a perm, or highlights, then he would have been able to tell her that he doesn't offer those services.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Interesting. What state do you live in? I'd be interested in researching that further.
Australia.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Discrimination by barbers is a violation of the Pennsylvania barber regulations. Would it be ok if a black person had been refused a haircut because the barber "doesn't do black hair" Would offering to pay the person to have their hair done elsewhere appease the barber licensing board? (by the way, in both barber and cosmetology school students are taught how to cut and style ethnic hair)
Oh give it a rest please. This is no where near the gravity of actual racial discrimination and always going back to "well should we allow slavery, if it was a black person" etc,etc,etc has gotten so tiresome and beaten like a dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events