Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Today we also have chain Unisex Salons. No appointment necessary. Cheap. Female staff cut men's hair all the time, so they would have the experience. Male staff cut women's hair also. I do not know if this woman had one of these Unisex salons where she lived Problem is that they are very, very rushed to take as many customers of all genders as possible. I know my daughter does not like the rushing being done in those places. Mostly definitely she could ask that a male cut her hair the way she wanted. Personally, I prefer a male to cut my own hair. I like the way they do it, take their time, and are more precise. My own hair is shoulder length, so this isn't even a "man's cut" issue.
Problem is that most unisex salons don't do a very good job at cutting anyone's hair. My husband (ex USMC) always gets a traditional marine haircut with almost shaved sides and back. One day when his barber was busy he went to one of these unisex salons and while I tried to make him feel better about it, it was pretty awful, overall #2 buzz cut with no taper at all. Someone who wants a military haircut or a fade goes to a shop where the employees went to barber school, not cosmetology school. Here in Sacramento my husband goes to a barber where an older lady cuts his hair, she doesn't speak much English but he's pretty sure that by the way she cuts hair she probably worked in a base barbershop somewhere. He said he's seen a few women getting fades in the shop and no one seems to think much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Someone please explain to me why it is legally and socially acceptable for there to be women only gyms such as the national chain Curves Curves: Find a Fitness Center Location Near You But it is not legally or socially acceptable to have men only establishments. If there were "men only" gyms or "straight only" gyms there would protests and lawsuits. Male only Golf clubs are legal, but OMG are they vilified, remember Martha Burke protesting outside Augusta National years ago.
There are mens only gyms. Cuts fitness for men is a membership only gym for men.

The difference is that both gyms are MEMBERSHIP only clubs, and the barbershop is a business that is open to the public.

And Curves has been sued in some states, and were made to allow men, or close their doors. It depends on the state and their laws regarding membership only clubs, and public accommodations.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sounds like a set up. I'm sick of the walk on egg shells with people culture, that has overtaken this country. Some businesses specialize in services, for certain types of people or needs. Such as the mentioned Barber Shop. The woman is a fool looking for trouble.
Why is the woman a fool looking for trouble? What if a guy with shoulder length hair goes into a salon to get his hair trimmed and is told that they only accept female clients? Was he a fool looking for trouble, or was he doing what makes sense, going to the kind of shop that is most likely to give him the haircut he wants?

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,471,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, businesses are not allowed to discriminate someone because of their gender. Men's barbershop included.
Men should remember that when they go to apply for memberships in women-only gyms.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,357 times
Right or wrong, she was wrong to blow this completely out of proportion. Just go somewhere else, no circus necessary.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Here is her LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/diamond-pecjak/b1/b2/ba2

She's a cosmetologist.

It kind of reminds me of the woman that carved a backwards "B" on her face and claimed someone from the Obama camp assaulted her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Todd_mugging_hoax

Maybe she's a liberal, maybe she's a far right weanie that is using this as a setup so that people like the OP can whine some more. Maybe she's trying to get rid of the competition - although it looks like she actually lived in Florida when this all went down. Maybe she's just weird.

For what it's worth, I get a big kick out of the crowd that's always whining about the "politically correct" crowd that's supposedly always offended. It's been my experience that these same folks that complain about whiners are the biggest offenders. Stop selling confederate flags in Walmart and oh, the injustice of it all! I know people that are from the North, had ancestors that fought for the blue, and yet they are STILL yelling, "My heritage! My heritage!"

Same-sex marriage? I've watched people write on Facebook about going to the strip club down the street and the next day's post is about how same-sex marriage is taking away their religious freedom.

Whiners all.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM

708 posts, read 824,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, businesses are not allowed to discriminate someone because of their gender. Men's barbershop included.

There are women only gyms, for example Gymophobics.

Quote:
Mixed health clubs and conventional gyms can be intimidating with little or no input from staff and an over emphasis on youth, weight training, aerobics and high impact exercise. Whatever your age, if you are female and lack confidence in your figure, the last place you want to be is a gym full of stick thin super models and men sprouting muscles in all the right places!
You also have she-rides Taxi service.

Quote:
SheRides does not allow men to call the service, but they can travel in one of its cars as long as they are accompanied by a female passenger.
However.

Quote:
Under the NYC Human Rights Law, it is illegal for a public accommodation — a provider of goods and services — to deny service based on a protected class or to express a preference for one protected class over another,” New York Human Rights Commissioner Patricia L. Gatling told Al Jazeera in a statement.
“Drivers who refuse to transport individuals based on their gender or other protected classes are violating the NYC Human Rights Law and may be subject to substantial penalties.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:59 PM

743 posts, read 767,324 times
Should I be insulted and sue if I go to a barber shop in the 'hood and they tell me they can't do white hair?
This woman is a troublemaking scumball.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They should have just given her a crap haircut.
You beat me to it! But sounds like a set up to me. I don't understand why a woman would want a haircut at an old time barbershop, I'd think they would do a crap job.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,035 times
This is like the new jackpot, the new crash for cash but ever since that criminal freddie gray died, people might no think the crash is worth the cash.

So they do this now. They troll around finding places to stir up trouble, get some attention and possibly file a lawsuit. It's the new ghetto lottery today.

And the saddest thing is, the biggest losers are us consumers who actually pay for services, the lowest forms of life (lawyers) are the big winners here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events