Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, businesses are not allowed to discriminate someone because of their gender. Men's barbershop included.
If you are a male I dare you to go try and get a pelvic exam. File a complaint when they refuse.

Look, barbers and cosmetologists are trained and licensed differently or didn't you know that? In several states a licensed barber can't work in a salon unless the barber section is separated by a wall or, it's just simply not allowed at all.

I bet you didn't know that a barber's license allows you to use tools that the cosmetologist can't.

My last actual barber who's been in the business for 40 years would not cut any woman's hair, he did in fact occasionally turn away women. When I asked him about it he said "I have no idea how to cut women's hair and don't want to learn, I'm NOT a cosmetologist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Sounds like a set up. I'm sick of the walk on egg shells with people culture, that has overtaken this country. Some businesses specialize in services, for certain types of people or needs. Such as the mentioned Barber Shop. The woman is a fool looking for trouble.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you want a mens style hair cut, what better place to go than a place that specializes in mens style haircuts?

I could understand if she wanted a perm, or color, or some other service that he doesn't offer. But he clearly offers mens style haircuts.

Then there is this
Yet he has a female on staff, and allows women to wait while their husbands or sons get haircuts. So, this is not a man only getaway anyways. Honestly he could have done her cut and had her out the door in 10 minutes.

There is no specialized equipment needed to cut hair based on sex. All he needed to do the cut she has is clippers, edgers, shears, and a comb. It's not like there are special clippers that only cut womens hair.
Yep, exactly.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Someone please explain to me why it is legally and socially acceptable for there to be women only gyms such as the national chain Curves Curves: Find a Fitness Center Location Near You But it is not legally or socially acceptable to have men only establishments. If there were "men only" gyms or "straight only" gyms there would protests and lawsuits. Male only Golf clubs are legal, but OMG are they vilified, remember Martha Burke protesting outside Augusta National years ago.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I don't think it was a set up. If you look at her hair, it is something that a mens shop could do better. And she didn't make money off it, they got fined...meaning the tax payers made money off it.

Bottom line...you can' discriminate. The owner doesn't want women in his shop. Thats not allowed. So tough. Do her hair and move along.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Someone please explain to me why it is legally and socially acceptable for there to be women only gyms such as the national chain Curves Curves: Find a Fitness Center Location Near You But it is not legally or socially acceptable to have men only establishments. If there were "men only" gyms or "straight only" gyms there would protests and lawsuits. Male only Golf clubs are legal, but OMG are they vilified, remember Martha Burke protesting outside Augusta National years ago.
If I recall, the actually have to allow men, but *can* market as women's only. They just can't turn down a man if he shows up.

Socially acceptable...well women often feel uncomfortable working out around men, so I guess that is why it is acceptable.

I also think the idea of a men's only barber shop is acceptable because men get different hair cuts and services then women. Its acceptable. Just cause once in a while a woman wants a man's cut doesn't mean it isn't socially acceptable overall.

Last edited by HighFlyingBird; 09-13-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM

464 posts, read 451,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you are a male I dare you to go try and get a pelvic exam. File a complaint when they refuse.
Yeah, but my pelvis can't be examined, so it's different. It's not like this lady was bald or something... She did have hair they could have cut or buzzed or done something with. I reckon in some states by law you can't refuse business from someone on the basis of gender, no matter how ridiculous the incident is (like this one..)

Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
There are "men's only gyms", if there weren't then Curves couldn't get away with being women's only

Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Today we also have chain Unisex Salons. No appointment necessary. Cheap. Female staff cut men's hair all the time, so they would have the experience. Male staff cut women's hair also. I do not know if this woman had one of these Unisex salons where she lived.

Problem is that they are very, very rushed to take as many customers of all genders as possible. I know my daughter does not like the rushing being done in those places. Mostly definitely she could ask that a male cut her hair the way she wanted.

Personally, I prefer a male to cut my own hair. I like the way they do it, take their time, and are more precise. My own hair is shoulder length, so this isn't even a "man's cut" issue.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 AM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
'Getting' way out of hand? It's already way out of hand, this is the way things have been for years and years now. I don't know what the solution is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events