Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
NO ONE WAS SUED! I'm sorry to shout but I have mentioned this at least 3 times in this thread. The woman filed a complaint with the State Board of Barber licensing and the barbershop was fined, in an earlier post I even cited the law and provided a link to it.
I said it's LIKE suing a Euro car shop. I meant it's similar. I know they aren't exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:46 PM

469 posts, read 398,516 times
No, it isn't like suing a euro car shop for not fixing your Ford. It's like suing a Ford car shop for refusing to fix your Ford for no other reason than because you are a woman (or black, or gay, or Jewish, or Catholic, or whatever). Big difference.

She wanted a "man's" hair cut. She went to a shop that specializes in men's hair cuts. The contents of her underwear had no bearing on the transaction, and she was correct to complain.

That's called discrimination, and it is illegal.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
I haven't read through the ENTIRE thread but a few pages .. but ....

She is being scorned by the LGBT group because she went into an old fashioned barbershop that actually is 100 years old . They do not discriminate against anyone . They simply did not have any experience with what she wanted ( This was an ultra fancy fade not just a plain one ) and didn't want to ruin her hair . They did give her some suggestions on some shops they thought might work . Apparently she did go to one and still had a s*** fit later over the old men at the first barbershop .

The local gay community is actually supporting the elderly barbers .

Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 PM

42,848 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I haven't read through the ENTIRE thread but a few pages .. but ....

She is being scorned by the LGBT group because she went into an old fashioned barbershop that actually is 100 years old . They do not discriminate against anyone . They simply did not have any experience with what she wanted ( This was an ultra fancy fade not just a plain one ) and didn't want to ruin her hair . They did give her some suggestions on some shops they thought might work . Apparently she did go to one and still had a s*** fit later over the old men at the first barbershop .

The local gay community is actually supporting the elderly barbers .
What "LGBT group" is scorning her? If the barber couldn't give her the 'ultra fancy fade' why did they tell her they wouldn't cut her hair because she's a woman? I'm not sure where you are getting this information, but you might want to check other sources because what you are claiming isn't making much sense... I'm quite sure the board of barber licensing investigated it and if that barbershop had refused to cut her hair because of their skill level rather than her gender they would not have been fined.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:09 AM

927 posts, read 969,527 times
I copied a link after I looked through it. I can't believe it! The owner sounds like a reasonable dude, I can't say much for the plaintiff. My opinion, this law needs to be changed. Total BS

Gentlemen

Old 09-14-2015, 03:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
More:

Addicting Info – PA Barber Shop Fined For Refusing To Cut A Woman’s Hair Because She’s A Woman (VIDEO)

Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I copied a link after I looked through it. I can't believe it! The owner sounds like a reasonable dude, I can't say much for the plaintiff. My opinion, this law needs to be changed. Total BS

Gentlemen
She would be a complainant, not a plaintiff. She didn't sue, she reported it to the proper authorities. And the guy is saying "we don't want women here"...that is against the law.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:20 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you are a male I dare you to go try and get a pelvic exam. File a complaint when they refuse.

Look, barbers and cosmetologists are trained and licensed differently or didn't you know that? In several states a licensed barber can't work in a salon unless the barber section is separated by a wall or, it's just simply not allowed at all.

I bet you didn't know that a barber's license allows you to use tools that the cosmetologist can't.

My last actual barber who's been in the business for 40 years would not cut any woman's hair, he did in fact occasionally turn away women. When I asked him about it he said "I have no idea how to cut women's hair and don't want to learn, I'm NOT a cosmetologist".
And there are states where the laws prohibit barbershops from accepting women...primarily for the protection of the beauty salons.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:23 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
So if I make an appointment at the gynecologist they have to examine me, even if I'm a man?

Or if I'm white, a black hairdresser who knows nothing about white hair has to cut my hair?
IF you have a vagina they have to examine your vagina. That is a service they provide.

No the black hair dresser can not refuse you service either. However if you want a service that they do not normally offer, then it may not turn out so well.

In the case of the barbershop, she wanted a cut that barbers normally do.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
This is like suing the European imports car repair shop for not servicing your Ford. If he'd cut her hair and made a disaster of it, then she would've sued for that. They should do nothing more than throw this case out.
No it would be like taking your ford to a ford dealership, and them telling you that they couldn't work on your ford because they are only trained to work on fords owned by men.

She wanted a typical mens haircut. The sex of the person that wants a cut makes no difference in the method of cutting that hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events