Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:34 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times

Advertisements

There have been many instances over the past few years that have caused tensions and awareness to arise in the relations between police departments and minority communities all across the country.

We've all had our own experiences with police officers, some good and some bad, but I know the type of experience you will have when dealing with police officers is heavily determined by the location in which that experience occurs. So because of the concentration of crime in minority communities (mostly due to poverty), they will as a result have a vastly different experience with the police than say an affluent suburban community.

But I am making this post to get your opinion on the laughing and high fiving that police officers do after just doing their "job".

Do you not find this disturbing?

Help me to understand this.

Click the link below which starts at 6 min 29 sec.

https://youtu.be/o3cAIrObRxA?t=6m29s

Full video is embedded below if you do not want to click the link. You can fast forward to the 6min29sec mark.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:43 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i dont see anything wrong with it, no different than football with touch down

Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
You might okay with high fiving violations of the law, but I don't think most are. It's disappointing every time. When I was in active duty, we never high fived assaults on terrorists. Nothing was good about the situation.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You might okay with high fiving violations of the law, but I don't think most are. It's disappointing every time. When I was in active duty, we never high fived assaults on terrorists. Nothing was good about the situation.
Are you kidding? The guys I had experience with were all hyped up afterwards. You can check Youtube for that stuff as well.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So you equate the supposed policing of a community to a game of football? Celebrating situations where people's lives and families can be drastically altered or destroyed due to an arrest or altercation is no different than celebrating the scoring of a touch down on an opposing team in a game of football?

Interesting.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:33 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
I see nothing wrong here either. Just cops giving tickets and arresting people. Policing the community -- as you said -- which is what we pay them for. I saw no lives or families being altered or destroyed in this video. Why shouldn't they smile and show enthusiasm if they are doing a good job?

For the sake of argument, ignore what the poster wrote, which is obviously his personal opinion: "Rookie NYPD cops are flooding black neighborhoods and writing tickets in mass to meet their illegal quotas while forcing their victims into homelessness or a life of crime. All this is being done to black men as the cops laugh and smile at the misery they are inflicting through this economic warfare" There's a lot of editorializing here, to say the least.

And just see what is happening in the video itself?

I can understand people being upset when someone gets shot or beaten on video. Have we now reached the point where we get upset watching a cop make a routine arrest or write a ticket?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:34 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
So you equate the supposed policing of a community to a game of football? Celebrating situations where people's lives and families can be drastically altered or destroyed due to an arrest or altercation is no different than celebrating the scoring of a touch down on an opposing team in a game of football?

Interesting.
Depending on what a person was arrested for, then yes, it could definitely be something to celebrate.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:41 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
The problem is quotas. The cops get in trouble and get poor evaluations for not meeting their numbers, The NYPD bosses treat cops that don't make their numbers horribly. So if you don't like it I suggest going to the mayor and city council about it. BTW that wont work because they use the NYPD to have a hidden tax on NYers. PS the cops would love you!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I see nothing wrong here either. Just cops giving tickets and arresting people. Policing the community -- as you said -- which is what we pay them for. I saw no lives or families being altered or destroyed in this video. Why shouldn't they smile and show enthusiasm if they are doing a good job?

For the sake of argument, ignore what the poster wrote, which is obviously his personal opinion: "Rookie NYPD cops are flooding black neighborhoods and writing tickets in mass to meet their illegal quotas while forcing their victims into homelessness or a life of crime. All this is being done to black men as the cops laugh and smile at the misery they are inflicting through this economic warfare" There's a lot of editorializing here, to say the least.

And just see what is happening in the video itself?

I can understand people being upset when someone gets shot or beaten on video. Have we now reached the point where we get upset watching a cop make a routine arrest or write a ticket?
So you would be okay with two or a group of officers high fiving, pounding, and smiling after they've written you a ticket or arrested you for some offense? That's professionalism to you?

Even though you are "supposedly" innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

It's not like people have been wrongly accused or arrested before right?

Old 09-20-2015, 03:00 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Um I played football. APPARENTLY you didn't.

There's no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events