Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,638,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They made an informed decision and are clearly committed to providing the best life possible for their child, who doesn't appear to be suffering.

It's their business. It's their child, for God's sake.
Have you seen the TV show, the Walking Dead?

Are those zombies alive? Because they show more signs of being alive than this kid does.

And the child is having issues and is suffering. Gastorial issues and multiple seizures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,974,014 times
Quote:
They made an informed decision and are clearly committed to providing the best life possible for their child, who doesn't appear to be suffering.

They don't put the multiple hospitalizations, feeding tube issues or inconsolable screaming episodes video on FB.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,883,094 times
^^^^THIS X1000

Keep it private, support it yourself and then I have NO ISSUES with you keeping it alive at great cost.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,847 times
Quote:
They made an informed decision
No, they made a decision after ignoring the information they received. That's not the same as making an informed decision.

Quote:
and are clearly committed to providing the best life possible for their child,
By relying on donations? What happens when the news coverage stops and people lose interest? What happens to the baby then?

Quote:
who doesn't appear to be suffering.
Weren't you just telling people that seeing the articles and video isn't enough to determine this baby's condition? How could you possibly know this baby doesn't suffer? I can say this baby doesn't appear to have any meaningful brain function, and that would be supported by the evidence.

Quote:
Then why are you talking?

Old 09-30-2015, 11:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,927,129 times
no one knows what that kids reality is...
he doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable
he seems to thrive with his mother
he might be very happy, content, at peace in his world...whatever that might be

to say they should have terminated him is ridiculous

the prognosis for continued survival is poor for him, I say let the parents enjoy him

Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM

593 posts, read 669,139 times
The kid is likely in no pain, i just read up on the disease and often due to the lack of brain development they cannot feel pain. It is really fascinating to me to try to understand how this kid can even cry or move his arms with no brain. The only part that gets me is the false hope. The parents seem to think the kid can say mom and dad (speak), and knows who they are. I don't think they are lying i think they are just drowning in hope that maybe just maybe Jaxon knows who they are.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Kathryn you seem to be a softhearted person who sees good in most things and in people.
That's not bad, you're likely a far happier person than I am, who sees the hideousness of people's actions clearly. I mean that sincerely not snarkily. Being a cold realist is not a primrose path.

What you (and many others with big hearts) may not see is that some parents, and I especially mean the "parade around like the world's ugliest dog" (Thanks MordinS) types who LOVE to gather ALL KINDS of attention from all sources for their "precious angel", you know the kind like these parents, always having fundraisers, plastering social media with updates, even getting on TV, being all vocal and LOUD (figuratively) about how SPECIAL their kid is AND getting all kinds of attention and praise in volume for being such special parents, are more into the ATTENTION and GAIN for themselves rather than a pure love for the kid.

I've seen this with parents of kids with cancer too. They love to GET ATTENTION. Be told how awesome they are. Pageant mentality types. Why not live quietly?
This is done under the guise of "raise awareness". Please.

Consider this: is it any less loving for a parent to prefer a child die than live life severely impaired?

I have always had more of a problem thinking of a helpless creature suffering than I do with it dying. Suffering bothers me. A lot.
Especially when the sufferer is helpless to end its own life (using IT because I apply this to humans and animals) and its existence is marginal and causes all kinds of issues for society as these profoundly neurologically malformed patients do.

In THIS case the kid is too malformed to suffer, as his brain is mostly absent. So it becomes even more a societal issue and all about the PARENTS who prob will have a reality show next.
I've seen this same thing in dog rescues. There are some dogs who have been so abused and injured that I believe it would be kinder to put them to sleep (if they can't die naturally without suffering). Like dogs w/o noses or legs or eyes gouged out. I question the wisdom of piecing a dog back together, no matter how bad off he is.

Children are not the same as dogs, of course. But if the parents find out early that the child will be this abnormal and not able to live life as a human being with a decent quality of life, I question the wisdom of putting the child through that, esp. if he's not likely to live long. In those cases, I think it's mainly about the parents need to prove they are religious or anti-abortion or that they're good, sacrificing people, rather than the interests of the child. I don't think the parents well being should be the concern at all, except in considering whether they would be able to care for the child properly (physically and mentally).

Old 09-30-2015, 01:17 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
The kid is likely in no pain, i just read up on the disease and often due to the lack of brain development they cannot feel pain. It is really fascinating to me to try to understand how this kid can even cry or move his arms with no brain. The only part that gets me is the false hope. The parents seem to think the kid can say mom and dad (speak), and knows who they are. I don't think they are lying i think they are just drowning in hope that maybe just maybe Jaxon knows who they are.
He may know who they are...or at least recognize their voices, the same as other babies. Babies don't know the people who care for them are their parents, of course.

The child does have half a brain.

Poor little fella. I wonder what causes that condition.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:41 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
no one knows what that kids reality is...
he doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable
he seems to thrive with his mother
What does that even mean? How could this child ever "thrive"?

Quote:
he might be very happy, content, at peace in his world...whatever that might be
He can't feel happiness or contentment. His brain isn't capable of that. It's not like he's missing half of his brain but the other half is top notch. The portion of brain he does have is malformed and doesn't function properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
He may know who they are...or at least recognize their voices, the same as other babies. Babies don't know the people who care for them are their parents, of course.

The child does have half a brain.
He isn't even aware of his surroundings. And didn't one of the articles say the baby is blind and deaf?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:15 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,118 times
I just assumed this was a story about a kid who grew up to be a politician...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events