Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times

Advertisements

First police are getting refused, now our armed service members!

Waffle*House*Refused*to*Serve*an*Armed,*Uni formed*U.S.*Soldier - Eater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
First police are getting refused, now our armed service members!
Waffle*House*Refused*to*Serve*an*Armed,*Uniformed* U.S.*Soldier - Eater
According to the link, Waffle House has a policy of prohibiting firearms unless they are being carried by a law enforcement officer. This article claims he was with the Army National Guard http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...=NYDailyNewsTw
But no matter what branch of the service he is with, why would he be wearing a sidearm?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
I don't think that military personnel can carry sidearms off base in a non combat area.

Here’s an excerpt from Defense Department policy on carrying firearms:
The authorization to carry firearms shall be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried. Evaluation of the necessity to carry a firearm shall be made considering this expectation weighed against the possible consequences of accidental or indiscriminate use of firearms. DoD personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties shall be armed.
Sounds fishy to me.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:29 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Seems like an attempt at 'shaming' waffle house simply because, gasp, this was a member of the military.

Policies and rules are just that. Not only military as per DoD policy above but also waffle house policy, only exception is law enforcement.

Sorry but no sympathy from me.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
Is it possible that the waffle house was in the range of a base? Possible the solider was a "MP"? ..

Last edited by Jimmyp25; 09-29-2015 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 09-29-2015, 07:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I don't think that military personnel can carry sidearms off base in a non combat area.

Here’s an excerpt from Defense Department policy on carrying firearms:
The authorization to carry firearms shall be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried. Evaluation of the necessity to carry a firearm shall be made considering this expectation weighed against the possible consequences of accidental or indiscriminate use of firearms. DoD personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties shall be armed.
Sounds fishy to me.
I did a little research and apparently in a few states (including Kentucky) there are state laws allowing National Guard members to carry sidearms at any time they want as long as they are in uniform

Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
He wasn't refused service, he was asked to take his firearm outside. Huge difference.

Waffle House isn't public space, it's private property. They say no guns, it means no guns.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:57 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
He wasn't refused service, he was asked to take his firearm outside. Huge difference.

Waffle House isn't public space, it's private property. They say no guns, it means no guns.
Good point.

In fact, that makes him look even more foolish.

No doubt there may be a minor attempt at 'viral shaming' Waffle House, again, simply because this was a military member. But I'm sure most people are smarter than that.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
He had no reason to have his weapon on him, he could have locked it in his trunk, eaten, and then retrieved it when he was done.

He was playing soldier and felt above their policy. They did the right thing.

Don

Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Does this 'no firearms' policy apply to law enforcement? I am actually surprised by this, I can see being antsy about armed civilians but a uniformed soldier of the Kentucky Army National Guard or a sworn LEO is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events