Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

You know.

My friend no-showed and the lied about why. KNOWING I had a limited head-count available for the venue.

I sure as hell wanted to bill her the $400 it cost me to make sure there was a spot for her.

Instead she's not my friend anymore (bc that was the final flakey straw that broke the camel's back).

Oh, and I look like a pretty big idiot asking her father how he was recovering from the stroke he never had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,964 times
They are both without manners. No wonder they were friends.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
That bride is bridezilla. I'd tell her to swivel on it if she sent a bill my way. Entitled little $%#@#.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 PM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
"bride bills for no-show wedding guest ... thoughts?"

I have never heard of such a petty thing in my life. People shouldn't have weddings if they can't afford them.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:39 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know.

My friend no-showed and the lied about why. KNOWING I had a limited head-count available for the venue.

I sure as hell wanted to bill her the $400 it cost me to make sure there was a spot for her.

Instead she's not my friend anymore (bc that was the final flakey straw that broke the camel's back).

Oh, and I look like a pretty big idiot asking her father how he was recovering from the stroke he never had.
Lol - I sent flowers with a lovely note to my co-worker's mother expressing sympathy for the death of her third husband, which she was having such a rough time dealing with that my co-worker needed to miss a week of work. I felt bad for the woman as I remembered that she had lost her second husband barely 2 years before, so I included my phone number in case there was anything I could do. She called all right. She wanted to know why I thought she had remarried even once, let alone twice.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Well, that's one way to end a friendship real quick!

If you can't afford a big wedding, here's a crazy idea.....don't have one! Do what you can afford. If that's a 6 pack and 2 friends munching on Domino's, then that's your budget. That's life.

Maybe the friend did attempt to contact the bride, but with it happening the day of the wedding, chances are slim she would have reached her. And if she did, it certainly sounds like Ms. Bride would have gone off on her.....who would want to listen to that? The invitation said no children. She had a babysitter lined up. Things happen. She can't leave her kids home alone or in a car while she attended the wedding.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Here's the link:

Bride Sends $75 Bill to a Guest Who Had to Cancel on Her Wedding at the Last Minute

I am curious as to what others think about this. I think it's rude of the bride & groom to bill the no-show guest, but JUST as rude for the guest not to let them know she (and apparently a plus-one) couldn't go.

The last line says: "Jessica [the no-show] told the news organization she has no plans to pay [the bill]" ... but Jessica also didn't say why she didn't do something as simple as letting the bride and groom know that she couldn't be there. A simple email or phone call would have done the job. (Yes, I know it would have been on the couple's wedding day and they would have obviously been busy, but SOMEONE would have gotten the message.)
Headcounts are set prior to the actual wedding date. Even if she would have called, it would be very unlikely there would have been any refund at that point.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
justice of the piece wedding.
The groom got him a piece!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Every such invitation includes a very clear request: RSVP … with a specific request for a number: how many will be coming to dinner …

Invited guests who replied that they will attend, but don't … are thoughtless jerks …
She and her husband did plan on attending. At the last minute her mother couldn't come stay with the children, as it was a "no children" invitation and they had no one.

By the way, these folks are relatives. I cannot imagine sending a bill to someone like this, much less a relative. Life happens.

Gotta be a heck of a story behind this somewhere imo. But, I too think putting it out there publicly is uncalled for. Like I said....There has got to be some anger and resentment between these relatives somewhere.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Headcounts are set prior to the actual wedding date. Even if she would have called, it would be very unlikely there would have been any refund at that point.
Well, yes, of course (someone else pointed out the same thing in a DM). My point was not at all about the money lost -- it was about courtesy (or lack thereof), on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events