Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:58 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Gender identification isn't remotely the same as wanting to be disabled. Sex-reassignment surgery isn't remotely analogous to disabling oneself of one's sight.

You might want to work on your concept of basic logic.
Exactly. Comparing the two is completely illogical. Anyway, I have heard about this mental illness, and it is extremely rare. It most commonly takes the form of the person wanting his/her limb amputated, especially a leg. The person is obsessed with becoming an amputee. It's very strange, but after so many years of wanting the healthy limb amputated, a plastic surgeon can remove the limb, the person uses crutches for mobility, and he/she feels normal and happy again.
It is completely logical, as both involve people who feel they were born in the wrong body. Matter of fact, when explaining the phenomena, whether for lay people or in professional journals, experts always throw in the comparison of Body Integrity Identification Disorder to transgenderism. They are considered related by the medical community, BIID is just less common is all. It is completely illogical and disingenuous to out of hand dismiss the association of the two simply because one is currently more socially acceptable.

If one is a mental illness, they are both a mental illness. If one is not a mental illness, neither are a mental illness. Choose one or the other. To do otherwise is making a value judgement.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I went blind when I saw her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I find it and its sister mental disorder (transgenderism) in need of alternate treatments and attention. Treatments which do not include codependent doctors and laypeople who will enable.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:23 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Psychologist blinds woman with drain cleaner - because she wanted to be disabled - Mirror Online

Short version is that this woman felt more comfortable as a blind person than as a sighted individual. So she took steps to put her body in alignment with her thoughts about how she should be.

I'm curious as to what the people who think that transgender isn't a mental disorder think about this. In my opinion, it would be hypocritical to criticize this woman for this if one thinks that there is nothing abnormal about transgenderism sex reassignment.

Totally nuts. You have perfectly good eyes and you destroy them? There are a million blind people who are going "Lady, you are seriously f**ked up."

Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is completely logical, as both involve people who feel they were born in the wrong body. Matter of fact, when explaining the phenomena, whether for lay people or in professional journals, experts always throw in the comparison of Body Integrity Identification Disorder to transgenderism. They are considered related by the medical community, BIID is just less common is all. It is completely illogical and disingenuous to out of hand dismiss the association of the two simply because one is currently more socially acceptable.

If one is a mental illness, they are both a mental illness. If one is not a mental illness, neither are a mental illness. Choose one or the other. To do otherwise is making a value judgement.

Yup.

They are both mental disorders--though, I do empathize with them. I just wish there was more help available for all. Pretending it's normal is a disservice to everyone.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:48 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
In "Slumdog Millionaire" someone was blinding children to make them better beggars. They were working as slaves, begging, to get money for their owners.

The U.S. government considers blindness to be a much worse disability than deafness. They give a tax deduction for being blind, but not for being deaf.

Hopefully there will be a bionic cure for blindness soon. The bionic cure for deafness works moderately well in a lot of cases, but still needs improvement.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

I wish I could rep you for this, but I have to spread it around first.

BRAVO!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Exactly. Comparing the two is completely illogical. Anyway, I have heard about this mental illness, and it is extremely rare. It most commonly takes the form of the person wanting his/her limb amputated, especially a leg. The person is obsessed with becoming an amputee.
I'm sorry, but there is no logical way you can make the above statement about the lack of logic in comparing the two issues, then make the following statement with any degree of credibility:

Quote:
It's very strange, but after so many years of wanting the healthy limb amputated, a plastic surgeon can remove the limb, the person uses crutches for mobility, and he/she feels normal and happy again.
Here. Let me make a couple of changes to illustrate the point:

It's very strange, but after so many years of wanting the sex reassignment, a plastic surgeon can change the primary sex organs, the person has another gender's appearance, and he/she feels normal and happy again.

Very logical to consider them both a type of mental disorder. When one actually takes the time to think about it. (Or unless your prejudices &/or preconceived notions get in the way of rational thought.)

Last edited by Starman71; 10-02-2015 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I have no issue with this as it doesn't harm others, and she is happier. As long as she doesn't need public assistance now, then whatever floats her boat. I don't understand it, but it's her life.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
What if being transgender is a form of a birth defect? How can young children who identify themselves as being opposite of what nature gave them be mentally ill? What about Tom Boy's, are they mentally ill or is that just the way nature wired them? I personally find it hard to compare someone wanting to purposely blind themselves to someone trying to live as nature intended as the same disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events