Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The Gun Nuts don't like that part of the Second Amendment, so they demur ...
Not to worry, I have decent inventory levels and regularly train. I qualify as well regulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:10 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What is wrong with having a "what if" trial and practice?

The kids do the same thing for Fire drills. It is rare that a school burns down with kids inside and even rarer that they would face a idiot shooter but stuff happens and they should be ready for it.

I see nothing wrong with Teaching kids to be aware and what to do if the "what If" scenario happens.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is wrong with having a "what if" trial and practice?

The kids do the same thing for Fire drills. It is rare that a school burns down with kids inside and even rarer that they would face a idiot shooter but stuff happens and they should be ready for it.

I see nothing wrong with Teaching kids to be aware and what to do if the "what If" scenario happens.
There has to be a risk assessment and understanding of efficacy. Frankly lock down drills are a bit of a joke. One has to imagine their efficacy is poor, much unlike a fire drill. The realistic risk is also tremendously low, fire on the other hand? Very real.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:46 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Global climate change and attendant eco-catastrophes will soon *trim* our numbers and disable most of our most troublesome technologies ...
You mean....dare I say....like it has done over the last how many millions of year?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:14 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
My kid has been having these drills since Kindergarten and I wanted to cry as she told me about the "fun game" they played in school where "the teacher locks the door and shuts off all the lights and we have to go hide in the back of the room and be quiet."

Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
There has to be a risk assessment and understanding of efficacy. Frankly lock down drills are a bit of a joke. One has to imagine their efficacy is poor, much unlike a fire drill. The realistic risk is also tremendously low, fire on the other hand? Very real.
We also have Tornado Drills, and I cannot remember a tornado in south Jersey ever being a threat. The drill involved going out to the hall and squatting down with a book over your head, lol. I can see much more benefit to a lock down drill....if they ever do need it, it's much better if the kids know what they are supposed to do ahead of time.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:09 AM

465 posts, read 418,260 times
Great idea! I think some parents have this silly idea to protect children from the realities of the world...everything is peaches and cream...nothing bad ever happens. Then when something does happen the children don't know how to respond when the time counts.

There has to be proper balancing act with informing children on the realities of the world. The great majority of people are very nice but there are some bad apples in the world who want to do harm. I think practicing drills is proper...but yes, I agree its sad that children have to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events