Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What about the "well regulated" part? Many of our gunmen don't seem to be regulated at all.
The Gun Nuts don't like that part of the Second Amendment, so they demur ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Best defense is a good offense.

This is what my kids' schools drilled into them. This is the program they followed, ALICE.

K-12 School Safety Training - ALICE Training Institute

Alert
Lockdown and prepare to counter and/or evacuate
Inform
Counter attack. Throw crap. Barricade the door.
Evacuate. Escape.
I like this. Even today when I get on a plane I look for things to throw, where someone could stick their leg out and trip a terrorist, exits, etc. counter attack stuff.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:08 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Haha..weren't you the one that responded after I said "we had guns at school 30 years ago" and you said...did they have nukes also?

WHy yes...yes...it was you....so, you fit the definition of demur....LOL...what a failure....

Old 10-06-2015, 03:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
We've left a Hell of a world for future generations, haven't we ? I think the human experiment has failed.

Don

Old 10-06-2015, 03:51 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
You say this, but in this VERY thread you provide this crap

Hahhahahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Yeah, but … In order to stop a determined well armed bad guy, it may be necessary to sacrifice a few innocent bystanders, eh … ???

*shrug*
Quote:
Should have a machine gun emplacement outdoors on every corner of the school building, and one at each end of every hallway …oh, and in the cafeteria and library ...
Quote:
One of the things we did as a nation -- as a society -- is we decided to stop terrorizing ourselves (and in particular, our children) with the threat of nuclear annihilation … ("Mutual Assured Destruction," i.e., "MAD" … !!!)

So we started to take measures, not least, including global agreed responsible reductions in the numbers of "nukes" …

Hey … !!! Maybe we could start to begin the first responsible initial steps in reducing the too easy too ready access to guns and ammo that make these massacres so … thinkable … ???

Naaaah ...

Old 10-06-2015, 08:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We've left a Hell of a world for future generations, haven't we ? I think the human experiment has failed.

Don
Global climate change and attendant eco-catastrophes will soon *trim* our numbers and disable most of our most troublesome technologies ...

Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Yes. Irrational people pumped into a frenzy over media hype and political sensationalism about how their kids are going to be abducted and killed, or shot in their classroom. It is a shame they don't recognize and appreciate that we live in a time of great safety where we don't have to concern ourselves with the real risks of prior generations, we have to magnify small mole hill into mountains and create phantoms to keep us on edge.

number of children currently 4-18 years old in the US = about 70,000,000. Number killed in the past 20 years in high school and grade school mass shootings = about 85 total , or 4.1/year. 4.1/70,000,000 = 1 chance in 17,000,000/year of dying in a mass shooting. Does it really make sense to have kids practice evacuation drills in the even of mass shootings? Is it really going to help?
You must not have any kids.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
One of the things we did as a nation -- as a society -- is we decided to stop terrorizing ourselves (and in particular, our children) with the threat of nuclear annihilation … ("Mutual Assured Destruction," i.e., "MAD" … !!!)

So we started to take measures, not least, including global agreed responsible reductions in the numbers of "nukes" …

Hey … !!! Maybe we could start to begin the first responsible initial steps in reducing the too easy too ready access to guns and ammo that make these massacres so … thinkable … ???

Naaaah ...

Yup....Naaah.

P.S. If you don't want a gun, don't get one. The rest of us, who realize that the threat of violence from criminals presents itself, not in schools but in our own homes, will continue to choose to own one (or more ) for protection.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I worked in public schools from 2000-2005, and we had lock-down drills then, too. All classes had to do it, including the 3 preschool classes, one of them Preschool Disabled. Imagine having to make a class of mostly non-verbal 3 year olds, many Autistic, sit quietly in the dark under a table for 20 minutes...not fun, but necessary in case anything ever happened.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 AM

361 posts, read 385,803 times
Quote:
Global climate change and attendant eco-catastrophes will soon *trim* our numbers and disable most of our most troublesome technologies ...
Can you give me a hint as to when "soon" is?

I've totally mismanaged my IRA and could use some good news.

Thanking you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events