Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 06:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,797,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll bet that if that teacher had assigned something similar but for Christianity instead of Islam, she'd be fired so fast her head would spin. Let's just face reality. It's now become very politically correct to support Islam in schools while at the same time minimize (at best) anything Christian. It's another price we pay for having a public school system including teachers that are very left wing in many parts of the country.
What a load of crock- you learn about everything in school- history, religion, culture, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 06:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll bet that if that teacher had assigned something similar but for Christianity instead of Islam, she'd be fired so fast her head would spin. Let's just face reality. It's now become very politically correct to support Islam in schools while at the same time minimize (at best) anything Christian. It's another price we pay for having a public school system including teachers that are very left wing in many parts of the country.
No, no, she would not have been fired *if* this is a study about religion.

Frequently Asked Questions - Religion | First Amendment Center

Quote:
Is it constitutional to teach about religion in a public school?

Yes. In the 1960s school-prayer cases that prompted rulings against state-sponsored school prayer and devotional Bible reading, the U.S. Supreme Court indicated that public school education may include teaching about religion. In Abington v. Schempp, Associate Justice Tom Clark wrote for the Court:

“[i]t might well be said that one’s education is not complete without a study of comparative religion or the history of religion and its relationship to the advancement of civilization. It certainly may be said that the Bible is worthy of study for its literary and historic qualities. Nothing we have said here indicates that such study of the Bible or of religion, when presented objectively as part of a secular program of education, may not be effected consistently with the First Amendment.”
Quote:
A “Bible Literature” course, therefore, could also include some discussion of how various religious traditions understand the text. This would require that literature teachers be adequately prepared to address in an academic and objective manner the relevant, major religious readings of the text.
You cannot have devotional Bible Reading, but kids can and should learn about religions. The problem for the Christian fundamentalist is which Christian religion. Kids need to learn about Catholicism, but many Fundamentalists object to that.

We learned about Catholicism and about Martin Luther's Encyclicals. We learned about the Protestant Reformation. Learning about religion though may mean having to give up some of your faith in your own religious tenets.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:29 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
What a load of crock- you learn about everything in school- history, religion, culture, etc.
I don't remember any religious stuff being taught in school. I remember pledging allegiance to the flag every morning. I never heard one word about god other than "one nation under god".

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-10-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,876,203 times
I am European, and when I was a child (many years ago), adults included us in conversations about other cultures and countries, as well world history and current events. When I was old enough to go the pubs, I often heard people having friendly debates about said subjects. I also engaged in conversations with both friends and strangers about the same subjects. It was a national pastime Some of the most knowledgeable people were those who were blue collar/working class, but self-educated. It was a matter of pride to learn as much about other countries and cultures as possible. I can't say it's the same now, not sure, but I doubt it.

I share this to say that I have not seen this level of interest and curiosity in people here in the US. I live in an area with many highly educated people, still, so many have no interest in world events. And, have no clue as to what's going on outside of the US. Perhaps it's a function of our society - we are all stretched to the max between work and family life.

While this is a broad brush statement, I think it's pretty accurate to say that the world is closing in on us. We cannot continue to be provincial. We must educate ourselves more about the challenges other countries are facing as sooner or later we will face the same. I am often reminded of George Santaya's quote "those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Back to the mom not wanting her child to learn about Islam. IMHO, looking at the contents of the book (in the link), it shows that they cover the Age of Enlightenment and Christianity. So it's not that they solely focus on Islam, it is appropriate in this context. I think she can use this as an opportunity to talk further with her child about world religions and discuss their family's faith and why they chose it. This is what a parent should do - teach and or supplement what schools teach their child.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,333,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Nice attempt at being bombastic.
You confuse bombast with sarcasm.

Quote:
I choose not to argue the point
You had a point?

Quote:
I have Iranians in my family and Muslims,
That's nice.

Quote:
Maybe it's time for you hit the wine again to have a different perspective other than being a know it all
Tonight is Ameretto and vodka and drunk or sober bs, still looks like bs.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't remember any religious stuff in school. I remember pledging allegiance to the flag every morning. I never heard one word about god.
You never took literature and analyzed the religious references in various texts? Did you read The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne? If so how did you understand it without understanding why religion and in particular Christianity was a central theme of the text.

Did you read The Canterbury Tales, The Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, Lord of the Flies, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, Heart of Darkness, David Copperfield, etc., etc., etc.

The fact is that Christian and Biblical references are everywhere in Western literature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/bo...ible.html?_r=0

Old 10-10-2015, 06:47 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am European, and when I was a child (many years ago), adults included us in conversations about other cultures and countries, as well world history and current events. When I was old enough to go the pubs, I often heard people having friendly debates about said subjects. I also engaged in conversations with both friends and strangers about the same subjects. It was a national pastime Some of the most knowledgeable people were those who were blue collar/working class, but self-educated. It was a matter of pride to learn as much about other countries and cultures as possible. I can't say it's the same now, not sure, but I doubt it.

I share this to say that I have not seen this level of interest and curiosity in people here in the US. I live in an area with many highly educated people, still, so many have no interest in world events. And, have no clue as to what's going on outside of the US. Perhaps it's a function of our society - we are all stretched to the max between work and family life.

While this is a broad brush statement, I think it's pretty accurate to say that the world is closing in on us. We cannot continue to be provincial. We must educate ourselves more about the challenges other countries are facing as sooner or later we will face the same. I am often reminded of George Santaya's quote "those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Back to the mom not wanting her child to learn about Islam. IMHO, looking at the contents of the book (in the link), it shows that they cover the Age of Enlightenment and Christianity. So it's not that they solely focus on Islam, it is appropriate in this context. I think she can use this as an opportunity to talk further with her child about world religions and discuss their family's faith and why they chose it. This is what a parent should do - teach and or supplement what schools teach their child.
I am American. Teaching ABOUT religion is far different that teaching the DOGMA of the religion. The teacher crossed the line. Although I have not looked at the book you refer to, I seriously doubt that there is ANY Christian Dogma just as I doubt there is Buddist, Hindu, or myriad other religions' dogma.

The parent is correct and the teacher is wrong.

El Nox

Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,045,286 times
Quote:
The belief that all Muslims don't want to murder all Americans will stop when Muslims don't murder people, anyone who disagrees with them including other Muslims with different beliefs, on a daily basis. In America or abroad.
Do you personally know any Muslims?

I used to work with several in an office environment. Some were smart, some were not; some were devout, more were not; some were in to fashion, others didn't care. Most of them had kids, but not all. They didn't drink at the after-hours social events, although many still attended. In other words, they weren't too different than anybody else. One of them became a very close friend. When I think that some people think she could be a terrorist just because of her religion, it's laughable.

I'm not going to deny the existence of radical Islam, but at the same time, they don't represent all Muslims, not by a long shot.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I am American. Teaching ABOUT religion is far different that teaching the DOGMA of the religion. The teacher crossed the line. Although I have not looked at the book you refer to, I seriously doubt that there is ANY Christian Dogma just as I doubt there is Buddist, Hindu, or myriad other religions' dogma.

The parent is correct and the teacher is wrong.

El Nox
How can you learn about Islam without learning what Muslims believe?

Old 10-10-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I thought discussion and teaching about religion was verboten in school? Is all religion off limits in public schools except Islam?
Nope. Teaching about religion is most certainly allowed.

You CAN Teach About Religion in Public School! | Teaching Tolerance

pdf guidelines

https://www.aarweb.org/sites/default...Guidelines.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events