Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 04:33 PM

10,036 posts, read 8,728,579 times

Advertisements

Back in January.

Tow Truck Burned To Destroy Evidence | WMIX-FM

He was more prepared a few weeks ago.

Tow truck company: Customer shot at driver because he was 'takin - KMOV.com

One of my first jobs was riding with a tow truck driver to repossess cars,mostly in North and East St.Louis. That was many years ago and I remember the driver keeping a sawed off shotgun under the seat. I didn't stick with that job long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:55 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,765,952 times
I worked at a buy here pay here lot when I was 17(long story how it was even possible) and part of the job was occasionally helping with repoing cars. While it certainly not east St Louis, we worked in an area where there are tons of illegal immigrants, and it could get dangerous at times. The last one I did the guy shot at us as we toar out the driveway at an old farm house. I cannot believe that more repo guys do not get seriously hurt or killed, but it was a scary scary job at times.

Tow truck driving as a whole is not exactly safe, my 1st step dad owned a tow truck for a few years, but most times people are happy to see you.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:06 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,357,520 times
I believe that once upon a time it was perfectly legal to shoot a repo driver due a peculiar quirk of Texas law making which made it perfectly legal to shoot anyone on your property after dark. Now I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.
But the police have declined to arrest Mr. Casey, citing a frontier-era law that gives Texans considerable leeway -- at night only, not in daylight -- to kill thieves and intruders.

The incident has cast new attention here on the Texas law, which was conceived as a deterrent to horse thievery and has provisions considerably broader than in most other states. The episode has also served as a galvanizing force nationally for repossessors, who are not normally politically active. Outrage and Protests

"If something doesn't happen to the fellow who shot Tommy Deen, that'll be a message to the public." Mr. Douglass said, "There's going to be dead repo men all over Texas."
In Killing of Repo Man, Law Shields the Killer - NYTimes.com

Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I worked at a buy here pay here lot when I was 17(long story how it was even possible) and part of the job was occasionally helping with repoing cars. While it certainly not east St Louis, we worked in an area where there are tons of illegal immigrants, and it could get dangerous at times. The last one I did the guy shot at us as we toar out the driveway at an old farm house. I cannot believe that more repo guys do not get seriously hurt or killed, but it was a scary scary job at times.

Tow truck driving as a whole is not exactly safe, my 1st step dad owned a tow truck for a few years, but most times people are happy to see you.
Most of the drivers I knew carried guns. The driver I was with was not supposed to have a gun because of his record. The owner of that car lot I worked for was later sent to prison. I don't remember if it had anything to do with the cars he had.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I believe that once upon a time it was perfectly legal to shoot a repo driver due a peculiar quirk of Texas law making which made it perfectly legal to shoot anyone on your property after dark. Now I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.
But the police have declined to arrest Mr. Casey, citing a frontier-era law that gives Texans considerable leeway -- at night only, not in daylight -- to kill thieves and intruders.

The incident has cast new attention here on the Texas law, which was conceived as a deterrent to horse thievery and has provisions considerably broader than in most other states. The episode has also served as a galvanizing force nationally for repossessors, who are not normally politically active. Outrage and Protests

"If something doesn't happen to the fellow who shot Tommy Deen, that'll be a message to the public." Mr. Douglass said, "There's going to be dead repo men all over Texas."
In Killing of Repo Man, Law Shields the Killer - NYTimes.com
I'd rather wash windows hanging from one of those high rise buildings than tow cars.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,456,093 times
I would not be a tow truck driver even if I was desperate for a job. My step-dad used to be a tow truck driver and got a bat to the jaw. He lost all of his teeth and now has dentures.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:27 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,765,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Most of the drivers I knew carried guns. The driver I was with was not supposed to have a gun because of his record. The owner of that car lot I worked for was later sent to prison. I don't remember if it had anything to do with the cars he had.
The guy I was with had the same problem, he had been in and out of jail and was the car lot's owner BIL, so he was not very professional and not very smart. The only good thing about repoing the cars was that we always had copies of the keys as nobody rekeyed their cars, of course if the car was disabled in some way it was a huge mess at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events