Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I have never heard of REI before this. I'm really not impressed. If they actually sold goods that people would line up at 3am to buy, this gesture would mean much more.

The fact that you haven't heard of them is on you. I doubt I know a person that isn't a member. Their stores are always mobbed in any state I've lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:48 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, this thread is an example of some people ascribing altruistic, holier than thou motives to business decisions, and other people saying "wait a minute". And no, not ALL employees are getting the day off. According to my link, some will be "on call", whatever that means for that business. And I'd be willing to bet my cat that not all the other employees are getting paid. I have worked enough to know a lot of the tricks. If you're considered full time (which very few in retail are) or permanent part-time, you're going to get paid. But I bet they have at least one other class of employee called "temp" or something similar, even if they're not working as a temp, that isn't getting paid at all.

Volkswagen was "holier than thou", too. And they turned out to be a bunch of crooks.
wow.. you really are bitter about this aren't you. I think you need to go get a massage or something. BTW, your post is proving my point. You are just ranting about how this bothers you so much and will complain about anything.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The online sales will more than make up for not having their stores open. Especially with the advertising they can get by being closed.

I try to not go into any store other than the grocery and hardware between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
It would be so lovely if people would read before posting...the online employees have off too, they said online orders will not ship until Saturday. I don't care how cynical you guys want to be., but I do think REI are good guys for doing this.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:00 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
REI is closing the day after T-day, and paying their employees.

Think of it as a Rorschach test -

Do you see a good thing, a nice gesture, an action in-line with the stated values of the company?

Or do you see it as a slick marketing move?

Maybe you see it as a bit of both?

What does your perception say about you? (Since its doubtful anyone on this thread works among the people at REI who actually made this decision- and therefore, none of us actually know their motivation - which means all of our guesses about WHY they did this are guesses/projections)

Old 10-27-2015, 02:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
What is it? A special holiday meant for shopping?
Thanksgiving is the holiday and all stores should be closed period ! Black Friday can be business as usual for whomever wants to shop .

Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting at all.
What facts? You don't have any.

The REI online store will be open which means all the people managing it will be working.

The employees in fulfillment will be working.

Prove otherwise or do you work for REI?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
What facts? You don't have any.

The REI online store will be open which means all the people managing it will be working.

The employees in fulfillment will be working.

Prove otherwise or do you work for REI?
OMG, they are not, read the story. Nothing purchased online Friday will be processed or shipped until Saturday.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:51 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Wow, I just cannot believe how many people insist on finding bad in something good.

So what IF REI is doing this mainly for good PR or other non-altruistic reasons! The fact is that a lot of "regular" working people are going to have a day off with pay. So, as others have asked, what in the heck is wrong with that?

Are some people just jealous because they are not getting an extra day off with pay, too? Or is it because some people feel they must criticize big corporations, even if there is nothing really to criticize in this instance, at least? Or are some of the people who are criticizing this move retail managers or owners who are feeling guilty because they are making their employees get up at in the middle of the night to go to work that day? Or what?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:07 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
No need to be open. They make enough money fleecing Starbucks drinking Whole Food foods buying 21st century yuppies from their money the rest of the year with their overpriced cheap Chinese crap.
The hiking boots I bought there were made in the U.S. And REI was the only place I could find that carried them.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OMG, they are not, read the story. Nothing purchased online Friday will be processed or shipped until Saturday.
Don't know if this the story you linked:

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
Stinnett and other customers will have to wait to shop online at REI.com, as well, on Black Friday. Their bold move to close their stores also includes freezing online orders until Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events