Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Strangely enough, when I worked in banking - an industry known for it's many paid holidays - we were never closed on "Black Friday." It was always one of our busiest days. It's a day that many families use to "take care of banking business" apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Strangely enough, when I worked in banking - an industry known for it's many paid holidays - we were never closed on "Black Friday." It was always one of our busiest days. It's a day that many families use to "take care of banking business" apparently.
Yes. The banks are packed. Grocery stores aren't though. I get a great deal of grocery shopping done on that day.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes. The banks are packed. Grocery stores aren't though. I get a great deal of grocery shopping done on that day.
Hey, that's a good tip! Thanks!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
I camp out at Dollar Tree on Black Friday

Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Good for them. Not sure why everyone here is getting hell-bent and cynical. Like any company, they have a core vision and philosophy and if closing on Black Friday helps achieve that, while taking a stand on something they truly believe then i'm all for it.
The other night, my partner and I went into one of the two local Chick-fil-a's that have opened here recently. As we were waiting in line, I took a look at the "history" that they had posted on the wall. Part of it was, to paraphrase, "we have never opened on Sundays, and don't plan on it in the future". While my own personal views don't particularly jive with the southern Baptist roots of Chick-fil-a, I couldn't help but thinking, "good for them".

As long as the policies are within the confines of the law in the places in which they operate, I simply don't see the need for any sort of "uproar". If you don't like what you see, don't patronize the establishment. Why the need to make it any more complicated than that?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I worked retail for YEARS. Literally the worst kind of job you can have is a retail job. It's thankless, low paying, you work all holidays & weekends basically. Shudder. I hope I never have to work a retail job again.
IT can be like that, too. Except with better pay. Weekends and Holidays were when we did upgrades and patches / moves. No overtime, either. Just dirty looks from your coworkers when you left early, because they didn't realize you'd been there until 2AM the night before.

On the subject of black Friday, what would the economic impact be if everyone just said "no"?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I guess I work for the only city in the US that considers this a paid holiday. Our emergency personnel will get two days of holiday pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Again, the day after Thanksgiving is a common work holiday. I previously cited my own experience working for large companies (both Pillsbury and General Mills), both of which followed that practice at least back as far as the 1990s.

This article is from 2012:

Talking Turkey about Thanksgiving Time Off

To repeat - Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, as a paid day off is the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My husband is an electrical designer, and every company he has ever worked for has been closed on Thanksgiving Friday. In some companies it was a paid day off, and in some companies employees had to take a PTO in order to be paid for it, but the offices were closed.

Also, a few years back in Maine, my husband also got Good Friday off with pay, but that was the only company he ever worked that that happened!
Big Whoop, all of you! I've worked in hospitals, health departments and doctor's offices. The hospitals were all 24/7 institutions. You either got Thanksgiving Day off, or you got extra pay for it. Nothing special the day after; it was just another day. One health dept (the only one whose policy I can remember) you had to use your "floating holiday" for "Black Friday" and only a certain % of employees could be off on any given day that the HD was open. At the dr's office, the office was closed Black Friday but we did not get paid for it, only for Thanksgiving Day. The maximum # of days anyone worked there was 4, BF was just considered one of your days off that week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Re: Above Post

I think the point is that it depends on what industry you are in that determines whether or not you work on Black Friday -- and whether or not you get paid for it depends on your individual employer.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
The other night, my partner and I went into one of the two local Chick-fil-a's that have opened here recently. As we were waiting in line, I took a look at the "history" that they had posted on the wall. Part of it was, to paraphrase, "we have never opened on Sundays, and don't plan on it in the future". While my own personal views don't particularly jive with the southern Baptist roots of Chick-fil-a, I couldn't help but thinking, "good for them".

As long as the policies are within the confines of the law in the places in which they operate, I simply don't see the need for any sort of "uproar". If you don't like what you see, don't patronize the establishment. Why the need to make it any more complicated than that?
Well put. And on the other end of the scale you have L.L Bean, which keeps its flagship store open 24 hours day, 365 days a year (with a few exceptions like founders death) so they can provide any sportsman any gear at any time of the day. All three are great companies.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Big Whoop, all of you! I've worked in hospitals, health departments and doctor's offices. The hospitals were all 24/7 institutions. You either got Thanksgiving Day off, or you got extra pay for it. Nothing special the day after; it was just another day. One health dept (the only one whose policy I can remember) you had to use your "floating holiday" for "Black Friday" and only a certain % of employees could be off on any given day that the HD was open. At the dr's office, the office was closed Black Friday but we did not get paid for it, only for Thanksgiving Day. The maximum # of days anyone worked there was 4, BF was just considered one of your days off that week.
So, what's the problem?

I worked in a department in a large corporation where the office was closed 6 days a year. Christmas, New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Thanksgiving. If any of those occurred on a weekend, we got another "floating PTO day" that year. If I wanted the Friday after Thanksgiving off, I took it as a vacation day.

Lots of places have the need for personnel to be around on days that many others are off.

Last time I looked, no one was being "forced" to work in these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events