Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 01:12 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
As a member of the co-op, I'm so happy that MY dividend is being used to pay people for not working, AND to suffer from no sales on the day when most people go shopping. Real smart REI.

Of course they don't really have "sales" anyway.

Workers should work! Nose to the grindstone. Make money for the investors. This is the American way. I don't understand this foolishness. The lack of work ethic is destroying the country. If people want to shop we should give them stuff to buy!

I am really hoping this is sarcasm.

Your dividend??? They are not using your dividend to pay their Employees.

Most people??! I really think most people don't go out on crazy Black Friday. Like others I used to go out on Black Friday and the day after Christmas--it has become way too crazy and too commercialized.

I am really impressed that REI is doing this. I am one that loves that I have the day after Thanksgiving off. I can enjoy being with family on Thanksgiving with not taking part of my day worrying that I have to get up early the next day. Glad they can do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because they know it will get people talking.

And Black Friday is not just a "normal business day".

Correct. It is a day with very high overhead because crowded stores require maximum staffing. It is also a day with many unsatisfied customers due to items sold out, long waits and crowds of people in bad moods, customers and employees both. It is a day when thin margins are cut much thinner with many loss leaders costing the store their normal profits. The stores will report record grosses but never a word about the bottom line.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:10 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Black Friday, Cyber Monday, ad nauseam, etc have all gotten well out of hand. Stores around here started putting up Christmas trees in late September.

I stopped participating in the annual Christmas wallet rape a few years ago. When I was a kid, I loved Christmas. As I got older, it just became this horrible guilt mechanism. I was guilted into buying gifts for people I barely know ( in-laws and such ), coerced by my employer into participating in their annual secret Santa and other nonsense, and otherwise made to feel awful if i didnt drop a couple grand each December, whether i could afford it or not. Throw in all the obligatory holiday parties and the " are we going to your parents house or mine?" guilt trip. Good times.

And God forbid if you are alone. You are made to feel as if it's a fate worse than death to be alone on Christmas. It's an equal opportunity misery making holiday.

I'm not doing it anymore. My kids are grown. I buy gifts for my friends and family when I see something they'd like, not when WalMart tells me it's time to.

If someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I just say " thanks, you too." so I'm not one of those obnoxious people that get butt hurt because people are wishing me a happy day. I just don't care to participate anymore.

That goes triple for black Friday. Not on a freakin bet.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I stopped participating in the annual Christmas wallet rape a few years ago. When I was a kid, I loved Christmas. As I got older, it just became this horrible guilt mechanism. ......
Good for you. The entire shopping debauchery that passes for the holiday season now has only existed, for the most part for only the last 40 years or so. It's not normal, and I'm betting a lot more will figure this out too.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Not sure why this rail against "Black Friday" came from..BUT the day AFTER Thanksgiving has ALWAYS been a work day.... It was NEVER another holiday...

So it is JUST another workday for people.. If you are off you go shopping..If you have to work you work...

We get more and more Stupid on this country everyday....
Actually, it's a work holiday at a lot of large companies.

I worked for both Pillsbury (beginning in the 1990s) and for General Mills after they purchased the Pillsbury in the 2000s). For both companies, before and after the merger, the day after Thanksgiving was (and still is for General Mills) a holiday because Thanksgiving was a holiday, and it didn't make much sense to bring people back for just one day before the weekend. They do the same thing with Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Independence Day - if any of those holidays in a given year falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday, the corresponding Monday or Friday will also be a paid holiday.

I have no issue with Black Friday - I don't shop on that day, but I have no problem if others do. On the other hand, I also have no problem if some businesses aren't open that day.

Businesses don't simply draw and retain a talented workforce. They do this by offering a sufficiently compelling package for potential and existing employees. And REI? Well, they're doing one damn good job at translating their business practices into business success.

REI's Crunchy Business Model Is Crushing Retail Competitors - Bloomberg Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
They must be western USA then because we sure as heck don't have them out here in the east.
Yes, you do.

There are 56 REI stores east of the Mississippi.

http://www.rei.com/map/store

Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
the whole not giving time off for retail workers is a load of bs. Their should be some holidays that people who do non essential jobs should have off. And for the police,fire,medical,whatever should be compensated some how.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
the whole not giving time off for retail workers is a load of bs. Their should be some holidays that people who do non essential jobs should have off. And for the police,fire,medical,whatever should be compensated some how.
They do get time off, it's just not the same as 9-5 jobs. It's the negatives that come along with working retail. I worked retail and would work 5 days per week and get 2 off, just like 9-5 jobs but my time off wasn't on Saturday and Sunday.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They do get time off, it's just not the same as 9-5 jobs. It's the negatives that come along with working retail. I worked retail and would work 5 days per week and get 2 off, just like 9-5 jobs but my time off wasn't on Saturday and Sunday.
I worked retail for YEARS. Literally the worst kind of job you can have is a retail job. It's thankless, low paying, you work all holidays & weekends basically. Shudder. I hope I never have to work a retail job again.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The fact that you haven't heard of them is on you. I doubt I know a person that isn't a member. Their stores are always mobbed in any state I've lived.
Ok?? Plenty of people haven't heard of them. They don't have one in my city, and I don't hike or camp so I wouldn't patronize them if they were here. Not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Who said it was a holiday?
It's a paid holiday for us.

That said, I've never been one for Black Friday madness. It sounds like hell - long lines, pissed off people, and empty shelves.

Cyber Monday is where I spend my dollars.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
The whole point of retail is that you work when most people are off. Weekends, holidays, evenings, etc.

That said, I agree that they should at least get Christmas and Thanksgiving off.

And I'm sure that emergency personnel receive some type of holiday pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events