Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The whole point of retail is that you work when most people are off. Weekends, holidays, evenings, etc.

That said, I agree that they should at least get Christmas and Thanksgiving off.

And I'm sure that emergency personnel receive some type of holiday pay.
Yes, for the holidays themselves, determined by the employer. So Thanksgiving Day, probably (that's one that almost every business gives) but most likely not the day after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:54 AM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
They must be western USA then because we sure as heck don't have them out here in the east.
We have them in NJ, they're generally in upper middle class areas.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Good for them. Not sure why everyone here is getting hell-bent and cynical. Like any company, they have a core vision and philosophy and if closing on Black Friday helps achieve that, while taking a stand on something they truly believe then i'm all for it.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
1) Black Friday isn't a holiday

2) REI is doing this as a business move as opposed to caring for their employees. It's a brilliant idea. And it's working to bring awareness, public support for REI.

3) Shoppers shop on weekends and evenings. Why is it so bad to expect employees who service shoppers that they'll have to work when others (including their family & friends) are off?

I don't understand the public outrage. Retail work is horrible. You're working when everyone else is off. It's the nature of the beast. Why is REI so concerned with the day after Thanksgiving? What about the rest of the year? REI should give their employees a regular mon-fri, 9-5 schedule--you know so the employees can enjoy time with their family. Then see how the public responds.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, for the holidays themselves, determined by the employer. So Thanksgiving Day, probably (that's one that almost every business gives) but most likely not the day after.

I guess I work for the only city in the US that considers this a paid holiday. Our emergency personnel will get two days of holiday pay.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I guess I work for the only city in the US that considers this a paid holiday. Our emergency personnel will get two days of holiday pay.
It's a holiday at my company too.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
REI usually has better quality items. The Wal-Mart crowd probably is not the target demographic for REI. Smart move on REI's part because as someone pointed out earlier, REI customers are going to do a lot of their shopping on-line anyway. They look good and don't lose business.
I always considered REI to be expensive. I do applaud them for this move and will looking at their website. If they have items on sale, then I will order as there is no store around here. I stay away from stores that whole weekend now. Been there, done that!!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
1) Black Friday isn't a holiday

2) REI is doing this as a business move as opposed to caring for their employees. It's a brilliant idea. And it's working to bring awareness, public support for REI.

3) Shoppers shop on weekends and evenings. Why is it so bad to expect employees who service shoppers that they'll have to work when others (including their family & friends) are off?

I don't understand the public outrage. Retail work is horrible. You're working when everyone else is off. It's the nature of the beast. Why is REI so concerned with the day after Thanksgiving? What about the rest of the year? REI should give their employees a regular mon-fri, 9-5 schedule--you know so the employees can enjoy time with their family. Then see how the public responds.
Again, the day after Thanksgiving is a common work holiday. I previously cited my own experience working for large companies (both Pillsbury and General Mills), both of which followed that practice at least back as far as the 1990s.

This article is from 2012:
Quote:
Nearly three of four companies have scheduled both Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 22) and the following Friday (Nov. 23) — aka Black Friday — as paid days off for all or most of the work force this year, according to a survey of 628 employers conducted by Bloomberg BNA, a legal, regulatory and business information service.
Quote:
Small businesses are more generous than large enterprises in offering four-day Thanksgiving weekends to their workers, the survey found. Two paid days off for Thanksgiving have been scheduled by more than four of five firms (81 percent) with fewer than 1,000 employees; only slightly more than half (56 percent) of larger organizations will do the same.
Talking Turkey about Thanksgiving Time Off

To repeat - Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, as a paid day off is the norm.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Good for them. Not sure why everyone here is getting hell-bent and cynical. Like any company, they have a core vision and philosophy and if closing on Black Friday helps achieve that, while taking a stand on something they truly believe then i'm all for it.
I agree totally. Let them do as they please when it comes to what days they are open or closed.

Just curious - how do you feel about Hobby Lobby's core vision and philosophy and taking a stand on something the owners believe in?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
My husband is an electrical designer, and every company he has ever worked for has been closed on Thanksgiving Friday. In some companies it was a paid day off, and in some companies employees had to take a PTO in order to be paid for it, but the offices were closed.

Also, a few years back in Maine, my husband also got Good Friday off with pay, but that was the only company he ever worked that that happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events