Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:22 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Basic principle of guns is you don't pull one if you're not ready to use it. I don't carry in CA, but if I'd made the decision to involve myself as the CCW did, I wouldn't wait for the perp to raise his gun in my direction either. I'd ideally give a verbal warning but if he started turning around with the gun up, I wouldn't wait. The problem with verbal warnings is you can end up getting other people killed as well. It's a judgement call based on the totality of the situation.

Anyway, perp did point the gun at a store employee. He didn't just lift his shirt to show the gun and say give me all your money. Since the CCW holder only opened fire after he was already pointing the gun at people, I don't really have any problems with it. Again, if I decided to involve myself I probably would give a warning but if he started turning in my direction with the gun up, I wouldn't wait past that. That's a lot of responsibility and one of the nice things about not carrying. Once the decision is made to involve oneself, however, you do need to be prepared to follow through. If not you're just more likely to get yourself killed than do any good.
Agreed. We had a CCW holder here get executed when he tried to intervene in a situation. He hesitated and the bad guy's partner shot him in the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:29 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Agreed. We had a CCW holder here get executed when he tried to intervene in a situation. He hesitated and the bad guy's partner shot him in the head.

Exactly! If you are not willing to kill in this type of situation it is best to stay away from guns and concealed carry. You have to act instantaneously and be willing to take a life. Hesitation will get you killed.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:32 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
A criminal with a gun in hand can be shot without warning. He has the gun to use it, you do not have to wait for him to do that.

Shoot him.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly! If you are not willing to kill in this type of situation it is best to stay away from guns and concealed carry. You have to act instantaneously and be willing to take a life. Hesitation will get you killed.
Because not carrying a firearm makes you immune from other threats.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:38 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Because not carrying a firearm makes you immune from other threats.
If you are not willing or too scared to use a firearm it is of no use to you and you should not have one.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, goodie! Ending a human life over a couple of hundred bucks always struck me as very proportionate.

I could never understand the mentality of a thief that would risk his life to steal the property of another.

Score one for the good guys.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:34 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The right to self defense goes beyond self. Defense of others is also a valid reason for lethal force.
So true

Old 11-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If you are not willing or too scared to use a firearm it is of no use to you and you should not have one.
I am not willing to use my CCW in defense of anyone that is not me or mine. Does that mean I should turn in my license?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Do you have any basis in fact in this claim or pure speculation?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
Using deadly force is justified when a person is using or threatening to use immanent deadly force against you or another person. And it doesn't have to be a gun. Warning is not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events