Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times

Advertisements

When I was hired as a white male minorities were assigned automatic percentage points higher.. Regardless of lesser qualifications.

There were some successful reverse discrimination lawsuits that stopped this practice.. I haven't checked lately

Harder to get young candidates today that haven't used drugs or havent been arrested...

Many military applicants cannot pass psych exams..

We constantly recruit... Step up...

Sad state for society and the anarchy results of unworkable social engineering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 06:53 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
In her mind, she was doing exactly as she was trained to do for her job.
Obviously, she didn't learn how to control her adrenaline as when that kicks in, it a powerful drug that will prevail over what other's may see as a common sense approach to handling a situation.
Your fight or flight reactions, when it kicks in, will make you do things that you wouldn't think that you normally would do.
It's hard being a cop, it's even harder to be a female cop who is dealing with someone who's a lot bigger then her and is not behaving as she wants him to.
She knows that she can't spank him or nag him into submission.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 11-09-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
When I was hired as a white male minorities were assigned automatic percentage points higher.. Regardless of lesser qualifications.
Please elaborate about what constitutes lesser qualifications.

Quote:
There were some successful reverse discrimination lawsuits that stopped this practice.. I haven't checked lately
Good.

Quote:
Harder to get young candidates today that haven't used drugs or havent been arrested...
Perhaps some of this is the result of our overzealous policing and mandatory reporting.

I watched a video of people being arrested in Austin for jaywalking. JAYWALKING.

Drug use isn't up, it's just that zero tolerance policies have resulted in more arrests. Most people experiment with marijuana and alcohol, but when I was a kid, your first offense would not have put you in the judicial system.

Quote:
Many military applicants cannot pass psych exams..
Don't get me started on the hell those poor men and women are put through fighting in the Middle East. They are this century's lost generation.

Quote:
We constantly recruit... Step up...

Sad state for society and the anarchy results of unworkable social engineering
You blame social engineering. I blame the misguided policies that started in the 1980s with zero tolerance, the reliance of private prisons (and the need to keep those prisons full), the misguided wars of the 2000s, and the militarization of the police.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... or like someone who saw a big spider of cockroach in her house... hysterical. She is clearly not the type of person who should ever be given a badge and a gun. If there's one thing police departments need to do it's to screen such individuals out.
I like your analogy better. Exactly, she has no business being a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Ew gosh, this was gross. That lady has no business being a cop. She was scared to death. I can't believe she'll be working again.
It's like a scared dog bitting some kids face off. Geez, it made me get a stomach ache.

I'm usually on the officers side but this is really difficult for me to find an excuse for, she just murdered that man out of fear.
There is no excuse for her.

If this was video of teacher who started smacking around 3rd graders that would be the end of her teaching license.

Must be a lot of idiots in that community, the ones who let her walk and the ones who are allowing her to work as a police officer.

God help the people that live there if they cross paths with her.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:59 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
I'm having trouble hearing what she is saying, I understand "stay on the ground", etc, but what else am I hearing her say?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:25 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
The jury found her innocent...

Who here feels they can dismiss that verdict because they don't agree or dislike it?....
Orange Juice comes to mind.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
OJ Simpson went free too. The video did not show the shooting so we are not seeing what the jury saw either. I can't make an informed opinion with out seeing that part of the video. It's unfortunate that the man did not cooperate and chose to run instead. Desperate people do desperate things. We don't know what his motives were and I understand her fear. I would be afraid too. Could she have handled it differently? Probably. I don't know because I haven't walked in her shoes. I do know that this entitled. not me, I don't deserve the consequences of my actions, and the haters are exacerbating the problem between the public and law enforcement. It's becoming a more dangerous, thankless, alienating job now. I worry about one of my shorties who is now in law enforcement. I wish she would find another job. As you said notmeofficer. The bottom line is that the jury has spoken based on all of the facts, not just the ones we don't want to see.
A civilian is also permitted to shoot when "in fear of my life," yet I suspect any civilian would have been convicted in this case, and I'm sure that experts of civilian self defense would say this was a "bad shoot."

No, being shot is not a proper response to merely running away.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-09-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
That gun is not for decoration. So, if a policeman pulls you over, you should think twice before running away. Is this just common sense or have a suddenly become a genius?
The idea that shooting is a proper response for merely running away is not constitutional, and is not supported by any police procedures I've ever heard of. Every procedure I've heard of requires a judgment of whether the suspect can be reasonably determined to be a continuing danger to the public or to that police officer. Of course, "reasonably" can span a lot...but not a guy with an expired registration who did not otherwise show up on a warrant search.

As already said, they had every means of catching him later.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Drug use isn't up, it's just that zero tolerance policies have resulted in more arrests. Most people experiment with marijuana and alcohol, but when I was a kid, your first offense would not have put you in the judicial system.
Back in the late 60s, when my cousin and I had our driver's permits and were just a couple of months short of getting our actual driver's licenses, we decided to take my mother's car out for a spin around the neighborhood (two training permits equals a license, right? Perfectly logical to a 16-year-old boy).

We clipped a parked car--very minor damage--but stopped in horror and the owner called the police. The officer called us out on four or five offenses. Then he looked at us closely and said, "I don't know you boys. If you were troublemakers, I'd know you."

He took us home, where my mother had gotten back from work and was wondering where the hell we and her car were. The officer explained the situation, ascertained that she was willing to pay for the damage, took note of the blood in her eyes and the mop handle in her hands, and said, "Then I'll leave these boys in your custody, ma'am."

I look back on that day and I realize what the officer was really saying was, "If you were troublemakers, I'd see it in your faces. That's not what I see in your faces."

I'll mention too: He was white and we are black. We both went on to college, successful military careers, and successful post-military careers.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:44 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Where's the "all lives matter movement" on this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events