Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Even easier.... I'm doing it online. Amazon prime gave me great discounts and it has already come to my door. I do almost all my shopping except for actual food online.

Last time I looked at Target I ended up going to Walmart and buying the same thing for significantly less since Target is said to be more 'upper appeal'. Me, the price is what matters. Amazon beats them both.

We've gone to Black Friday the last few years and I didn't buy much, but it was fun and I got GREAT discounts on the smaller stuff that weren't listed in the big door buster list.

I'll bet if they give employees the option of working or not on Black Friday a lot would work anyway.
It depends on the item. You have to watch the prices on Amazon carefully. It is actually considerably more expensive on some items than at a local discount store.

Target is cheaper than WalMart for some items, and most costly than WalMart on others.

WalMart is not as cheap as it used to be.

WalMart does carry some very low end stuff not carried by other stores, if that's what one is looking for. I wanted a doggie blanket one year. I wanted it to be cheeeeeeeeep. Target had only nice blankets. Too much $. I went to WalMart, and there they were (it was actually WalMart's Foodmart). Blankets for $5 each. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. They were sort of like flannel, but felt stiff like cardboard. Really cheap feeling blankets that I would never use for myself. But perfect for my dogs! Sold!

Target has much better dog food and treat selections than my local WalMart, which has a tiny pet section with not much stuff, and what's there is NOT inexpensive. Target's prices are great, and they often have good sales on the dog food & treats. With a sale and a coupon, I make out like a bandit.

I get the best prices of some stuff at Sam's Club. Cheaper than Amazon, Target, or WalMart.

So it all depends on the item. Every store has "come-on" prices on some items, to get customers in the door. They make up for it by charging higher prices on some other things. All stores do that.

Amazon: Don't forget that regular sellers sell things via Amazon. Most things on Amazon are that way. For example, GNC sells on Amazon. Same prices as its GNC stores. Not cheaper. And you have shipping charges. As for PRIME, I'm a PRIME member. The Prime prices are slightly higher than non-prime prices, to include the shipping charges in the price. It used to not be that way. Shipping is a big expense for a retailer, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Lol, dozens out of...thousands?

Okay.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:22 AM

56 posts, read 41,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Only in America do we want big brother to do something for us, so we can take the credit.
Consumers and labor have spoken, companies are listening and learning that if they want business, they have to behave in ways that will attract customers and not behave in ways that will deter customers.

That's not Big Brother. That's capitalism and democracy.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM

8,379 posts, read 4,363,801 times
Being a pessimist at times I can not help but think the majority of these stores have underlying reasons, primarily, the dollar.

First they have to pay employees, over time in many cases.
Then there is the cost of electricity,
then a lot of merchandise has to be marked down so profits are lower,
increased crowds, sometimes unruly, mean more security,
in the mass confusion of enormous pressures on sales staff and consumers, there is more damage, more shop lifting etc.
Increased sales on-line, easier access to price matching and so on help to reduce profits and more people just stay at home

All this together, at the end of the day, a retailer has to scratch their head and ask if it is really worth it. Odds are, its not.

So ..... they decide not to participate and instead of citing reduced profits as the reason they put a marketing spin on it and say they are doing it so the employees can stay home with their family. Now they look like caring employers with high moral values instead of penny pinching retailers.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Being a pessimist at times I can not help but think the majority of these stores have underlying reasons, primarily, the dollar.

First they have to pay employees, over time in many cases.
Then there is the cost of electricity,
then a lot of merchandise has to be marked down so profits are lower,
increased crowds, sometimes unruly, mean more security,
in the mass confusion of enormous pressures on sales staff and consumers, there is more damage, more shop lifting etc.
Increased sales on-line, easier access to price matching and so on help to reduce profits and more people just stay at home

All this together, at the end of the day, a retailer has to scratch their head and ask if it is really worth it. Odds are, its not.

So ..... they decide not to participate and instead of citing reduced profits as the reason they put a marketing spin on it and say they are doing it so the employees can stay home with their family. Now they look like caring employers with high moral values instead of penny pinching retailers.
Good points. I think this is being shown by WalMart this year. They aren't doing the hourly doorbusters this year. Instead, they are opening at 6pm and everything is there at that time. They 'say' it is to help the consumer, but I think it is to minimize costs associated with maintaining door busters throughout the day. These door busters generally create minimal (if not a loss) of profit. They are hoping customers buy other products that do generate a profit. i.e. buy a new TV at cost, but buy a 20 dollar HDMI cable where cost is only 3 bucks. I don't think this is happening anymore. Customers are coming in, buying that 0 profit generating TV and then leaving the store.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Even easier.... I'm doing it online. Amazon prime gave me great discounts and it has already come to my door. I do almost all my shopping except for actual food online.

Last time I looked at Target I ended up going to Walmart and buying the same thing for significantly less since Target is said to be more 'upper appeal'. Me, the price is what matters. Amazon beats them both.

We've gone to Black Friday the last few years and I didn't buy much, but it was fun and I got GREAT discounts on the smaller stuff that weren't listed in the big door buster list.

I'll bet if they give employees the option of working or not on Black Friday a lot would work anyway.
As will a lot of people.

So the burden of working the holiday simply shifts from the brick-and-mortars to the warehouses that never close.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:56 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Glad to know that you feel that you have the right to dictate how businesses should run their business and how people should celebrate their thanksgiving.
it is my right to have an opinion

have fun indulging in your materialistic desires on thanksgiving/black Friday with the rest of the sheeple.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
it is my right to have an opinion

have fun indulging in your materialistic desires on thanksgiving/black Friday with the rest of the sheeple.
Actually, I'll be relaxing at home enjoying a nice thanksgiving dinner and then spending some time in the mountains. Unlike you, I understand that people have the right to do as they please with their holiday and I won't pass judgment on them for doing so.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It depends on the item. You have to watch the prices on Amazon carefully. It is actually considerably more expensive on some items than at a local discount store.

Target is cheaper than WalMart for some items, and most costly than WalMart on others.

WalMart is not as cheap as it used to be.

WalMart does carry some very low end stuff not carried by other stores, if that's what one is looking for. I wanted a doggie blanket one year. I wanted it to be cheeeeeeeeep. Target had only nice blankets. Too much $. I went to WalMart, and there they were (it was actually WalMart's Foodmart). Blankets for $5 each. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. They were sort of like flannel, but felt stiff like cardboard. Really cheap feeling blankets that I would never use for myself. But perfect for my dogs! Sold!

Target has much better dog food and treat selections than my local WalMart, which has a tiny pet section with not much stuff, and what's there is NOT inexpensive. Target's prices are great, and they often have good sales on the dog food & treats. With a sale and a coupon, I make out like a bandit.

I get the best prices of some stuff at Sam's Club. Cheaper than Amazon, Target, or WalMart.

So it all depends on the item. Every store has "come-on" prices on some items, to get customers in the door. They make up for it by charging higher prices on some other things. All stores do that.

Amazon: Don't forget that regular sellers sell things via Amazon. Most things on Amazon are that way. For example, GNC sells on Amazon. Same prices as its GNC stores. Not cheaper. And you have shipping charges. As for PRIME, I'm a PRIME member. The Prime prices are slightly higher than non-prime prices, to include the shipping charges in the price. It used to not be that way. Shipping is a big expense for a retailer, though.
And … thus American careful shoppers unwittingly relentlessly continue to outsource and export American jobs overseas, making it increasingly likely that American shoppers will settle for increasingly cheaply made crap imported from the cheapest labor abroad ...

Old 11-12-2015, 07:43 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Actually, I'll be relaxing at home enjoying a nice thanksgiving dinner and then spending some time in the mountains. Unlike you, I understand that people have the right to do as they please with their holiday and I won't pass judgment on them for doing so.
well thanks for telling me your thanksgiving plans in order to seek my validation, but i am really not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events