Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,627 times

Advertisements

One main characteristic that sets Daesh apart from other traditional terrorist entities is that they state what they are going to do. And then they do it.

Here lately though, their command and control seems to have suffered somewhat from Russian intervention (or from other, internal strife unknown to us). They produced their first video about downing the Russian commercial flight by use of a missile. That was the first major 'lie' (misstatement of fact) that they have issued.

Otherwise, Daesh is historically distinguished from other terrorist entities by 'saying what they mean' and 'meaning what they say'.

A specific warning regarding a location as from this batch of butchers is in a different category from traditional, flamboyant blathering from others about generally destroying the West.

Let us hope that their command and control has been significantly degraded to the point of issuing empty, aspirational threats. But we underestimate them at our extreme peril.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 01:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus

The hysterical fear mongering is just over the top and completely silly.
Not if your AWAKE and aware of what this country REALLY DOES to the world!!!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Unfortunately I hate to say this.

I think ISIS is figuring out using automatic weapons is probably more effective that using bombs. The bombs at the soccer stadium only killed 1 non-terrorist, the weapons at the concert and restaurants killed over 100.

I think we should start getting use to the idea that we will be attacked by these people.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

I hate to say this also, but mass transit is just wide open to terrorists or any other whack-job out there with a weapon.

I was in Paris last month and my husband & I rode the Metro all over the city. And I couldn't help but think to myself.....this whole system is wide open for anyone with nefarious intentions. There was no Police, no scanners, no ID check. I read that the Metro was bombed sometime in the early-mid 1990s, and I'm truly shocked that the transit systems haven't had more incidents, or attempts at least.

I haven't been on an NYC subway post 911.....are there metal detectors or any kind of screening present now? What about the big hubs like Grand Central and Penn Station? Any security screening?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I haven't been on an NYC subway post 911.....are there metal detectors or any kind of screening present now? What about the big hubs like Grand Central and Penn Station? Any security screening?
No, but certain stations have a large police and even military presence. It's pretty much standard for the WTC PATH station to have armed soldiers standing around. The Staten Island Ferry has NYPD K-9s standing in the terminal and anyone with a large bag is stopped so the dogs can sniff it for explosives. The subway though is much different. It's easy to control the people in a ferry terminal, herded in an area waiting for one boat. They can even cut off the crowd when too many people board, leaving many waiting for the next one. Metal detectors for the subway would be crazy given the number of people on and off the subways, in and out of the stations, always, in a rush to catch the train, when multiple are running at the same time down there. The way most stations are designed, I'm not sure how it would work.

For NJ Transit at least, NY Penn station often has a large police presence (NJ Transit Police) and sometimes dogs as well. Same with Newark Penn, as I witnessed Saturday. Lots of cops, lots of K-9s.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:39 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Maybe we should track rentals of White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen.

Seriously, makes no sense to attack any area with so much law enforcement or armed security personal present.

I would have guessed an ocean liner myself.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:49 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
when I saw the thread title, I decided to click on it solely to see if someone would say something like this.
unfortunately it didn't take long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Yep, and with a racist username, I can see why.. Bait and Switch..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"Racist" how exactly? Is that word on some "No-No" list somewhere?
Quote:
what 'racist user name'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What does "uggabugga" mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
I wondered the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The word reminds me of what the stereotypical jungle savages say when they first encounter the White Man in any number of old black-and-white movies about explorers.

I'm curious if that's what the poster who bears that name had in mind when he/she picked it, so I'm hoping that he/she will come back and let us know.
strange, so much concern about a user name.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6041994-post329.html

plus, it sounds funny and give me a chuckle.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
it's time to start using WWII tactics again.

anywhere the deash flag flies will be bombed. they should never feel safe to wave their flag.

Memo to the Islamic world: you have 2 choices. either be part of the bombing, or rat them out.
It would help if they wore some type of distinctive clothing. I have no idea how we can identify a potential terrorist. They do not seem to want to disclose their plans.

I doubt if many of us have any means of identifying a potential terrorist, unless they happent to announce they are in a Mosque.

Nearly all if not all American Mosques have uniformed local police present during every prayer at the Mosque. Their presence is welcome.

I do not think you will find a wannabee terrorist making his intentions known in any main stream Mosque.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Eastern world it is exploding
Violent flares and bullets loading

I saw yesterday Obama is our new statue of liberty,,

gives us your .. radicals, your terrorists, your jihadists, this is who we are "

Old 11-17-2015, 03:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Eastern world it is exploding
Violent flares and bullets loading

I saw yesterday Obama is our new statue of liberty,,

gives us your .. radicals, your terrorists, your jihadists, this is who we are "
LOL ...

Osama bin Laden … (in some guys' wildly fertile imagination, still alive and hiding in luxury at Camp David, which soon likely will be renamed Camp Muhammed … ???)

"Jihadi John" … (in some guys' dearest wishes, will be seen still alive, working as a sushi chef in the White House kitchen … ???)

(Were these guys posting on medication and stopped taking it … ???)

Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
strange, so much concern about a user name.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6041994-post329.html

plus, it sounds funny and give me a chuckle.
Believe me, I know what you mean. You'd be amazed at how many people assume I chose my CD name because I like hobbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events