Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 06:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

ISIS threatens DC? Eh, I live down the street from Pentagon, I've accepted living here puts me at a high risk of being affected by a terrorist attack. I'm still going to a rave on Saturday and trying to find something to get into for Friday IN DC. I look at it this way, I have an expiration date anyway, I'm going to have as much fun before that expiration date as I can, no terrorist is going to make me stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:58 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
There is no budget. Ask your congressman how they plan to do Intel on the enemies with no money. We are still on a cr looking at govt closing dec 11. Lovely.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
ISIS threatens DC? Eh, I live down the street from Pentagon, I've accepted living here puts me at a high risk of being affected by a terrorist attack. I'm still going to a rave on Saturday and trying to find something to get into for Friday IN DC. I look at it this way, I have an expiration date anyway, I'm going to have as much fun before that expiration date as I can, no terrorist is going to make me stay home.
good for you.

An attitude like that is the best weapon possible for combating terrorism. The goal of terrorism is to paralyze the populace with fear. To refuse to succumb to fear renders terrorism ineffective.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:16 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Believe me, I know what you mean. You'd be amazed at how many people assume I chose my CD name because I like hobbits.
Lmao. Aragon= Aaragorn? That is rather amusing. There was no Kathryn in Tolkeins stories either. That seems to be a very...unversed...assumption, that your a Tolkien fan. Yea, I know its off topic, but I couldn't resist commenting. To funny.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
First the location does matter.

It reminds me of all the people who criticized the US intelligence services because they did not take the threat from Al Quida' to attacks the US seriously. An intelligence official said that there are thousands of threats to the US EVERY DAY. It is not that none of the threats are real but how to tell which ones are and how to act on them.

When I was in the Army we had a lot of this gallows humor. You probably would have been shocked but we would just laugh at you too and most likely take it up a notch.

I am not afraid of ISIS. I think Europe has more to fear from them at this time. YMMV.

If you cannot make jokes because of the terrorists then they have already won.

But I think it is good that you are directing your righteous anger at an American who did not kill anyone this weekend as opposed to the people who killed over 125 people in Paris on Friday.
Good post.

Personally, my family tends to have a "black/macabre" sense of humor. A lot of people would be offended but that is how we cope in "some" situations. You have to be sensitive as to when it is inappropriate.

One of my children (45) is in the medical profession (ER). Her and her other work mates can be pretty "over the top" with their sense of humor but I guess because they see so much, they have to keep their ability to laugh at times.

There are some pretty interesting posts on this thread. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
First the location does matter.

It reminds me of all the people who criticized the US intelligence services because they did not take the threat from Al Quida' to attacks the US seriously. An intelligence official said that there are thousands of threats to the US EVERY DAY. It is not that none of the threats are real but how to tell which ones are and how to act on them.

When I was in the Army we had a lot of this gallows humor. You probably would have been shocked but we would just laugh at you too and most likely take it up a notch.

I am not afraid of ISIS. I think Europe has more to fear from them at this time. YMMV.

If you cannot make jokes because of the terrorists then they have already won.

But I think it is good that you are directing your righteous anger at an American who did not kill anyone this weekend as opposed to the people who killed over 125 people in Paris on Friday.
Some of Europe is naturally shook up. But not all. Many people in the UK are so pissed about it all that they are digging in their heels. These are the folks who for years had to deal with similar from the IRA. They are a tough bunch. There are many over there especially in the North and Scotland who would knock the terrorists into the middle of next week given the chance. Just as when the IRA bombed them, they will carry on enjoying their lives.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
I feel NYC is another place they'd like to hit. Lady Liberty in particular. And perhaps Wall St. and or 5th.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I feel NYC is another place they'd like to hit. Lady Liberty in particular. And perhaps Wall St. and or 5th.
It would be difficult IMO to hit the Statue of Liberty. I think the WTC is still a target. Also the ESB, maybe Chrysler Building, definitely Times Square, Rockefeller Center around the holidays (so this time of year), I agree maybe Wall Street but I'm not sure about 5th unless they pick a really symbolic or important target more specific than that. TS is so crowded every day at all times that any type of terror event (shooting or bomb) would cause mass pandemonium and a stampede out of there. It would be terrible. People in TS are like sheep, standing around like the typical tourist, staring up with their cameras, wall to wall people moving in all different directions. It's a mess without a terror attack. Can't forget the subways, either. Definite target. Also Grand Central and NY Penn.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
The odds of being killed or even directly injured in a terrorist attack in the USA are vanishingly small …

But when they do hit us, as they almost certainly will, it will just … **** ... US … OFF …
The question then will be, "How do we respond effectively … ???"

Old 11-17-2015, 09:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Good, they need some clean up there.
While I understand what you said and who it was directed towards I sill don't agree with it. I may not like most politicians but we are a democracy and they were voted in. The thing is if ISIS is here, they are going after Joe and Betty All American going to dinner or enjoying a night out. They aren't gonna blow up the White House as much as they want to. I believe here will be attacks here on our soil.
Maybe then our politicians will think before giving lip service. It would be nice if I was able to carry a rifle to fight back with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events