Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:46 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,660,413 times

Advertisements

Silent Night, the most beautiful Christmas carol ever written and it is playing in the background while we watch "LIV" getting an abortion on TV. Something is very wrong.

Perhaps 'Jingle Bells' would have been more appropriate. The only thing wrong is that people are receiving life lessons from overly dramatized and soapy TV shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
TV shows choose the music they do to convey a message and the goal is to give additional meaning to the event the viewer is observing. I would love to know the rationale behind behind that choice.
A recurring motif in Scandal is Liv's listening to the music from the '60s and '70s LPs that Eli/Rowan gave her a couple of seasons ago. I've noticed her playing her father's records in a number of subsequent episodes. The songs in this episode were by Marvin Gaye ("The Christmas Song"), Aretha Franklin ("Silent Night," "Respect"), and Stevie Wonder ("Someday at Christmas," "Ave Maria"). I wasn't expecting not to hear some Motown carols from Eli's collection, and I was thrilled they used Stevie's version of "Ave Maria."

I've loved it since I first heard it in the 1960s. My mother's name was Mary, and I took it upon myself when I was a teen to buy her a different version of "Ave Maria" every Christmas. One year, I gave her Stevie Wonder's. The line "Ora pro nobis peccatoribus" is perfect every year (every day, really) and, depending on your POV, was perhaps even more appropriate than usual in this episode in which the lead character has just had an abortion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfSoFQCiNF4

As for "Silent Night," well, this was an episode about birth. It just happened to include an element of the absence of birth.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-21-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 02:14 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would assume the song was picked to make the moment seem more poignant, like the baby is silent now kind of thing. If I were a young girl debating an abortion, watching that scene with that song would have made me feel emotional and less likely to go get one. A song that did not engender any sort of emotional response to me would have been much worse to me.
Good thing that's not why they showed it.

It's a tv show, if a tv show can influence you to get or jot get an abortion, you need to find another source of info.

I hate when people take fiction far too seriously.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Good thing that's not why they showed it.

It's a tv show, if a tv show can influence you to get or jot get an abortion, you need to find another source of info.

I hate when people take fiction far too seriously.
I was mainly addressing OP, who is clearly pro-life and seems upset that a song she loves appeared to be used in a gratuitous way, during a scene she found disturbing. I was trying to let her know it could have had a good effect, too, that it doesn't necessarily mean her song was tarnished by its use in the episode.

Yes, of course I would let a TV show influence me to get an abortion, who wouldn't?

Old 11-21-2015, 03:47 PM

563 posts, read 524,076 times
It is only a TV show. Get over it. It is people like the OP who try to dictate their morality to others. This is a free country. Remember that. My advice? Change the channel!

Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Silent Night, the most beautiful Christmas carol ever written and it is playing in the background while we watch "LIV" getting an abortion on TV. Something is very wrong.

Why is that wrong? We watch shows full of serial murders, rape, torture, it is called drama. Why is this wrong? Please explain to me.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Scandalous.

And that was the reaction they were hoping for.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Ok, so if you're so offended, why watch this program? I have a suspicion you may be looking for something to be offended by....

Old 11-21-2015, 05:44 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yes, watching even one episode of that stupid show is "very wrong".

Old 11-21-2015, 05:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Ok, so if you're so offended, why watch this program? I have a suspicion you may be looking for something to be offended by....
I doubt people who watch Scandal weekly thought this music would play with that controversial scene. It's not like you can always see music choices coming with TV shows, especially a scene like this with such a religious song. Watching a show, a scene like that catches you by surprise. Sure you can turn it right off but you can't un-see or un-hear what you happened to see before you turned it off that caused you to turn it off.

You act like people go out of their way to watch a "controversial" scene on a TV show they probably like, which I assume is why they watch it in the first place. Unless anybody has never watched Scandal and heard about this in passing and is now outraged, your point doesn't make much sense. But shows have weekly audiences, I for one don't tune into a show randomly while it airs without following it pretty regularly. So perhaps people watch this show because they like it, yet didn't like this one scene. They're allowed to dislike a scene or song choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events