Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:36 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,422,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There’s a lot of propaganda being pushed by the coal industry trying to keep a dying industry alive. Unfortunately too many people believe “everything” they read or hear and fail to check the source of the information. Propaganda is amazing and can cause more harm than good. To hell with clean energy lets burn more coal for electricity.
Coal is only dying due to government interference solar is inefficient and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Coal is only dying due to government interference solar is inefficient and expensive.
And coal is cheap to mine, process, transport, and convert to usable energy?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:45 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,502,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Relatively, yes. The problem with coal is not the cost to mine, process or transport, the problem is the pollution.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:46 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

Are there any solar power engineer/scientists here on City-Data? If so, can you tell us if there is a significant wave length difference with the sunlight reflected from solar panels versus that which would be reflected from the ground, dirt, grass, vegetation, and trees?

Does the presence of solar panels significantly change the water cycle such as in evaporation and transpiration?

Finally, just from a Texan's standpoint, what's the change in the water run off during rainfall?

Now, as I take my demonic robes off, the thing is nature is not as simple as we might want to believe. We raked that Congressman over the coals for saying that wind was a resource that could be used up (putting aside here that he might have been misquoted) but on the other hand, consider all the decades we dumped into the oceans because we believed it was infinite.

I grant "you" that solar power probably has wonderful benefits over other sources.....but there are probably disadvantages as well. These town people may indeed have a point even if it is expressed in ways that many see as nonsense.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 PM

The coal industry also receives subsidies. Big ones.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:07 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,138,194 times
I am not an electrical engineer nor a physicist. Just a guy that is considering going off grid and been looking at the options for a few years. The biggest problen with solar is the initial cost and the need for storage batteries. My big concern is in regards to the disposal of the batteries when they go dead. Although there are batteries available that should last at least 20 years they will eventually go dead and will present a disposal problem.

The primary advantage I see for solar is that over all it is the most environmentally friendly.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM

Most solar installations in the U.S. are not off-grid.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:31 PM
46H

1,656 posts, read 1,410,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald....ts-solar-farm/
Apparently they already have three farms (plus substation) and this one would have made the town ringed in (totally circled).
Wrong. The solar farm will surround the SUBSTATION only.

Quote:
It appears to me it was rejected because the panels aren't lowering their electric bills.
This is an industrial installation that has zero to do with the town other than to be located in the town. It will produce electricity and send it into the grid via the substation. This is how every business works, the town does not participate in profits.

Quote:
And, there were understandable concerns about property values. Some of the townspeople's objections are extremely laughable, but you are always going to have a few nut cases. Follow the money, it's usually about the money, they weren't seeing a profit.

It seems that the array was outside the town limits, but still subject to local zoning. If somebody continued to farm the land Woodland wouldn't see any profit.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The coal industry also receives subsidies. Big ones.
Mostly from government assistance for low income persons as well as general business deductions. There are no tax subsidies unique to the coal industry. The same cannot be said for solar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events