Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That's uncalled for... (I don't like BLM either because their protesting in the wrong places but no need to jump to unnecessary conclusions)
I don't think she made a racist comment at all, but was trying to stress diversity.

Read her statement carefully:

"Just today we met with a supplier and the entire other side of the table was all Caucasian males. That was interesting," Brewer said. "I decided not to talk about it directly with [the supplier's] folks in the room because there were actually no female, like, levels down. So I’m going to place a call to him.""

Let's play change different races/eithic groups with the 1st line. You would be ok if it read like this?

""Just today we met with a supplier and the entire other side of the table was all "Asian males"..... "Black males"..... "Hispanic males".....etc. "

I think labeling people in such a context, no matter the race/sex, is rude to say the least. And you don't think there would be outrage against such speak, especially if it came from a white male or white female?

How about the last line, "So I’m going to place a call to him."

What business does this individual have in telling other companies what race/sex the "other side of the table" should be, especially when it's not their company to manage? Simply don't do business with this company if it's that much of an issue but I always thought business was business and done at a level of who has the best product/service/price, not being concerned what the race or sex is of the people one is doing business with. If I was dealing with a company that was all of any one race or sex, great, I don't care, as long as I'm dealing with competent professionals and the product or service is there at the right price.

How would you like it if you had a business and was told you don't have enough of this sex, this age, this race, etc. in your company and someone needed to place a "call" about it? What's next, we take this to personal relationships where we are told by someone else "why don't you have more this/that color/sex friends?....I'm going to make a "call" to square this away.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-14-2015 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,693,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You mean like the majority of major metros in America? A white person can't get a civil service job to save their lives in those areas. What she is expecting is ridiculous and shows her racist tendencies towards whites.
I had to LOL at that because it's so true. The unspoken sign for civil service.."Whites need not apply"

Old 12-14-2015, 09:04 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,696,558 times
As the CEO of Walmart, she would only be placing a call to them to, at a minimum, share her expectations, and at a maximum, make demands. If they want to do business with Walmart, they will comply.

This is an abuse of power. She has no business being CEO of anything.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:29 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,858,039 times
If the people you're dealing with are qualified to make a deal, what's the problem? Do y ok ur business and go on about your day. There is no need to make everything about race, sex or, politics.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 AM

19,906 posts, read 12,197,448 times
9.5 million compensation this year.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:26 AM

387 posts, read 358,217 times
Vote out the *******s and this Massive PC garbage will go away

I do think there should be some "slight" affirmative action based on race....But nothing at all based on Gender (Women are actually doing better in society by most standards than Men are so if anything it should be reverse...if of course the real purpose of Affirmative Action is to help out the struggling groups)....

No special treatment for Gender or Sexual Orientation....Slight (and I mean slight) special treatment for Blacks and Hispanics....

Old 12-15-2015, 02:23 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,455,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Looks like she showed her true color afterall with being racist.
I'm not sure about her racism (it is highly likely) but her sexism is screaming out.

El Nox

Old 12-15-2015, 03:21 AM

19,979 posts, read 30,346,743 times
she should have also been curious about how many gays in the room..

that should be a list on the wall
preference to non whites, and non heteros

so as a vendor id be sending my handi-capped in a wheel chair black lesbian product sales director

and if they refuse to buy my products,,,i will scream racism, homophobia and sue them to retirement!!

this is the result of the liberals...shaming and guilting the white establishment..

its pc b.s.

something the liberals should celebrate

Old 12-15-2015, 04:08 AM

16,767 posts, read 8,750,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
BLM working their way into the corporate world !!

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried. Both Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have been shaking down companies for decades with their respective groups.

`

Old 12-15-2015, 05:04 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,150,465 times
There are a number of justifications for affirmative action or diversity initiatives. People can argue all day and all night about the relative merits of such justifications.

But look at it this way. If your company customer base roughly reflects the demographical makeup of this nation overall, let's just say, 53% women, 13% blacks, 7% Hispanics, 5% Asian, 5% LBGT and so on, ask yourselves how best to serve all of your customers. As a straight dude, I can honestly tell you I have no idea how to maximize sales on women customers or LBGT customers. Or black customers.

If you are a white, straight male you don't either, if you are being completely honest. If you open up a branch in Kenya, don't you think it makes total business sense to hire at least some Kenyans to figure out how to maximize your branch's performance with the natives? You can't learn this chit from a book, website or blog. Not even from Breibart.

Thus, while you can (and will) still have personnel made up predominantly of white males, having diversity of viewpoint and expertise within the distinct group culture would be a competitive advantage.

It's unfortunate, but I find that most white males complaining about affirmative action or diversity initiatives are the ones who wouldn't have gotten the position or promotion in question anyway - in other words, other white, Asian or Jewish male/female would have gotten that position instead of the complainer because they are simply more qualified (irony!). Like that plaintiff in the UT affirmative action case - she wouldn't have gotten in anyway even if no diversity consideration came into play, because other more qualified non-underrepresented minority would have taken her spot (as they showed by statistics in their case). Also, why do you (whoever you are) assume that you are more qualified than ANY minority or women? It's rather ignorant and surely not rational or true. I don't care who you are, you are no intellectual match for Thomas Sowell, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku or Ted Cruz (I threw in a couple of conservatives in there for ya). Right? I know I sure ain't.

I have no doubt that all this stuff is extremely frustrating and is an easy scapegoat if you don't get a job or promotion. I understand this human nature, and sometimes you could be absolutely right. But don't delude yourself. Please.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events