Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 AM

78,868 posts, read 61,063,313 times

Advertisements

I'd also like to point out that she focused on their apparent gender and skin tone.

It's possible that one of them was gay or maybe just looked white-ish and has native American, Asian or other ancestry.
(I have a couple friends like this. One is 1/2 indian and looks totally European. Another is 1/2 black and looks Italian etc.)

No, she commented on their superficial cosmetic appearances and deemed that they were not diverse.

Speaks volumes right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,188,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Soooo, if I walk into a company meeting and see 3 Asian women....I should call the owner up to discuss their lack of diversity and it's just a "discussion"?

After the CEO stated that they encourage\pressure their suppliers to be diverse?

Have you ever worked in a corporate setting?
Have you? I have actually worked as a vendor for Walmart Stores Inc. and met Roz and I am a token white male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd also like to point out that she focused on their apparent gender and skin tone.

It's possible that one of them was gay or maybe just looked white-ish and has native American, Asian or other ancestry.
(I have a couple friends like this. One is 1/2 indian and looks totally European. Another is 1/2 black and looks Italian etc.)

No, she commented on their superficial cosmetic appearances and deemed that they were not diverse.

Speaks volumes right there.
It was undoubtedly a silly comment because diversity is much deeper than gender and skin color, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an example in poor taste. I don't think that simple example makes her racist.

I just hope all the same people that are getting upset about this are pissed at most of the republican party right now as well.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,696,030 times
Walmart corporate structure is 88% WHITE.

Maybe she should concern herself with her own company first over vendors.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 AM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,699,090 times
I buy products from Sam's. I am a little partial to the color red on the packaging. White, green and blue are good colors to look for also. Yellow is very visible. The race of the person checking me out, matters not at all.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:43 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Forcing a specific racial makeup as opposed to the merit based hiring / promotion is racist. Which is informatively the new "normal".
most of those executives probably got their jobs from family or friends. which makes it hard for other black/white/hispanic/asian men and women not in the old boy network to be invited even if they might have more merit.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-15-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 10:56 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I want to know why blacks make up over 90 percent of pro basketball rosters then. Why is that? How can that be when they only make up 15 percent of the population? I'll tell you why it is..they are best qualified for the job. If we want diversity , maybe Pete who cant touch the net should play because he is white.. Diversity is great until it affects the bottom line.

And no, I am not saying a white basketball player can't be great or a black man can't be a great CEO.
Good analogy. And I agree with your conclusion. If someone is good at what they do, and the person hiring is footing the bill/paying the salary wants to hire them not because of their color/race but because of their talent, it's not the business of a CEO to make a "call" on the issue to the other company. That's a companies business, no one elses, who they hire. And if race/sex is a primary factor of a CEO if they should do business with another company over quality of service/goods? That's a company I sure wouldn't want to invest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Perhaps your interpretation was we should be moving to a more colorblind country, however the majority, believe we should be moving towards a more inclusive and accepting society that understands the cultures and diversity other viewpoints offer.
I was brought up to judge people by their character, who they are over anything else, and I indeed think most people are like that.

But that's not the issue here....I think this is an issue about business, the bottom line, and personal choice. And how do you know the circumstances in this case why all the people of this company at this level were white men and jump to the conclusion they weren't being "inclusive' in their hiring? Perhaps this company is a family business/has lots or all family members as part of it. Maybe the woman in this family had their own careers, decided to raise their own kids, etc. Perhaps they live in part of the country/world where one race is dominant. No matter the reason, it's their company and they have a right to hire who they want without you or I to judge. And again, if another business wants to use race/sex as a major reason to do or not to business with a company, make a "call" to someone to complain about the "issue", doesn't that scream as overreaching to you? Isn't that also unprofessional conduct in a business setting? You're not going to honestly tell me if you had a small business and someone from another company started butting into your business telling you don't have the right number of this race/sex working for you, even though you think it's "balanced", or had your own reasons on the merits of business for hiring the people you hired.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,934,611 times
The CEO asked a good question. Why so few, like none, women in your organization? After all there are women all over the place so demographics are meaningless.

FWIW - Walmart started the annoying habit of getting into the management of their suppliers including the suppliers move production overseas so WM would not have to charge so much for the product. That is an abuse of the market and another form of monopoly.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,696,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The CEO asked a good question. Why so few, like none, women in your organization? After all there are women all over the place so demographics are meaningless.

FWIW - Walmart started the annoying habit of getting into the management of their suppliers including the suppliers move production overseas so WM would not have to charge so much for the product. That is an abuse of the market and another form of monopoly.
Why didn't she ask it of her own company ?
88% White. She has no leg to stand on seeing Walmart's demographics of their executives.
Sam's Club is just one division of Walmart.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:54 AM

78,868 posts, read 61,063,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Have you? I have actually worked as a vendor for Walmart Stores Inc. and met Roz and I am a token white male.

It was undoubtedly a silly comment because diversity is much deeper than gender and skin color, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an example in poor taste. I don't think that simple example makes her racist.

I just hope all the same people that are getting upset about this are pissed at most of the republican party right now as well.
You just touched on a really really important point and why people are making a big deal out of this when maybe it's just "poor taste".

You see, whom get's forgiven and whom gets pilloried in the press is largely dependent upon political games as well as race.

You even mention "republicans".

This whole thread is nothing more than a group of people that are constantly assailed as racist etc. and not given the benefit of the doubt for making a mistake or a comment dismissed as poor taste so when someone like Roz does it you then want them to give her a pass? Nope, they are going to jump on the meme and make their political rivals look like hypocrits that give out indulgences.

Dear god, look at the cover-up and shooting in Chicago and you don't even have Jesse Jackson calling for Rahm Emanuels resignation because of politics. If Emanuel were a republican we know what he and many others would be saying.

That's why we have this thread.

P.S. Doesn't make one side right or better than the other but it's just where racial politics ends up...the gutter.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,428,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That's uncalled for... (I don't like BLM either because their protesting in the wrong places but no need to jump to unnecessary conclusions)
I don't think she made a racist comment at all, but was trying to stress diversity,
Comments stressing diversity are racist comments, since diversity means fewer white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events