Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post

What I can't figure, is why they would toss the Xmas Tree out the window, and do so much damage to the home. I like to give Cops reasonable doubt, when we see a Horror story like this, but it sure is hard to come up with any excuse for such gross negligence. Somebodies head needs to roll here.
Yet another example of an attack on Christianity!

I wonder if the cops weren't trained on whatever thermal imaging tool they were using or if it was defective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
"Some may suggest you just rush in and we could have cleared that house in a matter of minutes. But if there was a suspect in there and would have shot one of our officers or something else happened and he was able to breach the perimeter and jeopardize the safety of the residents nearby, that's not a risk I'm willing to take."

It's becoming a lot clearer over time that one of the biggest factors behind the systematic abuse that seems to go hand in hand with modern police tactics is the philosophy that the safety of law enforcement officers takes precedence over the safety of the citizens they are supposedly charged with protecting and serving. There is an inherent danger involved with law enforcement work, and naturally we want to keep law enforcement officers as safe as possible, but when those safety protocols cross the line in to violating the civil rights of the people then those protocols have gone too far.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
"Sheriff Groves says the homeowner was made aware of a program to the FBI offers to help with home repair in these types of situations."

Why should they be expected to use federal funds to fix their home? According to the article, local law enforcement screwed up. Let the money come from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I have a feeling after the mega law suit, the homeowner will get a very nice brand new home and some spending cash after all is said and done.

Gosh, what ever happened to surveillance?
The police department will pay nothing. They have qualified immunity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity

The police received a tip. That basically gives them carte blanche to go in and destroy whatever in the process. And they undoubtedly did so because they know they won't be held to account for it. When law enforcement is made to pay for its mistakes - destroying someone's home for no valid reason, gunning down someone who didn't pose a threat - then law enforcement would stop doing those things so often. It's just basic deterrence. But since they're allowed to do so, they have no reason to change their behavior.

And if you, the homeowner, protest? You can be shot dead, and the magic phrases "I thought he had a gun!" or "I feared for my life!" are the killing officer's get-out-of-jail-free card.

The daily irrelevant » Supremes to Victims of Wrong House Searches: Deal With It
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Los_A...nty_v._Rettele

Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The police received a tip.

And to me, this is what it's all about. The police have their own 'police cops' who should thoroughly investigate this. Methinks all is not well in the Joplin cop shop. Absent some cop internal affairs investigation, with a public report of same, it's time for the state and feds to step in. Let's follow the chain-of-command and keep the worthless DOJ out.

El Nox

Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
might end up with a new place-- -- what the gov. tears up they rebuild

Old 12-18-2015, 03:15 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

I wonder if the cops weren't trained on whatever thermal imaging tool they were using or if it was defective.

Evidently they where not "Trained" on anything having to do with Policing. God thing they cut back giving surplus Military Gear to Police Departments. If this bunch of buffoons had a Field Artillery Piece, they would have likely just shelled the Neighborhood or called in an Air Strike. Its mind boggling and inconceivable.

These incidents are exactly why Police are becoming to be viewed as "The Enemy" and not a solution to anything.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:25 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
And to me, this is what it's all about. The police have their own 'police cops' who should thoroughly investigate this. Methinks all is not well in the Joplin cop shop. Absent some cop internal affairs investigation, with a public report of same, it's time for the state and feds to step in. Let's follow the chain-of-command and keep the worthless DOJ out.

El Nox

The biggest problem is that Police can not be trusted to do their own Investigations, and don't get the same Justice you or I would get. They need to be a lot harder on those who violate Policy or Rights, and sentence them as they would any other Criminal. And those that say nothing, but know of wrong doing, should be prosecuted equally hard.

If they keep getting these bad reports time and time again, it will be safer to be a Soldier in Syria than a Cop here. More and more Cops are going to be ambushed by fed up people losing their cool.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
A thug gang in Joplin, MO.

El Nox
WTF? If you're going to have a gang, at least call it something cool rather than something that sounds like a racist high school sports team.

"And it's the Joplin Honkies for the win in the last minutes of the quarter!"

Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM

389 posts, read 330,049 times
Why didn't they just keep waiting instead of destroying someone's home? Change of shift? Lunch time?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

And if you, the homeowner, protest? You can be shot dead, and the magic phrases "I thought he had a gun!" or "I feared for my life!" are the killing officer's get-out-of-jail-free card.
Are you a black lives matter spokesman?

There is way too much anti-LEO crap being posted on CD. The cops received a bad tip, but responded appropriately. (Although the Christmas Tree was over the top and that was inappropriate)

All of you putting every cop under the microscope will soon find police that do no act and you might be the next victim because a cop wasn't there to save your a$$

Be very careful what you wish for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events