Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And in some other schools, like ours, if one person can't afford an activity, the activity is scrapped. Not fair to everyone else but no one seems to care.
Why would you let that stand yet argue so forcefully in favor of Santa? It's not hard to set up a student activities fund.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And in some other schools, like ours, if one person can't afford an activity, the activity is scrapped. Not fair to everyone else but no one seems to care.
If only the outraged Christians would be...... Christian-like and be charitable. Oh, wait.

Majority would rather blame the poor kid.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That wasn't the point though. The point was you can't assume this one kid "probably" wanted to go.

I understand your assertion about picking your battles but it does sound to me like the woman had a point, and the school was not executing it's Christmas activities in an way that took into account that not everyone celebrates Christmas.
Ok, what's the point? If you are telling me the child is forced to go and he/she didn't want to, I get that....it is not a new practice that the school surprised on the parents, it has been done for a number of years....is it an entitlement point of "I don't want to do this so I will stamp my foot and ruin it for everyone else", is that the point you are defending? How about the parent calling the teacher and explaining that her family doesn't celebrate Christmas and she doesn't want to send her kid....do u really think the school would have an issue with that?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
So they cancel a trip that many kids were looking forward to because of ONE parent that got all bunged up about it. I'm wondering if the parent had been any religion other than the "protected" ones if her being offended would have gone noticed and catered to.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:37 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Ok, what's the point? If you are telling me the child is forced to go and he/she didn't want to, I get that....it is not a new practice that the school surprised on the parents, it has been done for a number of years....is it an entitlement point of "I don't want to do this so I will stamp my foot and ruin it for everyone else", is that the point you are defending? How about the parent calling the teacher and explaining that her family doesn't celebrate Christmas and she doesn't want to send her kid....do u really think the school would have an issue with that?
Because that amounts to discrimination - excluding a non-Christian child because of their religious beliefs. Last time I checked, that was against the Constitution.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I'm baffled why so many people seem to feel that a reasonable solution in public education is for some kids to voluntarily exclude themselves or be bullied into going along with the crowd. Public education is for everybody, not just the precious ones who want it all to themselves.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Because that amounts to discrimination - excluding a non-Christian child because of their religious beliefs. Last time I checked, that was against the Constitution.
YOU ARE WRONG....show me where the teacher said that non Christian children couldn't go....show me anywhere where a religion was mentioned....it was the MOTHER that didn't want the child to go

Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Whatever. It's been known for a while what the standard is for a public school lest they leave themselves open to law suits. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

If they wanted to have a field trip to Santa they needed to figure out a way to cover multiple religions so that the trip doesn't elevate one religion over the others. The parents seemed to have worked something out, my point is THE SCHOOL could have done the same or similar thing and implemented it ahead of time. It was only a matter of time before it became an issue.
It SHOULDN'T have became an issue in the first place. Since when does ONE persons kvetching put a stop to what the majority wants to do ?

Also, maybe this school is taking a stand against PC bull**** by continueing it's traditions. It's too bad they have no spine and kowtowed to this whiny *****.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
YOU ARE WRONG....show me where the teacher said that non Christian children couldn't go....show me anywhere where a religion was mentioned....it was the MOTHER that didn't want the child go
Santa = Christmas = Christianity. Any attempt to claim otherwise is ignorant. If the choice is for non-Christian students to participate in a religious-based tradition or voluntarily exclude themselves, that's discrimination.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That wasn't the point though. The point was you can't assume this one kid "probably" wanted to go.

I understand your assertion about picking your battles but it does sound to me like the woman had a point, and the school was not executing it's Christmas activities in an way that took into account that not everyone celebrates Christmas.
Most people in THIS country do and majority rules. I'm sick of this "we must not ever offend anybody of another culture" PC BS. Its been said many times, many ways....MERRY CHRISTMAS ! And if you don't like it, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events