Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times

Advertisements

Do you realize China has 1 billion too many people? Don't weep for them, the world would be a better off place with fewer people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Did anyone see the 'Artist' a few weeks back who had made a solid brick (longer than one of your standard bricks, but just as thick) out of pollution solids? Bejing...

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...04.KnkOZ-q0F0Y

Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The West also went through that phase. As recently as the 1950s tens of thousands died from smog in London. In the USA most people formerly had their own coal burning stoves, older people I've met remember snow being colored black from all the smoke. As the population becomes more affluent people demanding a cleaner environment as a basic right.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:10 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Very true. I was in China 10 years ago....I had no idea. I was amazed at how much fog there was all the time. Then one day I realized.....wait...thats no fog.

Its not that I was stupid, its just that growing up here in Oregon I could not imagine anyone living in pollution that bad. My mind went...could that be pollution?....No no human being would ever knowingly let it get this bad....must be fog.

So its been this way for a long time.
This is what happens when there are no pollution controls.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:23 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The West also went through that phase. As recently as the 1950s tens of thousands died from smog in London. In the USA most people formerly had their own coal burning stoves, older people I've met remember snow being colored black from all the smoke. As the population becomes more affluent people demanding a cleaner environment as a basic right.
Pittsburgh was really bad too. It was to the point where the street lights would come on during the early afternoon.

And south of Pittsburgh, the town of Donora. The town that gave us Stan Musial and Ken Griffey Jr, also had a severe pollution problem. The Donora Smog of 1948. An inversion sat over the town, and many people died from the pollution as a result. Stan Musial's father was among those who died.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Heh.. and I thought them wearing filtration masks from the SARS breakout was scary and looked unusual! Pollution has been the bigger culprit!

Old 12-25-2015, 02:59 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
meth. there is nothing new about this. this is how every developed nation became prosperous. every country goes through these industrial periods on their way to prosperity. japan, england, the united states, you name it.

make no misteak. china is well aware of their environmental problems and they are determined to tacklet these problems gradually without ruining their economy and their historical opportunity to rise as a great power. China's first priority is still its economic prosperity, middle class, and national capability. without prosperity and stability, there is little hope.

to that end, they have loosened their population policy. they will need more population to sustain their economic systems.
having a bigger population is important in the global economy. they have reached the peak of their population bonus, and labor cost might rise sharply in the future without more people.

china will do it on their own terms. their economy will evolve into consumption-based, innovation-driven, and less labor-intensive. by then, it'll naturally clear up the sky. and that's how long it'll take.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:45 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
China, India, Iran to name a few. Schools closed and people told to stay in doors.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
It's a small planet and that crap ends up over here as well. That's my issue. If their people don't stand up and take issue, I feel bad for them, but for the entire globe's sake, China is going to have to wake up and smell the coffee.
Yep, I read a third of LA's smog is a result of pollution from China. It truly is a small world.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:37 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Over 100 million Chinese are being told to stay home. The pm2.5 pollution index is over 700 in some areas, and checking online I can see one city over 1,000 in China

100m warned to stay indoors in China - RTÉ News

This is a truly brutal level of pollution. And China's citizens are going to suffer lifelong issues over it.

India is also having serious issues as well. However in recent years they've made progress.

But China? they are claiming things will be better, however they are opening up more coal fired power plants next year. So while promises are being made, actions are speaking louder.
Are you sure India is making progress? At least China is a dominant economic power, even given its air pollution. India gets what for its filth? Nothing and it's still a dirty third world nation.

Nobody in China is claiming that anything is getting better. China is making huge investments in green energy and trying very hard to balance employment and steadily switching its economy from an manufacturing and industrial based model to one that relies more on consumption. The US and the UK went through a very similar phase in their development; China is just many times more magnified because China is so much more populous.

Transition and change take time and so long as the Chinese need jobs and the world needs all the stuff China produces, this transition will come about gradually. So yes, it'll be very bad for the average Chinese people, especially those living in the major cities. China also has lots of other kinds of pollutions, like soil, water and overall environmental degradation and wild habitat loss etc. China's problems are huge and this is why the country has always been so difficult to govern. But the one thing going for it is its authoritarian system, which, once it sets its mind to something, will make all the hard choices to achieve results. This is something that a noisy democracy like India or even the US cannot do. You can also save me the whiny "human rights violations" complaints but in world history, hard decisions are always necessary.

India doesn't figure in any of this and the only reason there's less news exposure for India is simply because it's not nearly as important as China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events