Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Bedbugs come from immigration?
Overcrowded living quarters makes the problem worse. Americans aren't as likely to live 14 people to a house as illegals are.

Some posters are saying this problem is anywhere and everywhere, but I've really never heard of bed bugs being a big problem up until a few years ago and concentrated mostly in NYC and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Any place can have bedbugs.

Leave your luggage out in the hallway and check:

under the pillows, under the bottom sheet, between the sheets and between the mattress and box spring.

BTW, bedbugs are selective. They might not bite your spouse, but they'll bite you.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Bed bugs are a problem in many cities. DDT was effective in eradicating bed bugs however there
were many valid reasons to ban it, i.e., serious health impacts to humans such as breast and other
cancers, male infertility, miscarriages and lower birth rates & nervous system and liver damage.
The increase of these nasty pests is international travel, higher population density in cities and
the bugs resistance to common pesticides. The best way to get rid of them is to use freezing
(temp of 0) or heating (140 degrees) - kind of difficult if we are speaking of a house, apartment
complex or hotel.

These are the worst U.S. cities for bedbugs - CBS News

Old 01-04-2016, 06:21 AM

25,942 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Bedbugs come from immigration?
No, here they are brought in by illegal aliens who live with 3 or 4 large families in a 2 bedroom. The schools have backpacks that they send home food for the weekends. My guess is that those bags also transport the bedbugs along with the clothing, etc. Our town is smaller and if you can observe towns heavy with illegal aliens, you'll see a trend. We also have a problem with head lice, big problem. Yuck, I can't wait to relocate. We don't even go to the library because you can transport them in library books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
that and globalism(nafta) etc.. they were virtually eradicated in the USA and resurged in the 90's.
Yes. You got it! I'm 61 years old and have moved all over the country since I was 20 years old. It took moving to a city with meat and dog food plants and the illegal aliens they attract for me to get an education about bedbugs and head lice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
How dare you post something that conflicts with the xenophobic and/or racist themes that are so popular in The US nowadays?

Don't you know that none of our problems could possibly be related to US citizens, and that all of our problems are the result of those who immigrate from other countries?

Certainly that must be the case, based on the rants of Darn Old tRump and that Hispanic guy from Canada who goes by the alias of "Ted" Cruz.

If it walks like duck............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Overcrowded living quarters makes the problem worse. Americans aren't as likely to live 14 people to a house as illegals are.

Some posters are saying this problem is anywhere and everywhere, but I've really never heard of bed bugs being a big problem up until a few years ago and concentrated mostly in NYC and LA.
Well, the only thing I disagree with, and it could be location specific, is 14 people to a house. Seems a little on the low side and sounds like just one couple and their anchor babies. Here 3 to 4 families live together, 6 to 8 cars on the curb. Because they can't feed their families, backpacks with food in (begged from the residents) are handed out for the weekend so they'll have something to eat, then the bags go back to the school and I suspect they are contaminated with at least bedbugs. Lice are a real problem here. Cannot wait to relocate.

They also brought in Somali refugees in 2007. But, I am sure just some American traveler contaminated the town with bedbugs. Not a lot of world travelers in small towns.

Mattresses are manufactured in the US, all that I have seen.

This is all a part of descending into third world conditions. That is indeed related to "Current Events".

Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,362,327 times
Quote:
Still? How long does it take to get rid of these things. I've been reading about bed bugs in NYC hotels for maybe 4 years now.
I've been hearing about mosquitoes since I was born ..... 63 years now .... we still got em.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:18 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
When we travel the first thing we do upon entering the room is strip the bed and look under the mattress.

We also consult the bed bug registry online before we even make a reservation and avoid any hotel that even has one report of bed bugs in the past.

We keep luggage off the floor and away from walls - will have to consider putting it in the bathtub going forward.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
The big problem with NYC today is that, the city has become very transient. What I mean is that people come in and out of the city like never before. A generation ago people avoided the city all together. Areas such as the Bronx and BRooklyn were no go places for majority of Americans when they came to NYC. BRooklyn now today is very hip where suburban kids after college want to move to, and even the Bronx is getting looked at by some. If NYC was not very transient, the city would not have this bedbug problem or infestation. Also Bedbugs is one problem. NYC also has a nasty rat infestation as well. Areas of the city with lots of transients seem to get the bulk of the rodents and pests.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
For some reason I think this is a staged event or a hoax. My spidey senses are tingling.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Yes, any place can have bed bugs, but I would hope a decent hotel would be vigilant enough to discover an infestation before it became severe and would have an established relationship with a good extermination company. Especially in NYC.
Guests coming and going regularly. A room which had been treated and had a happy guest one night can have someone at the front desk screaming about bed bugs the next night.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post

You're more likely to find them in major cities, which makes sense because there are more people living there, higher density, more visitors, etc. But bedbugs can truly be found anywhere. They can travel with people on planes and trains (and also be found in planes and trains), get into/come from people's homes and on their clothes, and be found in college dorms. Hotels anywhere have had and could have bedbugs at any given time. A place like Hershey, PA or Disney World or Land, and any other large, popular amusement or water park area can also be culprits despite their rather small populations. Also hotels off of major highways, where many people will stop off for the night. Places that see a lot of tourism are most likely to be affected because many people from many places are in and out.

People probably think the problem is confined to major cities because that's where the most stories and complaints come out of, as many, many people live in and visit cities, especially major ones. But bedbugs can and do get anywhere nowadays. Even movie theaters, rental cars, etc. It's kind of scary when you think about it. So I try not to.

I know a teacher in Harrison, NJ (rather rough city in the very dense, immigrant heavy Hudson County). She teaches elementary school and some of her students have infestations in their homes, they come in with bites and even drag stragglers into the classroom. They've found bedbugs here and there in the classroom, likely transported on kids' backpacks and clothes. They're very vigilant about it because no one wants to bring them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events