Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:02 PM

339 posts, read 664,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It's def scary to think you'd sleep on a matress like that. But what's even worse is if you bring them home with you. Just a couple tips.

DO NOT put your luggage on your bed at anytime! Bugs can crawl in your luggage and take a trip home with you. I'd even avoid putting clothes on your bed.

When I travel I keep my luggage in the bathroom sometimes even in the bath tub. I always check the bed before and I also sometimes move the bed away from the head board so that if any are behind the head board it will be harder to get to me. People always say I'm paranoid. Well I'd rather be paranoid in doing a few things than bring them home with me.
What about water bugs? Roaches that travel through the pipes? I would be concerned about putting my luggage in a tub without cleaning it myself first- with bleach. Then I'd worry about what critters could come up through the drain. I supposed closing the drain would be helpful but not sure.

How would putting bags up high and away from mattress prevent bed bugs? Don't they hide out in furniture? If they're on the mattress they are likely on whatever furniture is up high, no?

I ask because in our pursuit to relocate I may need to stay in a hotel while looking for a place to live. What is the best way to avoid bed bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
What about water bugs? Roaches that travel through the pipes? I would be concerned about putting my luggage in a tub without cleaning it myself first- with bleach. Then I'd worry about what critters could come up through the drain. I supposed closing the drain would be helpful but not sure.

How would putting bags up high and away from mattress prevent bed bugs? Don't they hide out in furniture? If they're on the mattress they are likely on whatever furniture is up high, no?

I ask because in our pursuit to relocate I may need to stay in a hotel while looking for a place to live. What is the best way to avoid bed bugs?
At least in America, bugs coming up from a bathtub drain are fairly unlikely to cause the bites that bedbugs cause.

You can't eliminate risks 100%, but bedbugs are a big problem.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM

339 posts, read 664,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
At least in America, bugs coming up from a bathtub drain are fairly unlikely to cause the bites that bedbugs cause.

You can't eliminate risks 100%, but bedbugs are a big problem.
I didn't think bed bugs came from drains, rather I was referring to other bugs that could be found in a bathtub. Spiders, cockroaches, water bugs, to name a few. I was just pondering aloud if the trade off is worth it. Putting your belongings in a bathtub that could have equally annoying critters. Not sure if I have a valid concern, but putting the thought out there to discuss

Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
my girlfriend found one on our bed in NY a couple years ago. I went to show it to the owner and demanded my money back, but he refused unless I turned over the bedbug to him.

I refused and cancelled payment on the credit card.

Last edited by uggabugga; 01-04-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
I didn't think bed bugs came from drains, rather I was referring to other bugs that could be found in a bathtub. Spiders, cockroaches, water bugs, to name a few. I was just pondering aloud if the trade off is worth it. Putting your belongings in a bathtub that could have equally annoying critters. Not sure if I have a valid concern, but putting the thought out there to discuss
At least the ones coming out of the drain can be eliminated with a can of raid.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Still? How long does it take to get rid of these things. I've been reading about bed bugs in NYC hotels for maybe 4 years now.
Is this hotel in the video the Waldorf Astoria ? That is the hotel that had the bedbugs a few years back and that is probably more than $400 a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. There are treatments that do not involve chemicals that are actually more effective at battling the issue.

2. There are a number of websites that track bedbugs reports in hotels. I always check them before making a reservation.
My kids think I am paranoid but I always check the bedbug registry before we go anywhere overnight and then I am still nervous. Someone wrote that they were in some of the bigger, nicest hotels at DisneyWorld and that is a fact. It was very bad for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
that and globalism(nafta) etc.. they were virtually eradicated in the USA and resurged in the 90's.
Another fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
DDT is not exactly healthy to humans!
DDT is deadly to humans and wildlife. That is why it was banned and rightly so......

I'm starting to scratch......

Old 01-04-2016, 03:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Quote:

I would take roaches 365 days a year versus bed bugs. Roaches are a lot easier to get rid. Not only that bug the stigma that comes from bed bugs is a lot worse than roaches. Most people have had roaches in their home at one point or another. There is even a saying that every house has them but if you see them you have an infestation.

To answer your question about bed bugs being in furniture. Bed bugs go after humans. That is how they feed. If you put your luggage up high chances are you might be safe if it's away from your bed/sleeping area.

They also sell bed bug proof bags that you put your suitcases in and zip up. Might want to look into that.

But I'll say again. Please know that bed bugs are 100% worse than roaches.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:44 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
my girlfriend found one on our bed in NY a couple years ago. I went to show it to the owner and demanded my money back, but he refused unless I turned over the bedbug to him.

I refused and cancelled payment on the credit card.
The owner probably was being a a** hole but he also probably has a valid case. Some people don't even know what a bed bug looks like. So if they saw a small spider crawling and got away they might think it's a bed bug.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
0 seems kind of high to really kill the bugs.
The lower the temperature plus the amount of hours/days:
https://www.terminix.com/bed-bug-con...self/freezing/

Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You guys know luxury/expensive hotels get bed bugs too, right? Yeah, maybe a dumpy place is less likely to take care of the problem, but bedbugs don't know the difference between wealthy travelers and poor ones. People with money, and thereby staying at more expensive places, are more likely to travel internationally and bring them back to the US and/or more likely to travel more, being more likely to encounter them in the first place.

Besides, if you come to NYC, all you need to do is sit on the train next to someone with them on their clothing or get in a taxi right after someone else with them gets out and then you might be able to pick up a critter or two yourself.

Plenty of stories about that. But you are more than welcome to spend money at the Ritz-Carlton, which also had bedbugs.
Of course. But I've never seen any, ever, at one single hotel that I have stayed in. And I've traveled a lot.
But I probably research hotels more than most people. I am pretty picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events