Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:47 PM

16,670 posts, read 8,667,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This all went down in DFW, and I'm in DFW. I don't know anyone here who has a shred of sympathy for Ethan Couch or his mother. I don't know a single person here who isn't outraged by the "affluenza" defense or who doesn't think that kid should be rotting in prison.

So what have you locals done about the scumbag attorney who came up with that absurd defense?
Has he been run out of town yet?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,518,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well the other thing with the affluenzna verdict was that this kid was able to get into a big name rehab center while most people cannot and instead sit in jail for similar situations. That is why the money even if only an image mattered, especially in this case.
Yes, totally get that. I'm not speaking so much about this thread, but things I have read from folks in other areas assuming these are wildly wealthy people.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,305,187 times
Default How can someone have negative $99 billion in the bank??

Tonya Couch's posts bond and is set to be released | Daily Mail Online

The "Affluenza" teen's mom is said to have -$99 billion in the bank.

Excuse me, how is this possible?

The only source of that information was a statement made in court by her oldest son. He said it twice, with no emotion. Seems like such a wealthy kid has no concept of what a large number 1 billion is, let alone 99 billion!

What is going on here?

Last edited by Zelpha; 01-14-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,087,867 times
I guess if her bank accounts were frozen it could be a computer glitch in how the amount is displayed. Speculation on my part.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

This thing is viral and at this point is a joke. There are people killing others EVERY single day on our roadways. Some jerk around my town just killed someone in a crosswalk and the person hit was in a wheelchair! What happened to the driver that killed the guy? NOTHING! Some other guy hit a cyclist that was on the shoulder trying to train for an MS charity ride and killed him. What happened to that teen driver? NOTHING! Not even community service! These stories are DAILY because we are all about cars/speeding around. People want this kid hung because he is rich, nothing more. What about all the other drivers killing people? No one cares, because they didn't go viral and are rich. Whatever!
This is actually all true.
I think this Couch kid is an embarrassment to human life, but I've also worked in multiple trauma centers and watched TONS of drunk drivers walk away free after ruining and destroying lives.
I've seen cops drop people off and just leave them there and say, "Eh, we'll just get a warrant for them later." "But officer, he killed people." "Eh, the DA probably won't bother." These are usually middle class or poor folks.

Over and over and over.

This case got press bc of the outlandish defense tactics.
Not because it was really any different than what goes on every single day in this country.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,156,564 times
More news and editorials:

Ragland: If only Ethan Couch's parents had been this tough

Affluenza teen's parents had problems too | Belleville News-Democrat

What Happened to Ethan Couch - Affluenza Teen 2016 Update - The Gazette Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events