Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM

120 posts, read 119,164 times

Advertisements

I know in Georgia you cannot remain anonymous, but they are working on taxing us even more if we choose to remain anonymous. Better way is to claim the winnings as an entity or LLC or something to hide if you really care that much.

I know I will never win the lottery but will be due at some point to inherit stock and property worth a lot of money, and can't wait to see the headache that comes along with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:50 PM

812 posts, read 736,495 times
When I was a kid, an older guy on our street won 44 million. Managed it well at first, his only big expense was a pontoon boat. Stayed in the same house, helped his kids a little, but nothing crazy. Eventually took some bad investment advice and lost all of it in the stock market. Why? Guy was in his 60s or 70s, took the lump sum and after taxes still had more then enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life. Very sad.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:18 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Not usually. It depends on your state. I live in Kansas and we can remain anonymous. In states where you cannot remain anonymous, I am guessing when you buy a ticket you are giving your implied consent to have your name publicized.
Even if you can't remain completely anonymous, there legal ways to shield your identity. Rent an apt in the largest city in the state and change your legal address to the apt. Then file a legal name change through the court to something super generic, like Mark Smith. Update your drivers license and SSN with the new name. Then go cash in your lottery ticket. Good luck trying to track down Mark Smith from Memphis.

If you really want to cover your tracks so it's harder to search for court records of the name change, move to a large city outside of your state to do the name change. Then move back and establish legal residence with the new name in the largest city in the state to cash in the ticket. All of this can be done in a couple of months. When you have the money, you can go through the process to change your name back to your original, if you want to, at your new address in Maui. Future lottery winners of America, you are welcome.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
We won $100 in another state the year they started that lottery. Never bought another ticket up there because we believed we'd never win twice.

In my present location, I've won $6.00 off a scratch off someone gave me at Christmas time! It paid for a paperback book I'd bought for a class.

I feel like I win every time they pick numbers. At least I win the money I could have spent on a ticket! I know it would make life easier. But I guess I value the money we make ourselves more than something given for nothing or very little. And I'd sure want to remain anonymous because I'd be too willing to help too many people.

Daughter won $100 on a scratch off, which was good because she was supporting herself as a college student at the time. Went for gas and rent.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,020,088 times
Not long ago a middle aged couple here in Yucaipa won over 100 million dollars. They bought a 7 mil dollar home in oak glen (above Yucaipa in the mountains) & gave money to their church & church members (each member received 25.00). I saw the couple at the grocery store last year bragging about their win fall & what they plans to do with the money. The couple is not shy.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:47 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Even if you can't remain completely anonymous, there legal ways to shield your identity. Rent an apt in the largest city in the state and change your legal address to the apt. Then file a legal name change through the court to something super generic, like Mark Smith. Update your drivers license and SSN with the new name. Then go cash in your lottery ticket. Good luck trying to track down Mark Smith from Memphis.

If you really want to cover your tracks so it's harder to search for court records of the name change, move to a large city outside of your state to do the name change. Then move back and establish legal residence with the new name in the largest city in the state to cash in the ticket. All of this can be done in a couple of months. When you have the money, you can go through the process to change your name back to your original, if you want to, at your new address in Maui. Future lottery winners of America, you are welcome.
Sounds too hard. I no longer have any interest in winning $1.5 billion.

Mick

Old 01-20-2016, 04:52 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahut2000 View Post
I know in Georgia you cannot remain anonymous, but they are working on taxing us even more if we choose to remain anonymous. Better way is to claim the winnings as an entity or LLC or something to hide if you really care that much.
Lottery rules usually require you to disclose the beneficial owners (beneficiaries) of an LLC, trusts, etc. People have tried . . . and failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahut2000 View Post
I know I will never win the lottery but will be due at some point to inherit stock and property worth a lot of money, and can't wait to see the headache that comes along with that.
I can relieve you of that headache. It's not going to be easy for me, but I am willing to sacrifice for you. Whoever you are.

Mick

Old 01-13-2018, 06:44 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Lottery rules usually require you to disclose the beneficial owners (beneficiaries) of an LLC, trusts, etc. People have tried . . . and failed.

Mick
Powerball - Stories
Here is a list of winners, notice how many are essentially anonymous!

Anonymous
Delaware

Tennessee 20
Tennessee

Robin Egg 2016 Nominee Trust
New Hampshire

Smith Family Lottery Pool
New Jersey

The Nickel 95 Trust
Florida

Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
I went to school with a girl whose father won the big lottery twice, this was back in the 80s, their family already owned a chain of body shops, so they were fairly well off, but he won $7 million, and then about 3 years later, won another $3 million lotto.

They did the smart thing, he put the money into his existing business and his entire family is extremely well off today because of it. They did do a little splurging, His daughter lisa drove a brand new mercedes in high school.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,731 times
When I worked in a bank, we had a loan applicant whose sole source of income was the $20,000 for life he received through some lottery winnings. He seemed to be living a fairly ordinary life, with a middle-class suburban home, nothing too fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events