Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the authority who certified that "pet" to be a therapy animal needs to be investigated. Buy it a seat? How about you charter a private flight. I recently heard of a pig being ejected. I'd say that's discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

Under Title II and III of the ADA, service animals are limited to dogs. However, entities must make reasonable modifications in policies to allow individuals with disabilities to use miniature horses if they have been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for individuals with disabilities.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet
The biggest problem is that companies don't train their employees on ADA rules and what you can/can't do with a service animal.

I have a friend with a guide dog and there have been multiple times when I was in the hospital and they came to visit. I would always let the staff know they were coming just to be courteous, I don't have to do this.

EVERYTHING SINGLE TIME I got the same response "I'll have to ask my supervisor if that's okay".

I think the reason it's gotten so out of control is because anyone can buy a "support vest" and put it on their pet.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Anyone else see this? Someone brought their turkey along for the ride and the airline let them.

Flying turkey ruffles feathers about 'emotional support' animals on planes | Fox News

"We're talkin' turkey, as in that big Thanksgiving bird, one of which recently was spotted aboard a Delta flight acting as a "support animal," and that's causing a flap over how passengers are using, and abusing, comfort animal rules."

I joke about getting papers for my dog. I may just have to do it one day.
Be glad it wasn't a cow....

Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
At least my emotional support grasshopper doesn't require me to buy an extra seat!
My support monkey had to pay for MY seat

Old 01-16-2016, 11:57 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
What you CAN ask is:

1. What tasks or functions does your animal perform for you?

2. What has your animal been trained to do for you?

3. Would you describe how the animal performs this task for you?

If they can't answer these questions, then you don't have to deal with them. There's usually paperwork associated with the service/support animal, too, so you can ask for that as well. If they have a fake service/support animal, they aren't likely to take you to court in any case since they'd then be under scrutiny themselves.

I've heard this is being abused to the extent that they may make some fairly ferocious fines for fake service/support animals.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Actually, no - you can't ask to see paperwork. In fact, you can be sued for that. You can only ask "Is this a service animal?" and "What task is it trained to perform?" That's it. Those are the only two questions you can ask, and asking those two questions is all you are allowed to do. You can not request any documentation at all.

Which is exactly why this sort of thing has gotten so ridiculously out of control. There is no good reason disabled people shouldn't have to provide documentation showing that they are required to have a service animal. My wife is permanently and severely disabled, and we have a handicapped parking placard we use when I'm taking her somewhere. We were required to have her doctor fill out a form affirming that she is disabled and cannot walk more than a certain number off feet without assistance, and we had no problem doing that. We were glad to do it because it made perfect sense, and requiring the same of people who need service animals makes perfect sense as well, for the same reason.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:17 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default want gas? get a bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
That's what I was wondering about. You can't control where a turkey poops.
the poop/methane/urine gas produced....you will get outta there fast. I had a banty baby inside a bedroom during a cold snap and opening the door three hours later, a big room, almost killed me. hey: Turkey diapers. No, that wouldn't work in a confined space like an aircraft.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:36 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Told the wife, that if I was on a plane and sitting next to a turkey or pig, they'd prob need to arrest me as I would not be happy.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:46 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I agree. I am all for seeing eye dogs and other service animals for PHYSICALLY disabled people. Mental issues not so much. BTW- I don't know if a "Pony" is necessary when a smaller dog could do the same job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
OT - the reason miniature horses are being used more and more frequently as service animals is that they have a much longer potential working life than dogs do. Most dogs die in their early teens, while horses can live to be over 30.
Blind Muslims use horses rather than dogs, too.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:20 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Actually, no - you can't ask to see paperwork. In fact, you can be sued for that. You can only ask "Is this a service animal?" and "What task is it trained to perform?" That's it. Those are the only two questions you can ask, and asking those two questions is all you are allowed to do. You can not request any documentation at all.

Which is exactly why this sort of thing has gotten so ridiculously out of control. There is no good reason disabled people shouldn't have to provide documentation showing that they are required to have a service animal. My wife is permanently and severely disabled, and we have a handicapped parking placard we use when I'm taking her somewhere. We were required to have her doctor fill out a form affirming that she is disabled and cannot walk more than a certain number off feet without assistance, and we had no problem doing that. We were glad to do it because it made perfect sense, and requiring the same of people who need service animals makes perfect sense as well, for the same reason.
That's not 100% true, and the exception is specifically about air travel.

Quote:
Air Travel

The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) requires airlines to allow service animals and emotional support animals to accompany their handlers in the cabin of the aircraft.

Service animals – For evidence that an animal is a service animal, air carriers may ask to see identification cards, written documentation, presence of harnesses or tags, or ask for verbal assurances from the individual with a disability using the animal. If airline personnel are uncertain that an animal is a service animal, they may ask one of the following:

1. What tasks or functions does your animal perform for you?

2. What has your animal been trained to do for you?

3. Would you describe how the animal performs this task for you?
Also there are possible legal complications with lying about your animal being a service animal, but rarely does it escalate to that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events