Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,514,565 times

Advertisements

I don't have a car, but I know it's illegal for car owners to leave their cars idling in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,895,624 times
Haha, years ago I came out of a store and a cop was writing me a ticket for leaving my car running unattended. I asked him what he was doing, and he said it was illegal to not be in the car while the motor was running. I showed him the keys were still in my pocket, and he said "I can hear the motor running !" Then I explained to him that was simply the automatic cooling fan that comes on when it senses the engine temperature rising !

He walked away all dejected...........Barney Fife is alive and well !!

Don

Old 01-16-2016, 09:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
In Colorado, the law applies only on public property, not your driveway, and only if the key is actually in the ignition. Remote starts are permitted, because anti-theft technology prevents a thief from driving off without the key. And it's called the Puffer Law.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-16-2016 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-16-2016, 11:39 AM

17,661 posts, read 13,451,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
In some jurisdictions it is illegal to leave a running car unattended.

A quick Google search will tell you it's illegal in Texas, Ohio, West Virginia, Minneapolis/St. Paul, etc.
I have LEOs living next to our home. Started cars for years (we have no basement and can't use the garage for our cars) I know that someday we might be ticketed

To me it is REVENUE ENHANCEMENT for the communities

Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,136,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In Colorado, the law applies only on public property, not your driveway, and only if the key is actually in the ignition. Remote starts are permitted, because anti-theft technology prevents a thief from driving off without the key. And it's called the Puffer Law.
Read the law. There is no exemption in the law for private property or remote starts. You can be ticketed for leaving your car running in your driveway, especially in the Denver metro area. The law is less for theft and more for anti-pollution purposes.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,290,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Read the law. There is no exemption in the law for private property or remote starts. You can be ticketed for leaving your car running in your driveway, especially in the Denver metro area. The law is less for theft and more for anti-pollution purposes.
Ah I see.
When someone's in the vehicle, it doesn't pollute the environment.
It's only when they are idling empty.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,409,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The law has been clarified during the last couple of years. A variety of news agencies, including 9News, have reported that remote start is legal, because the key is not in the ignition. It's a gray area until the wording in the law is changed, but typically, you're safe with a remote start. That said, it's certainly possible that an LEO with a mean streak and a quota could issue a citation, but you'd have a fighting chance if you were willing to see it through.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 PM

725 posts, read 807,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The law has been clarified during the last couple of years. A variety of news agencies, including 9News, have reported that remote start is legal, because the key is not in the ignition. It's a gray area until the wording in the law is changed, but typically, you're safe with a remote start. That said, it's certainly possible that an LEO with a mean streak and a quota could issue a citation, but you'd have a fighting chance if you were willing to see it through.
And under such circumstances in addition to contesting it in court it would be wise to file a complaint with internal affairs for the cop issuing a false ticket.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,132,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So when it starts to do damage to your car because it's not good to start a cold engine & over time it will do just that. Send the bill to the city. Overall it sounds like a law that they didn't don't want people to know about. A warning would of been more then fine.
I agree that people who have older cars (1970s and older) should be able to warm up their engines. But how many people are really going to run into this people? Most people have modern cars...

Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,132,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Ah I see.
When someone's in the vehicle, it doesn't pollute the environment.
It's only when they are idling empty.
Your post makes no sense....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events