Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

Did imagining how that wiped the smile off a poor kid's face make his day?

Cheap SOB.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:03 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Why is it so hard for others to understand how doing this is rude. It's just as rude and annoying as someone trying to give you a flyer while you're walking down the street or when they stick a flyer under your wiper blade.

I've said it before but I'm not at all convinced that these methods work. I don't see the point.

If someone wants "heaven points" sign up with a local ministry and help out those disadvantaged in your community. These tracts seem like the lazy way out.
I agree. This is just a broke kid working hard to try to pay off a car..if you read the article, he was so excited when he saw the $20 bill, precisely because they don't generally get tips like that...he thought it was his lucky day, then he found it to be a fake.

This isn't mean just because the kid didn't get a tip...it's because he is a part-time min wage worker who was teased with a tip equivalent probably to 3 hours work, and it made him happy, then it got yanked away by some jerk who makes more money than that kid more than likely yet taunts him that his tract is more valuable than money. It's just a jerky thing to do. Just leave the tract, don't make it look like a $20, it's rotten and IMO would do the opposite of bringing people to God.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Christian or not, it's a very low class move by the diner.
Agree 100%. A fake tip is as low as it can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
This is a boon for cheapskates. Talk about a perfect excuse. "Oh, I was just doing the Lord's work." lol
These folks probably did more to turn this server off of organized religion than anything.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:01 PM

10,706 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Unless the law has changed recently, wages for people who make tips are allowed to be under the state minimum wage, precisely because tips are considered to be part of that wage. And there is a minimum amount that you have to declare as receiving for tips, so no, you can't under report your wages to be practically nothing. You could, in fact, have a bad night and end up getting less in tips than what you have to report as income.
Yes, tipped employees can be paid a wage that is less than the minimum. However, if the employee doesn't make enough in tips to bring them up to at least minimum wage, the employer is required to pay the amount necessary to bring them to minimum wage.

Stiffing a wait person on a tip doesn't ever mean that they will get less than minimum wage.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just because it serves burgers doesn't make it fast food. The kid's title was very specifically "server" , and table service server implies tip is expected.

The only person claiming this title is the kid himself - I've not been able to find any evidence of this anywhere other than his own claim - and like I said (and supplied links to support my theory), this looks COMPLETELY like nothing more than a typical fast food burger joint, where you place your order at the counter and then clean up your own totally disposable stuff afterwards (except don't throw the plastic baskets away - big discussion on that on one of the links I provided).

Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
At a place like Wendy's, no, I won't tip. But there are situtations like the Chinese buffet, where you don't have a server, per se, but someone does bring you a drink and takes away the dirty plates. I'll tip a buck or two for that--not 20%, but something to acknowledge the service.
Right - I agree. Based on the links I provided to the restaurant itself, it doesn't seem to be anything more than a typical fast food burger joint.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:13 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The only person claiming this title is the kid himself - I've not been able to find any evidence of this anywhere other than his own claim - and like I said (and supplied links to support my theory), this looks COMPLETELY like nothing more than a typical fast food burger joint, where you place your order at the counter and then clean up your own totally disposable stuff afterwards (except don't throw the plastic baskets away - big discussion on that on one of the links I provided).
It doesn't matter...he isn't griping because he didn't get a tip, he is griping because this guy played a mean trick on him regardless of what his intentions were. He's a kid trying to pay for a car and working while in school, to me that man needs to go pick on someone his own age, JMO. I don't care what his intentions were, the Road to Hell being paved with those and all that...

My opinion is, the guy leaves a bible tract tip but not one disguised as a $20 bill, and we would have never heard of it because the kid wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:26 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Yes, tipped employees can be paid a wage that is less than the minimum. However, if the employee doesn't make enough in tips to bring them up to at least minimum wage, the employer is required to pay the amount necessary to bring them to minimum wage.

Stiffing a wait person on a tip doesn't ever mean that they will get less than minimum wage.
re: the bolded part

They may be so required, but I doubt you'll ever see an employer do it!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This patron is cheap. If he was really behaving in a Christian way he would have left some money with that message masquerading as a $20.

Kansas waiter's $20 tip was actually a Bible pamphlet | www.ajc.com
I think it's funny, if not downright clever.

Quote:
Wayman, who works at Mulvane DK, a burger joint in Mulvane, Kansas, works many days a week to pay off $7,000 owed on his car.
The kid's only 17 years.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
re: the bolded part

They may be so required, but I doubt you'll ever see an employer do it!
The only employers you won't see do it are maybe the out of the way mom and pop places who's employees might not be educated enough. Corporate restaurants are all over their servers to properly report their tips. I know, I lived it. However there's a reason servers are servers and not behind a counter at a quick service joint. Servers do better than minimum wage, most of them can at least double it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events