Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Patron pays restaurant, restaurant pays waiter. As long as the patron paid the food bill no theft happened.

That being said, it is a custom to leave something extra to fill in the gap made buy the horrible pay the servers get. The patron was tacky and sleazy.
Agreed. The USA tipping situation is a whole other subject, but I wonder how many (especially those who would dare leave a religious tract in lieu of a tip) are aware that many waitstaff don't get anywhere close to minimum wage and the tips left ARE their income.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 AM

109 posts, read 209,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This patron is cheap. If he was really behaving in a Christian way he would have left some money with that message masquerading as a $20.

Kansas waiter's $20 tip was actually a Bible pamphlet | www.ajc.com
Without question, you are correct. If this person was not doing this in a selfish/rude/inconsiderate/cruel manner, then, they're likely just a cheap moron who used this as a way to avoid giving a monetary tip. Either way, in my opinion, people like this are typically selfish, greedy, inconsiderate, self-righteous jackasses.

I'm curious what people like this would say if someone were to ask them how well a waiter would do financially if every one of their customers tipped the same thing as them? And since that would mean that the server would make zero dollars in tips, they would probably make the minimum-allowed $2.13/hr that comes with many/most tipped serving positions, which, in a 40-hour work week, would mean that they would realistically work full-time and make less than $80 per week after taxes. And since this would be the case, if every customer tipped a pamphlet with a Bible verse on it and no money, they, why is it appropriate for them to leave this as a tip?

This person should be ashamed of his/herself; but, as seems to be the case with many self-righteous religious people, they probably are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
On our first date, wife told me one of the reasons she fell in love with me is I was a good tipper. Said if I didn't leave a nice tip, she would have never went out with me again.
I really like your wife! And I really like you, too, for tipping well! You seem to have a good woman there. And I would think that she is likely a good person with a kind heart and high moral character. I am the exact same way, in that I put high value on how generous a person is to others, including, especially, how much they tip on a meal/drink/haircut, etc. I am actually somewhat obsessed with it and I likely think about it too much and put too much emotion and importance on it; but, the principle is important to me and I do not hide this and I stand by it. And if I were on a date with someone and (in the rare instance where this would happen) the female paid for the meal and left a generous tip, it would certainly leave a major impression on me and would most definitely endear them to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I go out with 2 or 3 girlfriends for brunch a few times a year. It's practically the only time we get to be together so we spend a long time catching up over our food. I always at least double my tip because the waitress has lost business at this table because we've been hogging it too long. The most wealthy gal who comes leaves the smallest tip, making sure not to go over whatever percent she determines. I always feel embarrassed.

If I ever left any information of any sort, I would still leave $ with it. Waitresses and servers are on their feet a lot and I appreciate their service. I know they don't get paid a huge hourly wage.
I want to qualify this post by saying that I really like and respect that you try to go out of your way to be extra generous, since you are affecting the money that your server is likely to make in this situation. I am (or, at least, try to be) a person of principle, and there are some things that I just will not tolerate. I love, admire and respect compassion, kindness and generosity; and I despise selfishness, self-importance and greed; especially, when it comes to wealthy people who are cheap/selfish/greedy and could easily afford to be more generous.

I am not exaggerating when I say this, but if I had a friend or family member like that, who deliberately tipped relatively poorly, despite being wealthy (particularly, more well-off than myself), I would literally not go out to eat or hang out with them again. Now, I will admit that I used to be very passive and I often let people take advantage of and impose on me, and I used to be too embarrassed to speak up or do anything about things like this; but I have now come around to a point where I am not nearly as easily-forgiving or as passive as I used to be, and I will readily lose friendships over principles that most people would not find to be so important. I guess I just came to a belief and acceptance that I don't need friends (or family members to be around) enough to try to be friends with anyone who is not a good person in my eyes. I would rather not have friends, than to have cheap/selfish/greedy friends whom I dislike/despise.

FYI, I am not saying that you need to stop being friends with this woman/cheap *****; I am just venting a little and sharing my often-jaded opinion with you. However, if it would not make for a problem or an awkward situation, I would try to somehow point out or bring attention to how nice and thoughtful it is to be a little extra generous to someone who is working a hard and often-thankless job in a tipping-industry and how your simple gesture (of tipping a few extra dollars) might really make a difference to someone.

In summation, I love good, kind, generous people and I hate selfish, cheap, greedy people. And, hopefully, karma is real!

Edit: After originally posting this, there was a thread listed at the bottom of the page that caught my attention. And I don't know if your friend is wealthy like the guy in this article, but, for me, this is what I want wealthy people to be like with their money: https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...ip-waiter.html

By the way, if anyone reads the article I linked about the customer who paid for the waiter's dental surgery, look at the picture of them. The rich attorney who wanted to pay for the surgery looks like he's legitimately happy to be able to do something nice for someone who could use to help and the waiter looks like he's a humble guy who is truly grateful for this guy's kindness and generosity. That's the way it should work, people!!

Last edited by BillyJackAz; 01-19-2016 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: To add link to inspiring tipping story

Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
What a clueless bozo.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I bet if that patron ever eats in that restaurant again, and gets THAT waiter, he might get some holy water in his food...........if you get my drift !

Don

Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
People have been doing this kind of thing for years, like even back in the dark ages when I waited tables. They like to leave the same kind of thing around at retail stores, on counters, floors, whatever. I guess they're hoping someone will pick it up and have a revelation when they realize what they found isn't cash?

Why this is news is anyone's guess, it just another poor service worker getting stiffed, happens all the time.

When my in-laws left after visits with us, I'd often find Seventh Day Adventist propoganda and literature pointedly left on the dresser in the bedroom they used. Didn't work. I either pitched them or read them and had a good laugh. A friend suggested I mail them back with a note, "Did you forget these?"

Old 01-19-2016, 05:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Not trying to start a religious war here but I used to wait tables & those who went to church were always the worst tippers, to the point where I refused to work on Sundays it wasn't worth the gas.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I think the $20 fake religious brochure is really tacky. It is meant to be laid or dropped somewhere and to "fake somebody out," and talk about counter productive! That's terrible "religious marketing." "Let's see, I'll make someone mad and then preach at them."

That being said, I doubt that this was meant to replace an actual tip. The restaurant is a fast food, self serve burger joint - it's not a place where the workers usually get any sort of tip or where one is expected, and the guy who found the fake $20 bill is not actually a WAITER. When was the last time anyone on this thread tipped the person at the counter when ordering a burger?

There is a difference between a fast food worker wiping down a table in a fast food joint, and an actual waiter who waits on a table in a regular restaurant. I'm just sayin'. I don't know about y'all but I don't generally tip in a fast food restaurant, though I have on a very rare occasion. And I am a very generous tipper when it comes to tipping an actual waiter.

I still think the fake money thing is super tacky though.

https://www.facebook.com/222MulvaneDK/

Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Pretty obnoxious, but a little strange how this made the news.
I agree. And as usual, the media got some key elements a bit wrong, and was being inflammatory. To begin with, the worker who found the fake money is not a waiter per se. The restaurant is a fast food burger joint. Not many people, including most of the people on this thread I would bet, usually tip at a fast food joint.

Still - super tacky religious tract. Very counter productive.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:39 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,731 times
I've always taught my kids to tip 20% minimum. They've told me instances of going out with friends who don't even want to leave a dime. Both my kids were embarrassed by their friends behavior and have on multiple occasions thrown in a few extra dollars.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Still - super tacky religious tract. Very counter productive.
Tacky, tone deaf, and completely counter intuitive to the goal of the person who left it. Unfortunately I find that the select few people who have it in their personality to do something like that are never in touch with the people around them. They make the rest of the people they are associated with look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events