Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It probably made the news in that it's illegal to print fake bills that size. The government will go and shut down the printing company that did it.
That fact that they're printed at all is the interesting part of the story, here - someone, somewhere, assumed that there was a market for these mean-spirited "Gotcha!" pamphlets - and was right. And that's depressing.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
We always left decent tips, unless the service was plain awful, which was only 2-3 times in our life. However, now that both our kids work in restaurant, we tend to leave even more than we usually would. That server could just as likely be our son or daughter, struggling to make money for college tuition, car payment, etc. Besides, I find it easier to multiply by 30% than 15%

I feel the fake $20 "tip" to be just plain cruel. I would certainly not appreciate my kids getting that for a "tip"

Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That fact that they're printed at all is the interesting part of the story, here - someone, somewhere, assumed that there was a market for these mean-spirited "Gotcha!" pamphlets - and was right. And that's depressing.
I would love to know the success rate of tracs.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. And as usual, the media got some key elements a bit wrong, and was being inflammatory. To begin with, the worker who found the fake money is not a waiter per se. The restaurant is a fast food burger joint. Not many people, including most of the people on this thread I would bet, usually tip at a fast food joint.

Still - super tacky religious tract. Very counter productive.
He calls himself a waiter and has a wage of a waiter, not a fast food worker who makes minimum wage. They have "table" service. I live in KS, so trust me, this is a restaurant. I looked through all the info I could find. Waiter upset after discovering $20 tip was actually Bible pamphlet | fox8.com and it appears the person comes back and does the same thing: Teen Waiter Discovers $20 Tip Is Actually A Bible Pamphlet In Disguise - Inside Edition

Was sorry to see this was Kansas since I live here. That restaurant is probably about 2 hours away in a very small town. You have to be from KS to understand it I guess.

In one of the links I provide, it says the person has returned and still does this. I think it is disgusting.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,105 times
[quote=Sarahsez;42691375]Nothing really new here.
I worked in a pizza place and the after church crowd on Wednesday night and Sunday morning/lunch were overall the worst customers. They were messy, usually rude and didn't tip at all.

This has been mentioned many times on this thread about church goers tipping badly on Sunday's after services . A Pastor of a church I used to attend mentioned this in a sermon about being generous and showing Gods love to our community. He also mentioned that we as Christians should trip extra especially after church on Sunday's to show Gods love and generosity. Since then I almost always tip double on days we eat out after church . What the guy did who left no tip but a pamflet most likely had the opposite effect ...

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I don't know if you realize this, but the government assumes some made up minimal amount of tips when calculating taxes that people owe in a business where a large percentage of their income is tips.

So even if a waiter got no tips at all for a year, they would still be responsible for taxes on that minimal tip amount.

In other words, when people leave no tips, the waiter is actually paying out of his pocket.

Like it or not, the restaurant industry is set up in such a way that tips are not optional, they are expected.

As I said, in my time waiting tables, it worked out OK in the end. I wouldn't want to make a career out of this, but I could make relatively decent money while going to school full time and still getting a day off every week.

Usually the way I tip, I estimate 15% of the bill and round it up to the nearest dollar. Always up. It was considered fair in my day and I don't see why it's not fair now.

If the service is really good, it's 18-20%.

If the service is lackluster, 10%.

If the service is really bad, I would let the manager know. But more often, I'd just pay my 10% and leave a review on Yelp.

Leaving a tip of less than 15% for good service is stingy.

I do have a deeply religious Catholic friend who's normally a very nice, generous individual yet a terrible tipper. I don't know if that has anything to do with him being religious.
I understand it perfectly. I waitressed my way through school, in a few states. I also know that waiters don't declare all their tips, and usually only declare the minimum required to make up to the assumed minimal amount of tips. And never ONCE have I seen a waiter pitch a fit because they were left more than 20%, offer to give that money back, call the diner out on FB or declare every penny they make in tips.

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
I have no problem at all with the bible verse being left on the table, but leaving that AS the tip is just low. Now, if they had left that with a 5 dollar bill or something, this never would have made the news.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I would love to know the success rate of tracs.
Oh, it's amazing. They make the person leaving them behind feel better roughly 100% of the time.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,505 times
I actually had this happen once when I was very young. It was my first waitressing job, I was 16. I had to work Sunday brunch, it was a requirement when I got hired. I remember a family being borderline rude to me and then leaving me a bible card with no tip. I think they looked down on people who worked on Sunday because it is Sabbath Day and the day of rest. If that's true my question is why would you frequent a place that uses laborers that day then? It left me really upset. That was 18 years ago and I still remember it.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Dave Ramsey has a great rant on tips on youtube. He hates it when people do crap like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events