Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're "essentially" sterile, which is not to say they're absolutely sterile. 3-4 percent of their offspring survive. Under the right conditions, up to 15 percent of the offspring of Oxitec's genetically-modified male mosquitos will be viable.
And, as I understand it, 3% to 4% surviving offspring is more than enough to re-start a population after the population crash that results from the sterile males being introduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
[quote=Leisesturm;42875332]Scott Weaver (Univ. of Texas) says its "3 to 4 years before a Zika vaccine is available to the public". There may as well not be a vaccine. Millions upon millions will have been exposed by then. The immediate response everytime a new virus or bacteria appears is to ramp up R&D on a vaccine. A vaccine that will take years to reach market. Why bother. Zika has been around since 1947. It is inexcusable that only now is there any response from Big Pharma. Whatever millions might be shunted to the pharma labs should be given instead to the people looking into reduce mosquito populations, or the makers of insect repellents. Effective mosquito repellent can be nasty stuff. If I was pregnant I wouldn't want it anywhere near my developing baby. Maybe if we gave Johnson & Johnson enough money they could come up with something less toxic, but 100% effective. Hmmm maybe we should give Toms of Maine (tm) 5 million to see what they can do[/QUOTE

Avon Skin So Soft works. It has been used to repel mosquitoes for decades. That is the Original, not the new products they now make solely to repel mosquitoes. It smells wonderful to we humans, but apparently not to mosquitoes.

Back when we had the first outbreak of West Nile in NY in the 90's, so many Soccer Moms were using it that the Avon Lady couldn't keep up with the orders.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Scott Weaver (Univ. of Texas) says its "3 to 4 years before a Zika vaccine is available to the public". There may as well not be a vaccine. Millions upon millions will have been exposed by then. The immediate response everytime a new virus or bacteria appears is to ramp up R&D on a vaccine. A vaccine that will take years to reach market. Why bother. Zika has been around since 1947. It is inexcusable that only now is there any response from Big Pharma. Whatever millions might be shunted to the pharma labs should be given instead to the people looking into reduce mosquito populations, or the makers of insect repellents. Effective mosquito repellent can be nasty stuff. If I was pregnant I wouldn't want it anywhere near my developing baby. Maybe if we gave Johnson & Johnson enough money they could come up with something less toxic, but 100% effective. Hmmm maybe we should give Toms of Maine (tm) 5 million to see what they can do
I don't quite get your reasoning. If it takes 3 or 4 years, we all have to be very careful until then, maybe even need to go back to DDT for a while, or whatever. It's hardly futile.

I don't get you anger either. No one ever declared Zika a health emergency previously.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
"It's Obama's fault" in 4, 3, 2, . . . .

Mick

Old 02-03-2016, 01:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
My big question is that since Zika has been endemic in Africa for decades why hasn't it caused a lot of microencephaly there? Has the virus mutated once in South America?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't quite get your reasoning. If it takes 3 or 4 years, we all have to be very careful until then, maybe even need to go back to DDT for a while, or whatever. It's hardly futile.

I don't get you anger either. No one ever declared Zika a health emergency previously.
I don't know... maybe its me, but... after 3 years (4?) of 'being very careful', we might get pretty good at it, no? I know I would. Maybe, when (if) the time ever comes that a Zika vaccine is available, people will just save the $200USD that it will cost, thanks for nothing. Talk about a day late... ... A $6.95 bottle of Avon 'Skin So Soft' is just the biscuit, and no nasty potential side effects from rushed to market invasive technology.

Go back to DDT... ... oh man... DDT is banned. Do you imagine it wasn't for a very good reason? Does the premier Capitalist entity on the planet get in the way of a corporations ability to make money for any but the most dire of reasons? You didn't read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson I'm guessing. No. Just no. Our problem has always been that "protection from" in human terms means "elimination of". I'm secure enough in my manhood that if it means using a woman's moisturizer to allow the continued existence of mosquito's while remaining safe from them, then so be it. Finally, I am as angry as I am because many of us are not angry enough. The entities that are tasked with our collective well being are gorging themselves on the outrageous profit garnered from palliatives. There is little incentive to raise the bar any higher for all our sake's.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
My big question is that since Zika has been endemic in Africa for decades why hasn't it caused a lot of microencephaly there? Has the virus mutated once in South America?
Possibly, and possibly such babies simply don't survive there... ...

Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
I don't know... maybe its me, but... after 3 years (4?) of 'being very careful', we might get pretty good at it, no? I know I would. Maybe, when (if) the time ever comes that a Zika vaccine is available, people will just save the $200USD that it will cost, thanks for nothing. Talk about a day late... ... A $6.95 bottle of Avon 'Skin So Soft' is just the biscuit, and no nasty potential side effects from rushed to market invasive technology.

Go back to DDT... ... oh man... DDT is banned. Do you imagine it wasn't for a very good reason? Does the premier Capitalist entity on the planet get in the way of a corporations ability to make money for any but the most dire of reasons? You didn't read "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson I'm guessing. No. Just no. Our problem has always been that "protection from" in human terms means "elimination of". I'm secure enough in my manhood that if it means using a woman's moisturizer to allow the continued existence of mosquito's while remaining safe from them, then so be it. Finally, I am as angry as I am because many of us are not angry enough. The entities that are tasked with our collective well being are gorging themselves on the outrageous profit garnered from palliatives. There is little incentive to raise the bar any higher for all our sake's.
Yeah, I think it's just you. I mean, it takes time to develop a vaccine, but once you have it, you have it. There's a new cohort of people coming into the childbearing years every year. We used to not have polio vaccine either, so you just had to take your chances, but now we do.

If you have ACA compliant insurance, and this vaccine becomes part of the recommended schedule, your insurance will cover it for free at the point of service, regardless of whether you have met any deductibles. If you're under 18 and are uninsured or under-insured you can get vaccines from the Vaccines for Children program for free. VFC | Home | Vaccines for Children Program | CDC Here are some sources for low cost vaccines for adults: How To Get Low-Cost Vaccines for Uninsured Adults

Yes, I know DDT was banned. Why else would I have said "maybe even need to go back to DDT" . I know why it was banned which is why I said "for a while". I am not as ignorant as you presume me to be. A health emergency for people just might take precedence over wildlife.

"Skin So Soft" is a popular folk mosquito repellant; however, it doesn't work all that well.
Researchers Who Need To Avoid Mosquito Bites Tell What Works For them : Goats and Soda : NPR
Note that nothing is 100% effective in preventing mosquito bites.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:06 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
As usual, the WHO is way behind the curve on this one, just as they were on the West African Ebola epidemic.

What do you expect of a UN organization?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Scott Weaver (Univ. of Texas) says its "3 to 4 years before a Zika vaccine is available to the public". There may as well not be a vaccine. Millions upon millions will have been exposed by then. The immediate response everytime a new virus or bacteria appears is to ramp up R&D on a vaccine. A vaccine that will take years to reach market. Why bother. Zika has been around since 1947. It is inexcusable that only now is there any response from Big Pharma. Whatever millions might be shunted to the pharma labs should be given instead to the people looking into reduce mosquito populations, or the makers of insect repellents. Effective mosquito repellent can be nasty stuff. If I was pregnant I wouldn't want it anywhere near my developing baby. Maybe if we gave Johnson & Johnson enough money they could come up with something less toxic, but 100% effective. Hmmm maybe we should give Toms of Maine (tm) 5 million to see what they can do
There was no reason to produce a vaccine before now because the link to microcephaly was not known. The illness it causes is otherwise benign. At least one vaccine may be ready for testing later this year

There will never be a repellent that is totally risk free and 100% effective.

DEET is safe during pregnancy, and the benefit in reducing exposure to mosquitoes and diseases they can spread justifies using it.

http://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/...pregnancy/pdf/

Mosquito control is obviously necessary, too, but not a substitute for a Zika vaccine. it could be given to women prior to childbearing age, specifically to target those at risk to have a child with microcephaly caused by the virus. We do the same thing for rubella now. Women are tested and if they are not immune to rubella they are offered the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events