Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times

Advertisements

Pawn shops serve a variety of people. At least in LA.

I once talked to a guy on an airplane who was a pawn shop manager, he sure was proud about getting people to take low ball prices on everything, but it seemed like that was more a game than a scam to him (he never refered to anyone as a sucker, just that he would ask them what they needed or what they wanted and if that was low ball for the item he went with it, if asked the spot price for gold he'd give it, but he wasn't about to give everyone full worth).

What was really interesting was the range of goods he'd get, lots of people buying stuff they couldn't afford and selling it for pennies on the dollar to pay rent, but plenty of guys who had their wealth tied up in assets and not liquid. Guys who needed Vegas money, and would get loans on Rolex'es and would pick them up after the weekend, producers needing a bit more cash for an independent film pawning coin collections on the short term while they work out financing, and even one guy who he was certain pawned his high value items whenever he Air B-n-B'd his home on long weekends.

Are they awful? What's the alternative? No one else is going to do the high end, and on the low end these people are often unbanked and have awful credit, they have no where else.

I've never used a pawn shop, and the couple times I've gone into one to look for things I've had lost or stolen I found prices that were on par with new retail, no bargains at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I like to watch the show Pawn Stars. People bring in interesting things.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:18 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like to watch the show Pawn Stars. People bring in interesting things.
Pawn Stars has a lot of ringers bringing in staged items. Pawn shops tend to serve the same crowd that get pay day loans or car title loans they are people without traditional credit or very bad credit and they have limited options when unexpected or just everyday expenses come up. It is generally an endless cycle with these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events