Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
My thoughts? It is one more loss of rights and another step closer to total tyranny. The Fed govt is a criminal enterprise at this point.
Either we limit who can come in to our country or we limit terrorist tools, including electronic devices. Preferably a little of each.

But the state of affairs cannot go on where terrorists perceive a right to "fight" people at a holiday party or sitting in the World Trade Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Based on the new details this seems to be a strong arm tactic by the government to get access to cellphones.

-password got changed by the county AFTER they got the cellphone back
-FBI wants to be able to hack into a phone via bluetooth or wireless. (now they don't even need the phone in possession)
-Apple has been fighting off hundreds upon hundreds of LE's across the US since 2008 about unlocking iPhones and Apple has stated this has only come from US LE's. No other country has asked Apple to do this.

And now the FBI is saying that people's lives are at stake if they don't get the cellphone unlocked.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Sigh. If you enter the wrong password 10 times the data is erased. The FBI want Apple to install something that will bypass this
Okay, thanks, but I personally do not use an iPHone and although I've encountered programs that DO shut you out if a certain amount of failed attempts occur, I didn't know that this was the case in this instance.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
So we are back to the argument of what's more important...protecting the so called "privacy" of an individual(hint....privacy doesn't exist anymore in any shape or form) or perhaps getting the data from someone's phone that might lead to saving some lives down the road if the information on this phone opens up new leads.

The paranoia side says it's a Pandora's box/this might happen sure sounds high and mighty until it bites one's loved one/family member and they die because of this belief. The other side will say this is what "they" want you to think, chomping away at your rights/privacy one step at a time until you're in "their" back pocket. Again, I think privacy is long gone and those trying to hang on to a thread of it here or there that basically exists in theory is a bit naive. Want a good deal more privacy? Start by not having a smartphone, computer, or use the web in any manner. That's the best way to remain "private" these days. Otherwise one's life is an open book. Welcome to reality.

With all that said, on the specifics of the matter:

Why You Should Care About Apple

"“Essentially, the government is asking Apple to create a master key so that it can open a single phone,” the Electronic Frontier Foundation wrote in a statement supporting Apple. “And once that master key is created, we’re certain that our government will ask for it again and again, for other phones, and turn this power against any software or device that has the audacity to offer strong security.”"

"In today’s digital world, the “key” to an encrypted system is a piece of information that unlocks the data, and it is only as secure as the protections around it. Once the information is known, or a way to bypass the code is revealed, the encryption can be defeated by anyone with that knowledge."

Assumptions here that it will be asked for "again and again". Perhaps it will. If so, or if it's used once, 5 times, or 1000 times, why couldn't this method be used just in these cases under tight control without letting the key be unleashed to every iphone far and wide which apple and others are so nervous about? Keep things under tight control at the fbi so the key "information" won't be "known" except in a tight lab environment. What's wrong with that approach?

And if apple won't do what they are being asked to do, perhaps the gov will let McAfee's team hack into it:

http://www.cultofmac.com/413087/john...phone-for-fbi/

Old 02-20-2016, 02:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
WTF? Your telling me the FREAKING FBI CANT OPEN A DUMB IPHONE?!?! This worries me that a government agency cant hack an iPhone
They should talk to the Saudis or the Israelis. Neither of those countries allows sale of cell phones that do not contain a back door access. They could access the data and even show the FBI how to do it, assuming the FBI can gain the necessary security clearances. The CIA can access the data, but apparently doesn't trust the FBI to keep it secret.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:04 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,140 times
I'll side with FBI. Both are watching us, but FBI depends on Apple more than Apple depends on FBI, and this disposition bothers me. I don't want 2 companies holding control over the entire Earth, but MS and Apple do have it already. So I want to have some other powers to confront them, just for preserving the balance.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:37 AM

932 posts, read 898,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
When you join CD you create a password, this password is then encrypted so that the people who run CD can't use it to access your account or find your password and give it to you if you can't remember it. That's why if you forget your password YOU have to reset, no one else can.

This is how most Internet accounts like Facebook or Gmail that require a password are protected.

It's in everyone's best interest that nobody can hack in to your phone.

You are sooooooooo Wrong

Cd (City Data) does not use HTTPS, why I dont know. Their passwords are NOT encrypted

Old 02-20-2016, 04:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
People, it has just come to light that the government reset the password AFTER they got the phone back.
And now they can't get into it because they don't know the password ?

Someone in the government had to enter a new password when it got reset by them.
And they can't figure out who did it ?

Old 02-20-2016, 05:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default Your thoughts on the Apple vs. FBI situation?

It's disappointing to see Apple taking the side of the terrorists.

My bet is that if a child of one of the top level executives at Apple were kidnapped, and the FBI nabbed one of the kidnappers and his phone, with critical info stored in that phone, Apple would have that thing unblocked in short order.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 AM

777 posts, read 1,871,911 times
Privacy schmivacy. Apple should behave as a good corporate citizen and unlock the phone. Period!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events