Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I'm not naive enough to assume they are ONLY doing this for their customers, but to say they are only doing it for themselves is false.

I do genuinely believe that Apple DOES care for its customers and their privacy.
There's nothing on my cell phone that is of much interest to anyone, lots of pics of trees and cats and dogs, texts to my son wondering if he'd still alive since he never got back to me. Oh, and I loaded a bunch of music on it since its got good sound and it makes a good player. I already ask and intend to keep it just to stuff full of music.

Generally, though, I'm not that thrilled. So when the contract is up I'm thinking of a new one. I just may look into Apple because I like their stand. I know I'd never put my card number on the present one to pay a bill so it might be more useful than being a way to listen to music.

How can people not get upset when the government goes imperial on its citizens and demands a company give them the way into everyone with an I phone personal info without any justification? Data Security has LONG been a debate, and it looks like the FBI is trying to shut it down. But if Apple says they have no key, then I believe them. Experts have said before the only secure system is one without one. And its not one absolute or the other. The thing which matters most is the precident which must NOT be done giving the government a blank warrent for anything anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There's nothing on my cell phone that is of much interest to anyone, lots of pics of trees and cats and dogs, texts to my son wondering if he'd still alive since he never got back to me. Oh, and I loaded a bunch of music on it since its got good sound and it makes a good player. I already ask and intend to keep it just to stuff full of music.

Generally, though, I'm not that thrilled. So when the contract is up I'm thinking of a new one. I just may look into Apple because I like their stand. I know I'd never put my card number on the present one to pay a bill so it might be more useful than being a way to listen to music.

How can people not get upset when the government goes imperial on its citizens and demands a company give them the way into everyone with an I phone personal info without any justification? Data Security has LONG been a debate, and it looks like the FBI is trying to shut it down. But if Apple says they have no key, then I believe them. Experts have said before the only secure system is one without one. And its not one absolute or the other. The thing which matters most is the precident which must NOT be done giving the government a blank warrent for anything anywhere.
Just because you don't care doesn't mean everyone shouldn't care.

What about Apple pay people ?
What about businesses with sensitive email/voicemail/customer lists ?

Others have all their financial info on there with passwords for banks, brokerages, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You must have missed where I suggested that Apple keep the process proprietary and give the data to the FBI as a printout.

If the Chinese can't hack into the phones already out there, how would they be able to hack into this one that Apple keeps in its vault?

How is it I have the same software on both a macbook and a windows platform desktop, yet only the windows is exposed to viruses, trojans, spyware? My understanding is that it has something to do with the operating platform. And that's what they're going to have to backdoor on the iPhone, leaving it vulnerable and open to hacking.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you don't think that hackers all over the world are trying -- and will eventually be successful -- in hacking the iPhone?
All I know is, that in the number of years the Mac's and iPhone's have been on the market, it hasn't happened yet.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All I know is, that in the number of years the Mac's and iPhone's have been on the market, it hasn't happened yet.
As compared to Microsoft products that have more holes then swiss cheese and have constant "security updates" and require the need to run additional software for protection.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:52 PM

Here is a very good article, not too techie on why Apple CANNOT crack this iPhone, a 5c running the latest iOS.

iPhones today are very secure phones. And there is a reason with all the data/access they now store as well as securing the phone so that Apple Pay would be secure.

Apple has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure you don't get malware apps (each app is strictly sandboxed) like what happens with Android apps that can access data of other apps.

iPhone encryption security features explained | BGR

Old 02-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here is a very good article, not too techie on why Apple CANNOT crack this iPhone, a 5c running the latest iOS.

iPhones today are very secure phones. And there is a reason with all the data/access they now store as well as securing the phone so that Apple Pay would be secure.

Apple has gone to a lot of trouble to make sure you don't get malware apps (each app is strictly sandboxed) like what happens with Android apps that can access data of other apps.

iPhone encryption security features explained | BGR

Silly you. Some people haven't read any of the information we've already provided. What makes you think they'll read this?

But for those of us keeping up, thanks for the link.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Silly you. Some people haven't read any of the information we've already provided. What makes you think they'll read this?

But for those of us keeping up, thanks for the link.
Yeah..I'm about done here trying.

The government had their opportunities 3 different times via 3 different agencies to connect the links with Mrs. Terrorist. And they dropped the ball each and every time.

Yet..all of America is at risk of being blown up or shot by terrorists unless the FBI can get the last 30 days of data off a government owned work iPhone.

All that security that Apple worked hard to provide just shot to hell because the government said "gimme, gimme, gimme" invoking a law from colonial times.

And there's probably nothing on that phone for the last 30 days that they haven't already got.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:05 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:

The government had their opportunities 3 different times via 3 different agencies to connect the links with Mrs. Terrorist. And they dropped the ball each and every time.

Yet..all of America is at risk of being blown up or shot by terrorists unless the FBI can get the last 30 days of data off a government owned work iPhone.

All that security that Apple worked hard to provide just shot to hell because the government said "gimme, gimme, gimme" invoking a law from colonial times.

And there's probably nothing on that phone for the last 30 days that they haven't already got.
And, what is really sad is that according to the national news tonight, 51% of Americans agree with the FBI rather than Apple, and would happily give up their privacy. Again, if you give up your freedom to be 'safe' you will be neither free nor safe.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:

People should be as angry about the fact that these dopes rely on documents where those coming to live here are asked if they're sympathetic to, or have ties to, any terrorist groups. As though these animals will feel compelled to be honest.

You fear for national security? Where is the bandwagon decrying the ridiculous lack of screening in this regard?

Oh wait, there isn't one because in some minds, the government does a swell job, always has our best interests at heart, and is above reproach. Kinda similar to Germany circa 1940.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events